Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 15-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #11
Bezz

Also sometimes its more cost efficient to switch on aircon. This way can cool all tanks in room.
Old 15-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
KPeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane
Not only CRS needs cold temperature, some exotics plants, killies and moss do better or can only live in cool water.

It is really up to oneself to see if the spending on electricity bill is justifiable for the hobby. Not everyone will to spent an overhead on high electrical bill, a months of tens of dollars on electrical bill maybe too much for $0.35 bee shrimps.

Brother... Cant seem to see yr pics on petfrd.... Can repost the pics?
Old 15-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
biljas
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane
EHHK,
Not a problem to show u how to DIY, I had an article making use of the same concept to cool down a tank. This time, I use direct cooling to achieve better result, instead of passing water to cool in a reservior in the old method. However, to DIY a TEM (Themoeletric Module)/Peltier based chiller for 2 feet tank is rather ambition, due to the large amount of heat to be disspated. I know that a bro is using a extra huge TEM to make a chiller good for 2 feet, will get update from him. With our climate, using TEC as an heat exchanger is more realistic to cool down a 1 feet or 1.2 feet, any large size tank will have to resolve the large amount of heat produced.

humvee,
The heart of the integrated chiller is a TEM which is used as an heat exchanger. I bought my TEm from USA using mail order, I heard that Sim Lim Tower is selling too. Other than this part, it is heat sink and cold fin, which can get from Sim Lim Tower too. An old PC PSU can be used to drive the TEM and fans on heatsink.

the_r0ck,
I guess from the above replies, you have already known the trick is in TEM, it has one side hot and one side cold. The cold side draw heat from tank to cool the water.

Note that by using TEM, lower temperatuer can be achieved compare to cooling fans, and there is no evaporation of water.

Hi Bro Silane, a bit confuse on how the above works. Any pictures to show?
How much does the TEM cost?
biljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #14
lukeskwr
Dragon

am i right to say it works something like how we cool our cpu using heatsink but here we use TEM? correct me if i'm wrong
lukeskwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
silane
Senior Dragon

KPeck,

That was an old attempt in using cooling reservior, found that it is not that good. So this time, I directly put a non-corrosive heatsink into the water. Will post some of the old pics, hope will help to visualise to apply the same concept into direct cooling.

biljas,
Will take for picture if I unassemble it, this time, I didnt take step by step pictures. A TEM is about $20.

lukeskwr,
Yes, but CPU heatsink can cool down to lowest is room temperature, TEM can cool down below room temperature.

Last edited by silane; 15-12-2005 at 12:13 PM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #16
biljas
Arofanatic

Yes, but CPU heatsink can cool down to lowest is room temperature, TEM can cool down below room temperature.[/QUOTE]

Hi Silane, given that your 1 ft tank can cool down to 22 degrees Centrigrade, any idea for a 2 ft or 3 ft what do you think the temp can be lowered to assuming using the same $20 TEM you are using.

If can reduce more than what a fan can w/o sacrificing loss of water from evaporation, i think is worth the "extra" electrical bill.

So all i need is the TEM and a PSU power supply is it?
biljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biljas
Yes, but CPU heatsink can cool down to lowest is room temperature, TEM can cool down below room temperature.

Hi Silane, given that your 1 ft tank can cool down to 22 degrees Centrigrade, any idea for a 2 ft or 3 ft what do you think the temp can be lowered to assuming using the same $20 TEM you are using.

If can reduce more than what a fan can w/o sacrificing loss of water from evaporation, i think is worth the "extra" electrical bill.

So all i need is the TEM and a PSU power supply is it?

Dont even think to use TEM to cool down a 2ft and above, the heat need to deal with is just too much. A higher rating TEM will be needed for this case because a larger tank has more heat generated. Not worth the effort to make a TEM base chiller for 2ft and above.

TEM based chiller is good for small or nano tank, as it take little space and easy to use.

Basic parts are:
- TEM
- cold find
- heatsink and fan
- power supply
Old 15-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #18
lukeskwr
Dragon

ok, looks like a design for a 3ft is either a real big one or best get a chiller.
lukeskwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskwr
ok, looks like a design for a 3ft is either a real big one or best get a chiller.
yes, indeed, a refrigerant based chiller is needed for 2 and above tank.
Old 17-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #20
Royston
Dragon

Phase Change cooling system for more than 3ft ? Alrdy running a o/c pc using phase change dunnoe if use on my tank how far will the electric bill come in.....
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote