Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 16-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
gryphon
Arofanatic

Default External temperature probe for Haliea 150A

Can anyone advise how do I modify the Haliea 150A chiller to use an external temperature probe (thermostat)?
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
gryphon
Arofanatic

All thanks to the help from the various bros, I have managed to modify my Haliea 150A chiller to use an external temperature probe. Just want to share with other bros who are interested in this DIY. The modification took me less that 20min.

The external temperature probe/sensor was purchased from Sim Lim Tower (NOT Sim Lim Square) B1. It is the shop near the escalator, just ask if they sell Fox temperature controllers.
Bros here have successfully used 2 similar models (same price), FN-200N's replacement temperature probe which has a long metal probe/sensor or a NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor. I have bought the latter, picture as shown below.

First remove the front panel of the Haliea 150A chiller by pulling from the bottom of the panel.

Next use your fingers (both hands will be easier) to reach behind the display panel to locate 2 tabs and press them down and push out the front panel.

The 2 tabs which I am refering to are circled below.

You can see that there is a pair of wires (red and black) which is connected to the internal water tank's temperature probe/sensor. Disconnect the connector (circled below) and attach the external temperature probe/sensor to it (attach to the end that is connected to the display panel). To attach the external temperature probe/sensor to the connector, you can use soldering iron to solder the points together.
Note that for the NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor, you need to connect the wire with white words to the red wire and the other plain black wire to the black wire.

You can calibrate your chiller to match your tank's temperature by pressing and hold the Up and Down arrows together. Maximium is +1.5Deg and -1.5Deg
Old 21-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
avex30

good sharing bro
Old 21-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Navanod
Arofanatic

Good job bro! Might be worth a sticky?
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
eviltrain

for those who don't know or don't have soldering iron, can use this wire connecter (with screw).

just expose the wire and put into the connector accordingly to bro gryphon instructions will do.

Good job bro Gryphon
Old 21-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
gryphon
Arofanatic

Thanks for all your help Alan
Old 21-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
eviltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
Thanks for all your help Alan
I never do anything lei. Hee hee.
Old 22-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
gryphon
Arofanatic

Thanks to the bros who up my Rep points. Please indicate your nick in your comments, if not I do not know who to THANK for the Rep points
Old 22-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
rcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
All thanks to the help from the various bros, I have managed to modify my Haliea 150A chiller to use an external temperature probe. Just want to share with other bros who are interested in this DIY. The modification took me less that 20min.

The external temperature probe/sensor was purchased from Sim Lim Tower (NOT Sim Lim Square) B1. It is the shop near the escalator, just ask if they sell Fox temperature controllers.
Bros here have successfully used 2 similar models (same price), FN-200N's replacement temperature probe which has a long metal probe/sensor or a NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor. I have bought the latter, picture as shown below.

First remove the front panel of the Haliea 150A chiller by pulling from the bottom of the panel.

Next use your fingers (both hands will be easier) to reach behind the display panel to locate 2 tabs and press them down and push out the front panel.

The 2 tabs which I am refering to are circled below.

You can see that there is a pair of wires (red and black) which is connected to the internal water tank's temperature probe/sensor. Disconnect the connector (circled below) and attach the external temperature probe/sensor to it (attach to the end that is connected to the display panel). To attach the external temperature probe/sensor to the connector, you can use soldering iron to solder the points together.
Note that for the NTC based plastic temperature probe/sensor, you need to connect the wire with white words to the red wire and the other plain black wire to the black wire.

You can calibrate your chiller to match your tank's temperature by pressing and hold the Up and Down arrows together. Maximium is +1.5Deg and -1.5Deg
Wa, great job, thanks for sharing bro
Old 25-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
bigbird126

Nice sharing. What is the outcome of the modification , improvement on efficiency?

Mind to share further