Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 30-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Dirtbiker

Default Need advices while setting up my new 2.5ft marine tank

Currently under water conditioning...
can i change water to reduce the po4 level during water conditing?

Water Chemistry
ph 8.4
kh 7
po4 2mg/l
no2 0.02mg/l
no3 <1mg/l
tempreture 28 degree C
Old 30-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
sherman

Not need to change water.Just add rowaphos or any other phos remover media in your filtration system
Old 30-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Dirtbiker

noted...
Thanks...

Water Chemistry
ph 8.4
kh 7
po4 2mg/l
no2 0.02mg/l
no3 <1mg/l
tempreture 27.9 degree C
salinity 1.024

Tank condition and equitment used:
*2.5ft tank with side sump compartment (used as biohome)
*seawater capacity (90cmX35cmX45cm) 142litres
*8cm deep sand bed (grade 1)
*12kg live rocks
*4 x T4 lightings
*DIY cooling fan
*WeiPro skimmer 2012
*Hydor prime 30 canister filter (900l/h)
*Skimz phosreactor 200

So do i need to wait untill my no3 raises then can consider my tank water condition done???
i have added a strawberry slug into my tank during water conditioning... is it ok???
this slug is so beautiful and seldom see in LFS... just can't resist [IMG][/IMG]
Old 30-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
cci[RR]us

That's a nudibranch. Yes it is nice but do you know enough about it to keep it in your tank?
Quote:
They are carnivorous. Some feed on sponges, others on hydroids, others on bryozoans, and some are cannibals, eating members of their own species. There is also a group that feeds on tunicates and barnacles.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudibranch
Old 30-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
KaLiB

Quote:
So do i need to wait untill my no3 raises then can consider my tank water condition done???
It is done only when nitrite and ammonia is 0. Process in general would take 3-5weeks, usually 4weeks.

Quote:
i have added a strawberry slug into my tank during water conditioning... is it ok???
Definitely not ok, in fact, apart from liverock or sand, it is not ok to add any livestock to the marine tank. No matter what, you have to wait.

Quote:
this slug is so beautiful and seldom see in LFS... just can't resist
No doubt beautiful, but like what bro cci[rr]us has said, do you know enough?

Nudibranches are no doubt extremely pretty creatures, but they have very very specialized diets. Some so specialized, we may not be able to provide for them in a typical home aquarium. Example: Some feed exclusively on corals. IMO, better to not waste money on them.

Its very common mistake for us to buy on impulse, no matter how beautiful a livestock maybe, we must always bear in mind that the marine environment is very diverse. There are some livestock that should not even be on sale(sad, but true) in the 1st place as they have special requirements we can't provide for. Nudibranches are probably the most common example as they can be seen at most marine LFS.

We should always buy only after we know what creature it is and if we are able to provide for it. Sometimes, its better to wait for the next shipment than to rush in only to find you can't care for the livestock, let it die for nothing and waste your own money.

I hope that you will learn from this lesson and not commit such mistakes again in future. These mistakes waste money and kills livestocks for nothing.
Old 30-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Its very common mistake for us to buy on impulse, no matter how beautiful a livestock maybe, we must always bear in mind that the marine environment is very diverse. There are some livestock that should not even be on sale(sad, but true) in the 1st place as they have special requirements we can't provide for. Nudibranches are probably the most common example as they can be seen at most marine LFS.

We should always buy only after we know what creature it is and if we are able to provide for it. Sometimes, its better to wait for the next shipment than to rush in only to find you can't care for the livestock, let it die for nothing and waste your own money.

I hope that you will learn from this lesson and not commit such mistakes again in future. These mistakes waste money and kills livestocks for nothing.
Well said bro, agree with u. Impulse buying sometimes waste our money and most importantly harms precious lifes
Old 31-07-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
Dirtbiker

ok...
i will not add anything from now then and will try to keep it alive...
Thanks for the warning....
i will keep in mind...
Old 31-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
It is done only when nitrite and ammonia is 0. Process in general would take 3-5weeks, usually 4weeks.
I have started water conditioning about 3 weeks ago and have been adding those bacteria booster...
recommended by those LFS...
i dun have an ammonia test kit (will get 1 soon), currently using those 'place in the tank' type and showing good.
Old 31-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
alex_82_6768
Arofanatic

Default Lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
I have started water conditioning about 3 weeks ago and have been adding those bacteria booster...
recommended by those LFS...
i dun have an ammonia test kit (will get 1 soon), currently using those 'place in the tank' type and showing good.
i tink ur LRs not enough.... 12kg not enough for filtration...
alex_82_6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_82_6768
i tink ur LRs not enough.... 12kg not enough for filtration...
just bought another 5kg more this afternoon...
now total about 17kg of live rocks in my tank, almost 1/4 of my tank filled with LRs...