Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 21-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
jwhtan
Barney

My views on dropeyes are as follows

1. Habit, which is based on the tank it is in, the size, lightings, tankmates. This can be corrected easily in a pond or FGT.

2. Injury, which can be from fights or knocks arising from jumps, thus loosening the eye sockets. This is very much more difficult to correct. For serious cases, I am not positive this can be corrected at all.

3. Genetics. This happen, as you may have already noticed, to most Silvers. I am also not positive that this can be corrected.

I am not inclined towards this fatty tissue behind the eyes thingy. And that is because I have seen many well built aros without dropeyes at all.

I am no guru, may be wrong and stand corrected.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #22
Nomis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
Simon,

What is your take concerning DE ? pls feel free to share. Thks.

btw, we shld see result in just few weeks.
Seriously i view these as "perfections" owners want their beloved aros to be.

Say we do chip scale removal, tanning of reds, WTT to XBs ,cutting off crooked finages ,slitting off finage for bigger fins and even cutting of accessive "lips" against plj ....

All these are methods owners/farm owners want these fishes to be nice and perfect ,evenso bringing out its fullest potential at younger age whilst confining them into certain conditions or operations.

But again, i'm not in favour on some of these methods used,there may be other ways of grooming your pet in an environment that they will display their best in the ideal condition then subjecting them to such process.

There again, what is "ideal-condition" as many may wonder??

Nonetheless, i'm not totally against DE ops but rather concern if this method is a "fool-proof" or "flawless" as such that the DE doesn't re-occur.

As much as the "re-transplanting" of good scales to defective scales done on top graded Kois which will eventually shows success in the procedure, i'm still doubtful that DE ops will cure the aros in long term. ( unless the environment is changes as suggested by some experts here.)

The above just my personal views and experience.

Once again , will be glad if i could see these ops done years back and it fully recovers thereafter ...

Simon
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
Chuan
Arofanatic

I wonder why some aro will develop DE on one of its eye and not both, since subjected to same height level and environment. cheers.
Chuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
AroHong

AFC Member

Default Aro Dropped Eye Op/Pond Treatment

IMHO whether to operate or keep in pond to treat drop eye is quite subjective.

Although we some are saying drop eye will be cured if fish is kept in pond or fgt, I have not personally experience or seen anyone actually curing a aro of drop eye by this method.

I personally feel that operation is needed if the degree of drop eye is very bad, eg. the lower part of the eye is already covered by the lower eye lid. In this case I suspect that even if the fish were to be housed in a pond over an extended period of say 1 year, the drop eye may not recover since the lower eyelid is restricting the eye from moving up. The lower eyelid needs to be trimmed to allow the eye to move back to its original position.

I have personally witnessed a few operations and drop eye normally occurs on one eye. Due to the eye looking down, a cavity is created on top allowing for fats to build up, in many cases the other eye does not carry this large fat deposit.

My personal experience is that food is not the issue, I have had 100% Mp diet aros getting drop eye. I feel drop eye is due to environment alone and not genetics, if its genetics pond aros should also develop drop eye. We can still change the environment even if we can't move the tank - by simply introducing a current/powerhead to change the swimming direction of the aro.

Just my personal observation, hope this post does not offend anyone.
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #26
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Default Day 11 after Op

still eating v well ...
Old 31-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #27
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

just glad he's eating as usual.... *phewwwww
Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
menthol28
Dragon

from my pov, de is caused by 2 factors combined together. 1.visibilty of enviroment. 2.characteristic of the aro but mainly caused by enviroment also.

my assumption is that, if aro housed in tank enviroment with clear visibilty and the aro is inquistive and keeps looking down for some reasons unknow then the possiblity of DE is high, but if aro housed in clear tank but keeps its focus on looking straight, the eye mucles would remain firm thus no DE. the reason why i din include fatty tissues as one of the reason its becos all fish eyes got fatty tissues ard the eyes.
ppl might ask how come aft op to take out the fats, eye is restored to normal? 1 logical reason to me is that when the aro keeps straining itself looking down there will be a void(space) at the eyeball area and fats will in certain period of time accumulate to fill up the space thus causing permanent DE. so aft fats removed, eye will be back in position.
why aros with DE placed in pond will be cured aft certain period of time? might be becos visibility is poor and aro is forced to focus and concentrate to look at eye level and therefore its muscle at eye area is put to good use. when the muscle is pulling becos aro is focusing than the fatty tissues will be slowly pushed back in, thus curing DE.
just sharing my amatuer fish keeping 2 cents worth and above mentioned are just my own assumptions

Last edited by menthol28; 02-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.
menthol28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #29
menthol28
Dragon

i also have a very good case example, my own red has DE and for almost 1 yr plus i neglected it becos of time and loss of interest in the hobby. for all these while, it stay in a tank full of algae growing on the glass with no visibilty out of the tank. i only do water top up and throw in SW or BF, never even cleared the algae. when i look at my tank, i only can see shades of the aro swimming. aft feeling bad that i abused it, i decided to have a major clean up and introduce gradual WC regime. i was shocked when i saw its DE 80% cured. this might be becos my tank when fulled of algae with no visibilty, forced the aro into to looking straight and not out of the tank. making it work the eye muscle thus pushing back the fatty tissues.
menthol28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #30
|JTBC|
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post

still eating v well ...
Looking good on the pic.
Possible to show a video update? TIA.
|JTBC| is offline   Reply With Quote