Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
midniteguy
Arofanatic

Default help with hatching bbs!

i have read the article on hatching bbs in the sticky but i still fail at hatching the bbs.

i use a 1.5L bottle to hatch the bbs, i use around 2-5 teaspoon ( i tried 6 batches in all ) and left it to bubble for more than 24hours at room temp, but still unable to hatch anything at all, only once i manage to hatch a super small amount. what could be the problem?

i am using 25cent salt bought from shop and save house brand. would the salt be the problem?
for the bbs eggs, i am currently using the one bought from c328 for 4 purple note. the one has no brand and is just labelled as brine shrimp eggs.

hope you guys would be able to help me out.
many thanks in advance.
midniteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
KeeHuat
Dragon

How much hatched or almost none at all
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
KeeHuat
Dragon

I posted this previously in AF

BBS Hatching

All bbs eggs will hatch. It depends on various factors

1) There are various hatchrates indicated by different suppliers. Each brand will state various hatchrates available, i.e. 70%, 80%, 90%, etc. The higher the hatchrate the more expensive it costs. Buy good hatchrate eggs.
2) The PH of the water plays a part, e.g. 7.5 – 8.5.
3) Salinity is also a factor. The salinity cannot be too high nor too low as most eggs might not hatch outside the recommended range. Recommended range is 10-40 parts per thousand (ppt) which is equal to a specific gravity of 1.008 - 1.03. Best salinity is 15 ppt or specific gravity of 1.011.
4) The amount of light also plays a part in the hatchrate.
5) The temperature of the water affects the hatchrate, the higher the temperature the faster the eggs will hatch.
6) Aeration also affects the hatchrate. The more aeration you have, the shorter will be the time for the eggs to hatch. If your aeration is too low, you will get very little eggs hatching.
7) Storage temperature of the bbs will affect the eggs, e.g. recommended temperature below 4 deg C. The bbs should be kept in a dry place. So keep them in the fridge but make sure the container is tight so that moisture doesn’t get in.

Hatching the bbs will depends on the factors above and therefore it can vary from 18 to 48 hours. If you play around you will discover the optimum hatchrate for yourself.

However, the hatchrate for different brands will vary slightly.

The key steps I take are as follows:

1. Buy good hatchrate eggs
2. Ensure the salinity is within the range.
3. Have sufficient aeration

If you want the eggs to hatch earlier ensure the temperature of the water is high.

Some possible issues that you might have are:
- Eggs could have taken too long to arrive. Previously, I bought them from another hobbyist and they came all the way from US by sea so the eggs were not stored at a cool temperature during shipment. Now I get the eggs here in the shortest possible time by air and the tins go into the fridge straight away. I suggest you keep the eggs in the fridge.
- Check the salinity of the water after you added the salt. You can get a cheap hygrometer from any lfs. Cost is about $6/-, the glass type which floats in water.
- Make sure the aeration is enough
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
midniteguy
Arofanatic

Thanks for the write up bro (:

I would go get a hydrometer I guess. I kept the bbs in my drawer since I got it, I guess that would be the reason.

Does the type of salt plays a part in hatching?

Shall add baking soda in the water too as my tap ph is in the lower 6 region.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteguy View Post
Thanks for the write up bro (:

I would go get a hydrometer I guess. I kept the bbs in my drawer since I got it, I guess that would be the reason.

Does the type of salt plays a part in hatching?

Shall add baking soda in the water too as my tap ph is in the lower 6 region.
The ones highlighted in RED based on my experiments are most important. If the salinity is either too low or too high, the eggs will not hatch properly. If your aeration is too low, low hatchrate will occur. If you open your bbs package and don't keep it at the low temperature, it will affect your hatchrate but no matter some eggs will hatch even if you keep the eggs in your drawer if the salinity and aeration are ok. I could be wrong but the water from the tap in Singapore should not have lower 6 PH. Mine is above 8 PH, average 8.2. Suggest you check again.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

I will suggest you to throw away the eggs you have and buy some confirmed good hatch rate BSE. if not you are just wasting your salt and water and patience... the other time got a tin from taiwan.. zero hatch rate... so kek sim....

Last edited by fireblade; 10-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
omgAL
Arofanatic

im currently having 5 different bbs hatcherys, all are giving me awesome hatch rates. your salinity just need to be good, i put 1 spoon of salt per 500ml of water, wait about 24-32 hrs your water will turn beige, thats when ur bbs are already hatched.
omgAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
midniteguy
Arofanatic

i manage to hatch around 20% of the eggs after 72hours of bubbling, i guess i have to change bbs eggs. haha (: thanks all for your help.

i have a new question, i am currently using the double blue bbs net from taiwan, is it normal that some of the eggs manage to slip thru to the 2nd layer?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
nefish
Dragon

i use a s/s sieve from seng siong n another plastic 1 from lfs. very fine netting so tat there is no escape.chirp chirp
hydrometer i have 2 types,floating thermometer type and gauge.
yes, change your bbs eggs...i had same problem too.still have 2 pkt in fridge wif success hatching.But no guppy Lol. Haha.... get bigger package usually cheaper than those small bottles.mine in aluminium zip lock of 100g.can oso can try tins of 1 pound....424g?
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
KeeHuat
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteguy View Post
i manage to hatch around 20% of the eggs after 72hours of bubbling, i guess i have to change bbs eggs. haha (: thanks all for your help.

i have a new question, i am currently using the double blue bbs net from taiwan, is it normal that some of the eggs manage to slip thru to the 2nd layer?
72 hours is really too long. Depending on various factors that I outlined, it can hatch as early as 18 hours up to 40 hours. If they hatch earlier generally they will die earlier. For mine, if it's 72 hours, most of them would have died already because they hatched very much earlier.