Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 19-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #171
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

maybe should show some pictures of the algea attacked tank and then the progress and then finally no algea... it will be a memoriable one.. like my tank.. :P
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #172
aquariumfan

i was just curious. do u wash ur ADA soil b4 putting it in or do u not wash or rinse it?
Old 23-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #173
chunchek

I think it is the lighting which create the good growth of algea - 4 PL lights and 10 hrs on, Ouch !

You may try to reduce to 8 hr and break into day time 4 hr (7 ~ 11) and night time 4hr (5~9) so that you could enjoy viewing when you are at home. As for the 4 PL, You could arrange like 2 PL lights on 8hr. The other 2 PL lights on 4 hr like (8~10) and (6~8).

chunchek
Old 23-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #174
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
maybe should show some pictures of the algea attacked tank and then the progress and then finally no algea... it will be a memoriable one.. like my tank.. :P
Yeah.. that is a picture I will gladly upload, but for now, the battle with algae continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumfan View Post
i was just curious. do u wash ur ADA soil b4 putting it in or do u not wash or rinse it?
Never ever wash ADA Aquasoil, just use it as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunchek View Post
I think it is the lighting which create the good growth of algea - 4 PL lights and 10 hrs on, Ouch !

You may try to reduce to 8 hr and break into day time 4 hr (7 ~ 11) and night time 4hr (5~9) so that you could enjoy viewing when you are at home. As for the 4 PL, You could arrange like 2 PL lights on 8hr. The other 2 PL lights on 4 hr like (8~10) and (6~8).

chunchek
I did drop my photo period to 9 hours for the past week and glosso started to grow legs again. So its back to a 10 hour photo period.

Yes, high lighting will always be a factor for algae growth. But the plan is not to cut your photo period (unless you are having your lights on for more than 10 hours) but to ensure that plants grow healthily and have everything they need for growth.

I visited ADA Malaysia last weekend and they advised me to start using RO water and see if there is any difference. I did my first RO water change today, will update you guys if the algae goes down.
Old 23-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #175
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

went to the Denerle talk the other night, he mentioned the lighting period as follows.

5hr on , 4 hr off, 5 hr on.
yet to try it though
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #176
ruthlesskiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I visited ADA Malaysia last weekend and they advised me to start using RO water and see if there is any difference. I did my first RO water change today, will update you guys if the algae goes down.
why ro water? where did u get ur ro unit?
Old 23-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #177
Sinubux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlesskiller View Post
You need to buy those special filter and attach it to your water tap or alternatively get those filter gadget type to do the filtration for you. I understand for every 1 litre of water, 50% will be RO, the rest will be "waste" water.
Old 23-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #178
ruthlesskiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinubux View Post
You need to buy those special filter and attach it to your water tap or alternatively get those filter gadget type to do the filtration for you. I understand for every 1 litre of water, 50% will be RO, the rest will be "waste" water.
ic... so it deionizes the water?
Old 24-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #179
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
went to the Denerle talk the other night, he mentioned the lighting period as follows.

5hr on , 4 hr off, 5 hr on.
yet to try it though
Yeah, quite a few people has suggested using this kind of photo period but so far I have not seen much of a difference yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinubux View Post
Yes, RO machines are extremely wasteful when it is purifying water. I already have a unit in my house, just never thought of using it until yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlesskiller View Post
RO water is pure water without any nutrients or chemicals, this will allow me to control what nutrients are in my tank water by adding ferts. This will hopefully prevent algae as there is a lack of "extra" nutrients from the water for them to grow.
Old 24-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #180
ruthlesskiller

just wondering whats your fert regime?