Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 23-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangmulong4488 View Post
Singapore is gd... Only weather hot nia
I rather hot, even hottest weather at least use AC, showers and iced drinks can reach comfort levels.

The coldest winter, no matter how good the heater, mm and alcohol I can still feel chill in bones.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
globalcookie
Dragon

U mean e coldest weather no matter how hard u sk, still chill you the last fabric of ur KKJ?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

I haven't finish reading what this guy wrote but half of the 1st post. Generally I agree with him.

But I don't know how did the impression of ppl hating singapore came about. Did he over exaggerate people's constant complaints as hates?

I can't exactly.find anyone who hates this country. But I can say I too have little complaints about the system that seems to always.reminds me that we are not equals nor can I agree with how certain things are conducted.

But that doesn't amount to hate. I am proud of being Singaporean and if I'm rich, migration is the past thing I'll do to screw my life. But being average, the country is still making me comfortable. I may not quite like the pace and limitation of space and opportunities to expamd but there's no perfect place that everything is just right. No. We are aout just right in every possible way.

Last edited by globalcookie; 23-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 23-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Kohaku
Dragon

Read through the article, can't agree more on his views, but this got to show 1 thing, my opinion only. Our country is a place where better off foreigners would choose to settle as, from where they are from, it is much cheaper and peaceful here. Doesn't it defeat on keeping daily expenditures down.

Anyway although cost of living is a difficult problem to solve, it doesn't mean it can't be solved. It depends on how resolved the current government is to solve them. What are they doing to reduce cost? Increase value of sgd high? Reduce other costs? Increase food production while reducing lease period for farm use? Are they thinking long term? Increase import at expense of rising cost of food.

If u had not seen If u cross customs every weekend, it shows how many Singaporeans, like these foreigners, are going overseas to spend. It makes some Malaysian to complains things are getting more costly also.

To end, hope to see something being done openly on cost of living as the few budgets dun really solve them, but indirectly rise cost.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
hkh
Arofanatic

Every city will be good to live so long as one can afford the costs of living.......else for those who always worry about his next meal......how to be happy ??
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
Genki89

Actually, from the perspective view of a poor and rich singaporean, you will enjoy the benefits from the government. The middle class people are the one who suffer the most. Majority of the singaporean falls in this category (including me).

Fact is, there are not many countries in the world that allows you to roam freely (handphone, wallet, bags carried on hand or leaving it on the dinning table), or allows u to alone in the middle of the night safely.

If you are singaporean, falls in the mid class, you will find that the govt is not doing their part to help help singaporean. That being said, from the helicopter view, govt are doing their part, slowly but gradually, it is the people from the higher class stopping people from the lower class to move up.

One the case which support that is the recent news about employment. MOM allows outsourcing of talent outside of singapore only if the company have exhausted the resources from singapore. But the hr (dont wanna mention names or race) blamed the govt for implementing such rules and such act should be removed.

As taxi drivers, the reducing in tax for diesel cars is good. But increase the diesel petrol by $0.10 per litre, the govt earned more than the relieve. Most of the time it is due to such relieves that singaporean are not happy.

About hdb, increase in cost sharing to improve reliability of the lift is understandable. What about profit sharing? If profit increase, shouldn't govt reduce the cost sharing counter part?

Most countries, the poor get poorer, the rich get richer. No matter where u go, it is happening in the world. No news reported does not mean no news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Genki89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
Aces
Arofanatic

I love singapore, because i am born here.. no matter which country i go i still think home is the best
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

The psychology of grass is greener is called geographical solution.

It's temporary, after six nine months, migrants take off their rose tinted glasses.

Only migrate with a purpose (pull factors) rather than dissatisfaction with current domicile (push factors).

Old 24-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Anyway although cost of living is a difficult problem to solve, it doesn't mean it can't be solved. It depends on how resolved the current government is to solve them. What are they doing to reduce cost? Increase value of sgd high? Reduce other costs? Increase food production while reducing lease period for farm use? Are they thinking long term? Increase import at expense of rising cost of food.
I think it's a hard problem to solve.

We are an import based country. Cost of goods are determined by the exporting countries and so far we have importers who are actively searching for lower cost imports.

We can't be toying with SGD value much. Can only adjust so much.

To increase food production, it's not an easy task either but yes, it can be done. We have near vacant land in some various parts of SG that can be on short term lease for farming. But investment cost in farming is high, thus 10yrs lease won't work. Not that easy I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
Every city will be good to live so long as one can afford the costs of living.......else for those who always worry about his next meal......how to be happy ??
Not exactly. If you have tonnes of money, you worry about safety especially in a lot of countries in our region. I dare say, you can carry a stack of money in your hand and walked the streets in SG and at most you get robbed (snatched) but elsewhere, probably kidnapped or dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genki89 View Post
Actually, from the perspective view of a poor and rich singaporean, you will enjoy the benefits from the government. The middle class people are the one who suffer the most. Majority of the singaporean falls in this category (including me).
If you are singaporean, falls in the mid class, you will find that the govt is not doing their part to help help singaporean. That being said, from the helicopter view, govt are doing their part, slowly but gradually, it is the people from the higher class stopping people from the lower class to move up.
I disagree tho.

I won't use class but income group.

Lowest income group are those who suffered the most and silently. Middle income are the noisy group (yes me included). The middle income group can afford a lifestyle and all we need to do is adjust our lifestyle a little to mitigate the increasing cost of living. The lowest income group, there is no room to adjust.

The gov, they had done a darn lot for lower and middle income. I have my grouse about gov but objectively speaking, I see they had done very very well in taking care of Singaporeans that we are taking things for granted and thinking they did nothing much for us.

Singapore is possibly the most perfect country to live in. Safety, opportunities, infrastructure, education, healthcare, you name it. We surpass even the most developed and democratic countries in the world.

Rather than ask, what can the government and country do for me, why not asked, "What have I done for my country"?

The higher income stopping lower income? Why do they even give a care about stopping? Why not blame ourselves for being complacent, lazy and lack guts/vision? Ask any rich man if he rather you be poor or he rather you become richer? I doubt anyone will want to see others being poor. But the 'poor' will think that way of themselves.

Last edited by globalcookie; 24-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 24-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

It is called the victim mentality.

Looosers.