Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 15-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
ajudec
Dragon

Default Need Help: Led Strips

hi guys i need help on this. i currently have a 3 tiered rack for my bettas and require a cheap and easy way to light up each tier.

i'm looking towards 3 strips of low voltage, 75cm white/yellowish led led lights. hope to be able to combine all the wiring into just one plug too, possible?
ajudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
thomas-seah
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajudec View Post
hi guys i need help on this. i currently have a 3 tiered rack for my bettas and require a cheap and easy way to light up each tier.

i'm looking towards 3 strips of low voltage, 75cm white/yellowish led led lights. hope to be able to combine all the wiring into just one plug too, possible?
of course u can, bro. go pay sim lim tower a visit.
thomas-seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
ajudec
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas-seah View Post
of course u can, bro. go pay sim lim tower a visit.
hmm bro, thanks alot! did that last month but was quoted a mindblowing amount... thought it might be cheaper... but oh well... thanks anyway.

my friend suggested t5 tubes. that should be an alternative too yeah?
Old 18-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

If you are looking for a cheap and easy way to light up your betta racks, I think T5 tubes are way too powerful. Why not just buy flourescent tubesets? Most lighting shop should have them rather cheapy if you aren't going for any fancy setups.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
cherabin
Arofanatic

LEDs will be more cost efficient in terms of running cost but as you mentioned, the initial setup cost is prohibitive. Low setup cost will be along the line of T8 or PLL if you really need more 'powerful' lighting.

All the best in your quest for light
cherabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Loudness

You can check our sinta electronic near SLS, used to go there to get equipment for my dnt project during secondary sch days. 90063559. Not sure the shop still there or is the number still in use. Just tell the uncle what you want to do, he can help u get all the stuff and u DIY urself.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
thomas-seah
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajudec View Post
hmm bro, thanks alot! did that last month but was quoted a mindblowing amount... thought it might be cheaper... but oh well... thanks anyway.

my friend suggested t5 tubes. that should be an alternative too yeah?
cannot be leh... maybe they 1 2 chop u carrot ? ...

i bought my 18" strip with adapter just for $17 nia.

i'm currently using T5 although i've got the LED set, cos it isn't bright enough. to be precise, it's dim !
thomas-seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Planted

LED will lose out to t5, PL light is better for viewing, however, it will stress betta as betta likes dim light. I bought my PL light from those DIY shop at like $21 for a 2ft set which i can mount on my study table rack, so i put my betta under the light on my study table.

Distance between light and betta is about 1.5ft apart.
Old 19-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
ajudec
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
If you are looking for a cheap and easy way to light up your betta racks, I think T5 tubes are way too powerful. Why not just buy flourescent tubesets? Most lighting shop should have them rather cheapy if you aren't going for any fancy setups.
i will surely check them out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherabin View Post
LEDs will be more cost efficient in terms of running cost but as you mentioned, the initial setup cost is prohibitive. Low setup cost will be along the line of T8 or PLL if you really need more 'powerful' lighting.

All the best in your quest for light
may i enquire what PLL is? thanks alot for your useful suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudness View Post
You can check our sinta electronic near SLS, used to go there to get equipment for my dnt project during secondary sch days. 90063559. Not sure the shop still there or is the number still in use. Just tell the uncle what you want to do, he can help u get all the stuff and u DIY urself.
oh yes i remember my sec days also have to go there! lol, i shall go there to enquire, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas-seah View Post
cannot be leh... maybe they 1 2 chop u carrot ? ...

i bought my 18" strip with adapter just for $17 nia.

i'm currently using T5 although i've got the LED set, cos it isn't bright enough. to be precise, it's dim !
that's what i thought also, i mean, it just doesn't look like its worth that price... that salesgirl some more give me that guailan face when quoting me, just said thanks but no thanks and left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
LED will lose out to t5, PL light is better for viewing, however, it will stress betta as betta likes dim light. I bought my PL light from those DIY shop at like $21 for a 2ft set which i can mount on my study table rack, so i put my betta under the light on my study table.

Distance between light and betta is about 1.5ft apart.
you are right about not having too bright a lighting system becos i don't wanna stress them out... may i know what PL is? will be ecploring options till i find the perfect type as i'm not in a hurry

thanks all for your inputs!
Old 19-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Planted

PL is those normal lighting. About 15watt or so. Light intensity(penetrating ability) will be lesser than T5. Good enough to show coloration.

Do include some plants to beautify ur betta tank.

U can pm me and i can send u some pictures to share.