Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
yeobt
Arofanatic

Default Am new to guppy

Hi guys, restart my new venture after my teenage son got influence by his classmate. Now, my whole family is into guppy craze after we juz upgraded our 1 foot tank to a 2 feet.

Well, after we got a few $10 breed from PR fish farm yesterday, we realized that we should spend abit more for quality breed then those 30 cents a piece since my family is enjoying so much.

So, can someone recommend good quality guppy shops for me to explore?

TIA
yeobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
airplant

Guppy shop.. Can try to visit Guppy Galaxy which is near Qian Hu Fish Farm, I think. Mr David has a wide variety of fancy guppies. The last time I heard, he has newer strains now. Can google for his contact and make an appointment.

Went to Guppy Centre recently but found it closed down.

There are also a few dedicated home breeders you can contact. The standard of fancy guppies has been going higher and higher every time I check.

Is there a particular strain which interests you?

The world of guppies is really addictive, but yet enjoyable. Hope you are able to find good grade guppies and have a good head start. I started with guppies from local fish shops, but my appetite for better grades became bigger and bigger with every passing year.

Certain guppies are harder to maintain. You may want to speak to the seller and enquire about care and diet.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplant View Post

Is there a particular strain which interests you?

Good luck!
hi, thanks for your info. very helpful.

i've got quite a number of those ordinary breeds from the fish farm i visited lately. i think i saw some all white strain somewhere on the internet and i would like to have them to have a combo mix in my tank.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
yeobt
Arofanatic

guys, just noticed that i have a female guppy that has a slightly bigger than usual stomach, i wonder if she is pregnant le?

if is not, is this normal?
if is pregnant, how many weeks it expected to deliver?

she is inside a comm tank, how many weeks would she get pregnant again after her delivery?

TIA
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
KeeHuat
Dragon

Welcome to the guppy world. If you have 1 community tank you should be have some plants or hiding places for the fry if you leave the females that are pregnant with the other adults. Will you separate the females to another tank/container just before they drop.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeHuat View Post
Welcome to the guppy world. If you have 1 community tank you should be have some plants or hiding places for the fry if you leave the females that are pregnant with the other adults. Will you separate the females to another tank/container just before they drop.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

You are right, some bros have pointed out by PM to me that I should not mix the boys n gals together. Haha...ya, I will separate them with immediate effect to avoid rojak breeds.

Yes, I got some ad hoc plants for the gals to hide from the cheeky ones.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
airplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
hi, thanks for your info. very helpful.

i've got quite a number of those ordinary breeds from the fish farm i visited lately. i think i saw some all white strain somewhere on the internet and i would like to have them to have a combo mix in my tank.
You're certainly welcome! Before getting fish online, you may want to check if there are local breeders who may have the fish you want.

All white... Platinum White? Mixing in community tank? This will result in crosses, and the offsprings may not look as nice as their pure-bred parents. Unless you mix only the males, and do selective breeding of similar strains using another tank.. then when fries are older, separate the genders If not it will be quite wasteful on the money spent on the pure-bred fancy guppies. Maybe keep to a certain strain and aim to get a tankful of them.

But then again, a few tanks will be needed for such a project.

I have several strains actually, but I focused more time and tanks on my Albino Moscow Blue. I see this strain of mine improve, but my other strains.. Haiz, so embarrassed and sorry to them.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
You're certainly welcome! Before getting fish online, you may want to check if there are local breeders who may have the fish you want.

All white... Platinum White? Mixing in community tank? This will result in crosses, and the offsprings may not look as nice as their pure-bred parents. Unless you mix only the males, and do selective breeding of similar strains using another tank.. then when fries are older, separate the genders If not it will be quite wasteful on the money spent on the pure-bred fancy guppies. Maybe keep to a certain strain and aim to get a tankful of them.

But then again, a few tanks will be needed for such a project.

I have several strains actually, but I focused more time and tanks on my Albino Moscow Blue. I see this strain of mine improve, but my other strains.. Haiz, so embarrassed and sorry to them.
Yalor, going to buy few more tanks to make KK hospital Liao.
What to feed the babies guppy?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
airplant

For few day old fries, you can feed BBS (baby brine shrimps) or powdered baby fish food (Hikari First Bites). A bro told me before that feeding BBS since fry stage will help them grow better. Sadly I'm not able to hatch. For myself, I feed microworms. When they are slightly bigger, I feed them frozen daphnia, mini guppy pellets, grindal worms and microworms. Guppies are hungry all the time, but it's best to keep feeding to 2-3 times, with each feeding amount controlled.

One will be tempted to overfeed. Guppies are prone to sicknesses like dropsy, etc. Try to feed just right..

If feeding tubi, do remember to wash the worms thoroughly. And get tubi from trusted source.

If getting more tanks, can get a set. Will look really cool. Can google for guppy setups; many bros and sis have really stylish guppy rooms! Looks like your poison is getting deeper!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
If getting more tanks, can get a set. Will look really cool. Can google for guppy setups; many bros and sis have really stylish guppy rooms! Looks like your poison is getting deeper!
aiyo, went to c328 to scoup 3 more guppies home this afternoon before i went to OTF at PR farm to get another pump and tank for my pregnant pair.

been reading some aro stuffs now, very tempting with the RED....