Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Oxtozine

Default Abnormal extra stinger on ray

Hello guys, a few weeks ago, i noticed that my female motoro (which was due for stinger shedding) was growing a new stinger in place of the old one. However, a few days after the new stinger emerged, a third stinger came out as well. This third stinger isn't growing the usual way. it points upwards and curls. i dont know how to describe, but pictures are below.

i have been keeping my pair of rays for 8 months and this is my first pair of rays and have no previous ray-keeping experience. my concern is, is there any physical deformities (now and future) i should be worried about? has anyone experienced the same thing? i've browsed through the forum and usually only one stinger replaces the old one.

thanks guys for your time.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
12bucklemyshoe

If im not mistaken, its possible to have 2 stings. Correct me if im wrong. . I think theres nthg to worry abt.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

If i m not wrong the bottom is the replacement and the top is going to drop soon. Mine gotten lost in my tank with black sand LOL
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
Oxtozine

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
If i m not wrong the bottom is the replacement and the top is going to drop soon. Mine gotten lost in my tank with black sand LOL
hmm, but there are 3 stingers. the one which is leaning off to one side is the old one. the new sting is hard to see cos its flushed straight in line with the tail
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

Most prob the bottom will be the new one, the others will drop. I cant monitor mine. Its too dark LOL even with lights on
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

TS, dun worry. im sure either 1 or 2 stingers will drop off in the following few days. btw, i do not think that having additional stingers constitute deformity in a ray.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Nevin
Dragon

if you not keeping other tank mate with them, then should not be worry about is so much.
let the old sting drop off fist and see what happen in next.

if you don't like the curve sting which growing upwards, then you can cut it off, but be careful during the operation period.
Nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Delon

IMO as long as it's not a parasite growth, it's ok. If I have a ray with additional 5 stingers, I might even sell it for additional 5K. .......
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
squeeze

as long as the ray is healthy and eating well, I would not worry so much about it
Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Oxtozine

Thanks guys for the fast and reassuring replies!
It's eating well as usual But theres always the risk of the other male ray scratching itself when he glides over her. I dont have other tankmates, so nothing to worry about there.