Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 25-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #41
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Impurities in salt? Try putting good filter wool in your HOB (the supplied one sucks) to trap the suspended debris.
not sure if its precipitation or something else... can see its milky/chalky and not debris that caused the cloudiness.. bought new salt already and will do 50% wc tml before live sand and live rock goes in tomorrow. Very excited!
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #42
illumnae
Dragon

If you're going to be keeping sand sifting creatures like pistol shrimp/goby pair or miniature wrasses, make sure you position the live rock firmly on the ground first before pouring the sand in.

You will definitely need filter floss to filter out debris after you pour the sand in!
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
If you're going to be keeping sand sifting creatures like pistol shrimp/goby pair or miniature wrasses, make sure you position the live rock firmly on the ground first before pouring the sand in.

You will definitely need filter floss to filter out debris after you pour the sand in!
ive read online saying that thicker sand bed (thick enough for burrowers) often causes problem after 6 months.. i'll be going for just a very thin layer for aesthetic purposes.

Noted! will put live rock in first before sand.. and i'll add additional filter floss other than the stock one to filter debris.
Old 27-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #44
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Today marks the day my dream comes true... thought all along ever since 2007 i've been keeping only freshwater fishes but always have this dream of having a marine tank.. but only till now did i get a chance to set up my first ever marine tank.. though small but its a good start i guess!

preparing tank for set up.. using 5lbs of Caribsea live sand. and 4 KG of live rocks (bought from a reefer who very kindly chose out those with coraline algae for me, Thank you again if ur reading this!)

inital rock scape., Since its my first time, i had totally no idea how the rock should be placed.. i just try to make sure it flows through well..

After a few hours of cycling, water is almost crystal clear now.. the right bottom rock rests fully on the sand, is this ok? will it start trapping detritus?

More accurate light color.. not really that blue like the above picture.. the 6x3w (4 white 2 blue) beamswork LED light is really bright, creating those light rays.. beautiful.

Turns out the 1000l/hr dolphin HOB flowrate seems to be just nice to push the flow through the rocks and towards the back.. seems like a smooth flow overall.. or should i be aiming for a faster flow?

I've got a couple few more questions anyway..

1) i've got Seachem purigen and Rowaphos now, should i add them in my HOB now or wait till cycle finishes?

2) I read that coraline algaes needs light to grow.. how long should i on my light for now?

3) Should i do WC during cycling period? (intend to leave it to cycle for a month)

4) i got this Iwarna top-up water free from another reefer and the bottle states that it promotes growth of coraline algae, but it dosn't state the amount to dose for my 34L tank.. any idea?

Thanks in advance and apologies for all this questions.. and thanks to all those who have helped me extensively so far.. i appreciated it alot.
Old 27-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #45
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Old 28-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #46
Royston
Dragon

I'm still a newbie infact my pico tank just crashed not long ago due to some corals I got from Vietnam I'll help to answer in what ways from my experience with other reefers' help along the way. Maybe we can go shopping for livestock together pm me if you are interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post

I've got a couple few more questions anyway..

1) i've got Seachem purigen and Rowaphos now, should i add them in my HOB now or wait till cycle finishes?

Seachem purigen later your tank need to cycle without the help of your purigen which helps to get rid of nitrites & nitrates. Rowaphos now as you may want to get rid of possible phosphate in your tank which can feed diatom. (Thou all/most new tank will go through this process till the micro algue are established then the diatom will go away slowly)

2) I read that coraline algaes needs light to grow.. how long should i on my light for now?

Just 4hrs max from fellow reefers' suggestion you don't want to grow pest algue so soon. You can on the blue "moonlight for viewing longer. My mix is 4hrs (white & blue then 2-3hrs "moonlight" after).

3) Should i do WC during cycling period? (intend to leave it to cycle for a month)

I'll change mine but only small changes like 10~15% as my live rocks are encrusted with soft coral & zoas.

4) i got this Iwarna top-up water free from another reefer and the bottle states that it promotes growth of coralline algae, but it dosn't state the amount to dose for my 34L tank.. any idea?

Less is more maybe you can call Irwana for more info. To grow coralline algue you just need some scraping of coralline algue from a "season reefer's tank" or live rocks & once you tank is in a balance after cycle they will "auto" grow. (I got mine from my live rocks & turbo snails) Please don't waste $ buying solution for coralline aglue growth. If your reef tank is not growing it your tank is not having "reef frenly" perimeters yet. Just visit other reefer's house & carry a razor blade & ask for permission to "scrape" their tanks or live rocks hahaha
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #47
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Hey, thanks royston, im so sorry for your loss..hopefully you'll be back stronger!

my rocks already have quite abit of coraline algae. will adjust lighting to 4 hours and add rowaphos.. thanks for ur help!!!
Old 28-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #48
xersion
Dragon

Quote:
Hey, thanks royston, im so sorry for your loss..hopefully you'll be back stronger!

my rocks already have quite abit of coraline algae. will adjust lighting to 4 hours and add rowaphos.. thanks for ur help!!!
Coraline need high CA and Mag to grow and maintain low phosphates

it take about 6 mths before it start to spread to your glass and rocks...
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #49
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xersion View Post
Coraline need high CA and Mag to grow and maintain low phosphates

it take about 6 mths before it start to spread to your glass and rocks...
im using Red Sea Coral pro salt.. CA and Mag should be high enough...
Thanks for ur info!
Old 28-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #50
xersion
Dragon

Quote:
im using Red Sea Coral pro salt.. CA and Mag should be high enough...
Thanks for ur info!
heard blue light play a part also...
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote