Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
AndMay

Default Please offer advice on an effective filtration system

Hi all!

I recently started GF keeping and I had found some really useful advice in this forum.

I would like to seek advice on how to start and maintain an efficient filtration system for my tank as I am totally clueless on this!

My current setup is a 2 feet tank with 2 Orandas and 3 Ranchus, all 2 inches, and a small pleco. I currently use an overhead pump with filter and some ceramic rings and another small air pump connected to an airstone. There are no plants or accessories in the tank. I do a 20%-30% WC every 2 days. I add 0.2% aquarium salt to the water. I feed them twice a day.

Thanks to all for your time!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
jenson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMay View Post
Hi all!

I recently started GF keeping and I had found some really useful advice in this forum.

I would like to seek advice on how to start and maintain an efficient filtration system for my tank as I am totally clueless on this!

My current setup is a 2 feet tank with 2 Orandas and 3 Ranchus, all 2 inches, and a small pleco. I currently use an overhead pump with filter and some ceramic rings and another small air pump connected to an airstone. There are no plants or accessories in the tank. I do a 20%-30% WC every 2 days. I add 0.2% aquarium salt to the water. I feed them twice a day.

Thanks to all for your time!
Hi Welcome to Goldfish keeping!

I reckon you might need to upgrade your tank very soon with current bioload? I would recommend to buffer your pH with baking soda or put some coral chips in the filter box of your OHF.

Your water regime seems ok to me though. I used to add salt to my tank water, but I've ceased doing so, and find it unnecessary. 0.2% is about the salinity for introducing new fish, I think when your fishes are stable and your tank fully cycled, can consider stop putting aquarium salt, except for quarantine and treatment.

I think other more experienced bros can chip in to provide their valuable feedbacks and experience sharing too!
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
AndMay

Thanks Jenson.

I assume I can get these coral chips at those normal neighbourhood aquarium shops? If you don't mind, would you please enlighten me on the actual function of baking sodas and coral chips?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Heuer
Dragon

you need to upgrade your tank size very soon once they start to grow. try to get rid of the pleco first.

as the use of baking soda, you need to know what is your current pH in your tank first as baking soda once added, will change your water pH very fast (if added too much). Ideal pH is between 7-8 for goldfish.

don't anyhow add baking soda without knowing current pH.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
AndMay

Thanks Heuer.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Brichardi
Dragon

Simplicity is the best. Clear base, easy to siphon out unwanted foods/poops during yr water changes, which you said every 2 days is good. Since u are using airstone, u could actually add either a sponge or canister filter for the air-outlet.

Eventually u will need to upgrade yr tank like above bros said or else it becomes overcrowded.

BTW I always enjoy watching this lady's (Tithra) You-tubes on keeping goldfishes....hope you will learn something from these videos, enjoy! >>

http://www.youtube.com/user/tithra33?feature=watch
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
reaperscreepers
Arofanatic

Very happy to see more hobbyist keeping gf~

Im wont say im an expert but i can give u some tips.

1. Most importantly is to do water change 50% or more every 2-3 days. GF love fresh water.

2. Put in coral chips to maintain ph.

3. Try to minimise the water current made by the output of the filter, GF dont like water current.

I am keeping TVR and am currently doing 100% WC every 3 days..

Feeding Regime is 5 times pellets 1 time FBW.

GF keeping needs to be hardworking.. U hardworking = fish will grow healthy and pretty.
reaperscreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
AndMay

THanks Brichardi and reaperscreepers. I will bear that in mind and try to do higher % WC more often. I will keep a lookout for other Bros selling bigger fishtanks in the marketplace too. Btw, what is the ideal tank size for my 5 GFs?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
frankloh
Arofanatic

All GF benefit from 100% water change, not just TVR.
100% is the best way to ensure all pollutants are remove. Partial change is just diluting it, not as effective as 100% WC.
frankloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
mikeymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankloh View Post
All GF benefit from 100% water change, not just TVR.
100% is the best way to ensure all pollutants are remove. Partial change is just diluting it, not as effective as 100% WC.
sorry for asking this noob question wont 100% wc causes shock to the fish?

i'm currently holding a 2ft tank with 8 ranchus 1 oranda, 1 -2 inch size.
ohf with 3 trays,top tray sponge, bottom 2 trays CR. plus sponge filter. there's a small plant too. added coral chips directly to the tank and my gfs are doing fine.

my WC routine is 50%/ 3 days.

this set up works fine for me. just my 2 cents worth