Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 11-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #21
BettaCJunior
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
Hi bro , when u off your pump does the water flow back into your sump through suction from your PVC pipe? if it does then its dangerous coz if u have a power trip then your sump will over flow and your main tank may be drained of most of its water. would suggest to shorten the length of the pipe into the tank if it does suck the water back into the sump... just my thoughts
It should not be a problem, the siphon will break once the water level falls below the first hole, maybe second hole the max, due to the air going into the pipe and breaking the siphon. Would suggest to drill new holes closer to the water level. Current highest hole seems a bit deep imo
BettaCJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
Hi bro , when u off your pump does the water flow back into your sump through suction from your PVC pipe? if it does then its dangerous coz if u have a power trip then your sump will over flow and your main tank may be drained of most of its water. would suggest to shorten the length of the pipe into the tank if it does suck the water back into the sump... just my thoughts
U see there's a additional hole at the back?

that is to serve prevent tat frm happening.

Shortening the length is out of the question. The purpose is to go deep and move the water in the tank in a more balanced manner.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCJunior View Post
It should not be a problem, the siphon will break once the water level falls below the first hole, maybe second hole the max, due to the air going into the pipe and breaking the siphon. Would suggest to drill new holes closer to the water level. Current highest hole seems a bit deep imo
The highest hole at the back is just slightly below my usual water level.
The moment water level falls below, it will start making sound (and irritating me)

I'm currently in the midst of finding a suitable container to throw CC or media into and poking holes.. and stick the whole pipe in so it touches the base, esp since the new pump (oh yeah!) should have a higher Flowrate.
Need to cut the holes so it blows out the junk frm blind spots at base.
Thanks Archetern for tat idea!!!

I'm already #$%^&* tat I shd have the pipe touch the base last time. Currently the assholes in the tank like to knock the pipe out. The gourami and gar la.. all they need to do is play catching with the oscars tat are bigger den my hand size

Other den tat, it works beautifully to keep a constant current in the tank.

W/o the need for an additional power sucker hanging ard.
And - it minimize the wastage of water as less splashing. The water going dwn the overflow helps wif exchange of air, I got a air pump at the sump area.

All in all....

I'm super excited abt the new pump tat's now at my laobu's plc.
Old 13-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #24
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Talking Sex show peeping booth.

Improvised an observation window flap on my orinoco breeding tank.

I covered all around the tank wrapped with tank background.

Cut a flap and can now peep in rather than get on chair to peer in from the top to view.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile

Last edited by Ong88; 13-12-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #25
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
Improvised an observation window flap on my orinoco breeding tank.
Ppl Peeping Tom. U peeping Ong~!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #26
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Talking

Past weekend made a DIY protein skimmer.

Using 2 empty 100 plus plastic bottles, green tubing and water outlet that had venturi air line of existing ohf powerhead that also feeds the tank ohf.

Sunday set up.

Lots of nay sayers.
But hopeful since tank has grouper that feeds non stop and salinity of 1.03 to 1.04.
High TDS

If does not skim my fallback is to add pond clarifier to make water easier to froth.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

No froth when i came back for lunch.

But tonite, wahlah.
I see yellow water collected.

Beautiful bubbling.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #27
globalcookie
Dragon

Last time I had a setup, I did a semi auto water change system with inlet/outlet pipes, valves to control water change and toilet water tank float system. The inlet goes thru 3 stage filter (2nd & 3rd being active carbon. Was supposedly 2 stage filter and 2 stage RO, but converted to 3 stage without the RO). Reservoir at the top of 1 rack, top up system link from reservoir served with a water pump (into overhead filter and outlet pipe using a T joint piping system

I miss this setup... tore it down and sold off abruptly middle of last year.

Last edited by globalcookie; 05-01-2016 at 12:33 PM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #28
satan_gal
Dragon

Over the past mths.. i got my paws on a even more powerful pump (and saves more electricity! how awesome is that!?)
Now looking at getting a new valve after a T Joint to regulate flow into a DIY rainbar and reduce the force of water gushin out of the PVC pipe.. the fishes already BTH the current pump flowrate/force liao...

Anyone used congregated plastic board in tank before? I am considering using 1 to "repair" the sump exit coz some teeth have broken off and I find the space too big, feeders can escape easily.
Old 22-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #29
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
Past weekend made a DIY protein skimmer.

Using 2 empty 100 plus plastic bottles, green tubing and water outlet that had venturi air line of existing ohf powerhead that also feeds the tank ohf.

Sunday set up.

Lots of nay sayers.
But hopeful since tank has grouper that feeds non stop and salinity of 1.03 to 1.04.
High TDS

If does not skim my fallback is to add pond clarifier to make water easier to froth.

YouTube Video

No froth when i came back for lunch.

But tonite, wahlah.
I see yellow water collected.

Beautiful bubbling.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video
This improvised skimmer worked but the skimmed waste dumped back into tank when the pump failed.

Major FAIL and the fish died.

Old 22-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #30
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Default Overhead sump filter box

Using normal black box dolphin overhead filter system I convert to modded overhead sump tank with media and filter material submerged.
Water level in filter black box is increased by having pvc piping at water return holes.

Media is a mixture of biohome, JBL white media balls, fragments of momotaro biohouse.
The biomedia rest on top of a thin layer of river sand on the black box bottom.
Filter wool used to polish water at return end of box.
It is modified to be an overhead sump filter box by increasing water level up with cylinder pipe.

All my black ohf box filters are modded to be overhead sumps.
One eheim pump feeds the filter box for this six footer tank.
Smaller tanks use stock factory dolphin pumps.