Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 29-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #41
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrive
Maybe you can try prolonging your water change or feeding more if you want to achieve a PH below 4. But may I ask what is the reason of the low PH? Cos for me I notice that appetied decreases when the PH drops too low. My PH fluctuates between 5 - 5.9, 6.

Cheers!
yup..thats the way I pull the PH all the way down...but still the line of breaking the entire system is too fragile...Beneficial Bacteria is not in my consideration now...but my ammonia and nitrates are all within acceptable zones...

IMO PH has a direct relationship with the coloration development of reds...PH 4 is the limit which should show the best coloration or rather the max the red can go...anyway the water parameters of certain waters that SR lived in is around the region of 4 - 5.5...

Old 29-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #42
prodrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
yup..thats the way I pull the PH all the way down...but still the line of breaking the entire system is too fragile...Beneficial Bacteria is not in my consideration now...but my ammonia and nitrates are all within acceptable zones...

IMO PH has a direct relationship with the coloration development of reds...PH 4 is the limit which should show the best coloration or rather the max the red can go...anyway the water parameters of certain waters that SR lived in is around the region of 4 - 5.5...
I have heard of this before but only as just what you said. Would hope to know and explore more on this especially in an aquarium environment if you know what I mean, care to share in more details bro. Anyway, for me too low PH don't seem to work, gtg for now, will elaborate more later.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #43
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrive
I have heard of this before but only as just what you said. Would hope to know and explore more on this especially in an aquarium environment if you know what I mean, care to share in more details bro. Anyway, for me too low PH don't seem to work, gtg for now, will elaborate more later.
thks for the discussion bro...hope to see more of these...cos I seen the effects of coloration from 5.9 to 5.2 on most of my reds in the comm...though there is a need to add in some Aloe vera to help with the "skin care"

Maybe the shifus can elaborate more on the use of pineapple skins for us newbies

I hate pineapples...stay a distance away from them...touching them gives me the bumps

Old 29-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #44
williamt
Endangered Dragon

as long as the ph goes down gradually, it will not affect the fishes at all. Of course we are not talking on sudden change in ph, people also die lah don't say fishes.

Maintaining low ph is good for mating, average PH good for the fish appetite. Colouration is not just ph problem, I would say ph doesn't affect colouration at all unless it's sudden change.
Old 29-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #45
jwhtan
Barney

I beg to differ .. I feel that pH does affect colouration .. but its not the correct method of doing so .. fishes manifests their colours under stress .. and one way the red manifest its colours is at a low pH .. but this is not the correct way to induce coloration showing on the reds .. and this red coloration is really not permanent .. actually , all coloration on reds is not permanent, they come and go but the deepening and intensifying of reds is permanent although they still go when under different conditions ..
Old 29-09-2004, 06:49 PM   #46
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea
The fading part is the most tricky part of keeping red, most red will go through this process afew times. Colour fade, dont eat, become timid and jumpy, many dont have the time to tacker this problem and most will sell their red at below cost.But once it change hand most will regart because colour lai liow!heeheee.. Water management is crucial at this stage and dont forget patient.

Yes, certain red do develop better colour and will skip this yellow and orange stage. Not many i can say and this type of red dont fade colour easily even if it fade the reddest is still there.
Has it ever occured to u that the fading process could be a hormonal cycle ? and tat includes the fasting as well ?
Old 29-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #47
Edwin Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
I beg to differ .. I feel that pH does affect colouration .. but its not the correct method of doing so .. fishes manifests their colours under stress .. and one way the red manifest its colours is at a low pH .. but this is not the correct way to induce coloration showing on the reds .. and this red coloration is really not permanent .. actually , all coloration on reds is not permanent, they come and go but the deepening and intensifying of reds is permanent although they still go when under different conditions ..
Does temporarily colouration under this condition apply to golden aro or just red?

Old 29-09-2004, 07:14 PM   #48
Vil

i have been using peat for a long time to keep ph down below 7. Trying to maintain at ard 6.5. Besides the ph effect, they also release organic acids and other stuff which i think is beneficial to the aro.

Old 29-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #49
loon23382

hmmm so everything ties down to patiece and water parameters i guess..was oso wondernig how a red actually developes its color...
was actually wondering when do the pink/purple shine go off and bcome darker and then to red...when can we see such symetoms?

Old 29-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #50
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Chan
Does temporarily colouration under this condition apply to golden aro or just red?
gold aros dun lose their colour as much and as quickly as reds do .. the colouration wun go through very huge transformation but they will still adapt to surroundings colour .. the intensity of the gold will be greater in a dark environment tank