Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 25-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Manderic
Arofanatic

Default Catching wild guppies in Singapore

Hi all,

I am looking for sites to catch some wild guppies. Last heard, there is a drain near West coast park that might still hold some of the wild remnants of the revered fancy guppies we keep.

While wild guppies/ "longkang" fish catching may sound ridiculous or absurd, I am catching them for some test crosses with the fancy strains that I keep. For those who wish to come along, please feel free to do so.
Manderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Xiao Qiu
Arofanatic

bro , nowadays very difficult to catch colorful male. you may want to try Kampong Eunos drain , can get many big sizes female. Once a while might see some normal colorful male. Most of the wild male does not have color.
Xiao Qiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Kohaku
Dragon

Most wild guppies are gone. My spot at kaki bukit has become an industrial estate

I heard an uncle selling sg wild guppies in his mkt fish stall at amk st 52. Dunno where he catch them. Maybe u can ask him where he catch them.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
Xiao Qiu
Arofanatic

Ulu Pandan the big drain used to has many endlers 2 decade back, not sure now still have or not? can find normal grade koi as well. nowadays NPark cover up drains and make full use of space to make small parks all over SG, hence many wild guppies done.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Manderic
Arofanatic

Yeap precisely. Now that all the drains have been covered up, don't think we will get to see longkang fish anymore. As for that Uncle, thanks for the heads up.

I stay at Eunos area but I am not sure which drain you are referring to. Used to catch the brightly coloured males in the canal at the back of my house as a child but it is gone.

I did saw some small fish in a drain at MacPherson road while I was visiting Green Chapter last week but felt embarrassed to take a closer look as there are some people around.
Manderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Actually a lot of roadside storm drains probably still have many wild guppies. I used to catch them when I was young by climbing down using the small holes on the side of the drain as grip. Should still have a lot of open storm drains along the sides of the main roads with the green railings?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
Xiao Qiu
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderic View Post
Yeap precisely. Now that all the drains have been covered up, don't think we will get to see longkang fish anymore. As for that Uncle, thanks for the heads up.

I stay at Eunos area but I am not sure which drain you are referring to. Used to catch the brightly coloured males in the canal at the back of my house as a child but it is gone.

I did saw some small fish in a drain at MacPherson road while I was visiting Green Chapter last week but felt embarrassed to take a closer look as there are some people around.
Bro , try google search 'kampong Eunos ' small drain between Dengfu Ville and Federation of Art Societies. Drain not very deep , two person with two big nets can catch lots.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
patclay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Most wild guppies are gone. My spot at kaki bukit has become an industrial estate

I heard an uncle selling sg wild guppies in his mkt fish stall at amk st 52. Dunno where he catch them. Maybe u can ask him where he catch them.
Trade secret uncle can share?
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
Trade secret uncle can share?
He shared with me, but you will find the answer very......
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Xiao Qiu
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
He shared with me, but you will find the answer very......
wow, what's the answer ?? can share ?