Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 22-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #71
decon04

Default New dwarf crayfish species in Petmart

Hi all Craysfanatic; spot some new dwarf crayfish species at Petmart.

wow they beautiful...
Old 22-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #72
CBTG
Dragon

What colour are these new dwarf crayfish
CBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #73
decon04

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTG View Post
What colour are these new dwarf crayfish
Bro, not orange type but something write on the bag like Ch something???
Colour something like green brown or brown.
you can go ask Ben the boss.
i bought the other two female smaller dwarf crays brown type, i think they from Mexico as i ask ben said come in this morning.
Old 22-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #74
decon04

Just reach home check on internet on the species its Cambarellus chapalanus writen on the plastic. confirm from Mexico, webpages: http://tolweb.org/Cambarellus_%28Cam...%29_chapalanus
Old 24-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #75
tachyon

Having some problem w my blue moon cherax in a one foot tank.....i bought a white one soon after and the white male started to harass the original blue one even though well fed. Not sure abt the exact name of the white cherax but the claw is elongish unlike the blue. Any solutions ? I may be forced to give one up...sigh
Old 25-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #76
NigelN

Hi bro, the white one is most probably a P. Clarkii. It's claws and head is 'rough' in texture, while the Blue Moon has smooth surfaces all over. Also, the Clarkii has longer and sharper-looking pincers while the Blue Moon has fatter/more stout claws with shorter tips. The Clarkii looks like it can cut, the Blue Moon looks like it can crush. Well most probably they are fighting for space. Cherax species quite peaceful but Clarkiis are damn aggressive and rarely peaceful.

Keeping them both are possible, but you must give each of them a hiding place (best to have 3 available). Also, do you have plants? I notice that my Clarkiis like to 'hang out' (literally) in plants, climbing to the surface to breathe air at times, while the Blue Moon (and other Cherax species) stay at the bottom and 'shake leg'. BTW I have a mix of 2 Clarkiis, 3 Cherax species in my tank: 2 P. Clarkii red, 2 Blue Moon, 3 Zebra (Cherax Peknyi) and 1 Australian red-claw lobster.

Oh did you check to see if your Blue Moon is a male? My male was a bit aggressive when he went into the tank. Then after a while he was peaceful and allowed another Zebra to climb on top of him. :P
Old 26-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #77
tachyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelN View Post
Hi bro, the white one is most probably a P. Clarkii. It's claws and head is 'rough' in texture, while the Blue Moon has smooth surfaces all over. Also, the Clarkii has longer and sharper-looking pincers while the Blue Moon has fatter/more stout claws with shorter tips. The Clarkii looks like it can cut, the Blue Moon looks like it can crush. Well most probably they are fighting for space. Cherax species quite peaceful but Clarkiis are damn aggressive and rarely peaceful.

Keeping them both are possible, but you must give each of them a hiding place (best to have 3 available). Also, do you have plants? I notice that my Clarkiis like to 'hang out' (literally) in plants, climbing to the surface to breathe air at times, while the Blue Moon (and other Cherax species) stay at the bottom and 'shake leg'. BTW I have a mix of 2 Clarkiis, 3 Cherax species in my tank: 2 P. Clarkii red, 2 Blue Moon, 3 Zebra (Cherax Peknyi) and 1 Australian red-claw lobster.

Oh did you check to see if your Blue Moon is a male? My male was a bit aggressive when he went into the tank. Then after a while he was peaceful and allowed another Zebra to climb on top of him. :P
Thanks for the help...my bluemoon is a feamle...btw...can clarkii n bluemoons inter breed??
Old 26-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #78
NigelN

I not sure, but I don't think they can because they are of different genus.

Oh I recall seeing that the male lobster will 'rape' the female lobster when he wants to mate. He'll grab her with his claws and force her on her back and then have his way with her. At least, that's how I observe the Clarkiis to do it. :P
Old 27-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #79
tachyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelN View Post
I not sure, but I don't think they can because they are of different genus.

Oh I recall seeing that the male lobster will 'rape' the female lobster when he wants to mate. He'll grab her with his claws and force her on her back and then have his way with her. At least, that's how I observe the Clarkiis to do it. :P
abit regret getting the clarkii....its really aggressive.... anyone interested to adopt a white clarkii ?
Old 31-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #80
NigelN

Haha keeping the Blue Moon is a good idea. They look better, in my opinion. Mine passed away on Wednesday night. Sian. Can you PM me a photo and a price for your clarkii? I'll see if my bro is interested.