Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
Dirtbiker

Question

Think i bought the wrong test kit NH4, ...
what's NH3 and NH4 test kit difference?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
KaLiB

Quote:
I have started water conditioning about 3 weeks ago and have been adding those bacteria booster...
Actually, those bacteria boosters are not very useful as the cycling process would already encourage the beneficial bacteria these boosters contain to grow. Nothing wrong to add them, just that i find there isn't a need to spend money on them.

Quote:
what's NH3 and NH4 test kit difference?
NH3 is Ammonia whereas NH4 is Ammonium. If i'm not wrong, Ammonium is the less toxic form of Ammonia. From what i recall(if i'm wrong, do correct me), Ammonium forms when the tank pH is higher(which is the case in SW setups), therefore in FW setups which have a lower pH the ammonia is less toxic.

No need to rush to go out and buy the NH3 testkit, you can just use the NH4 testkit. An alternative would be to keep an eye on nitrite levels, if nitrite doesn't climb, its safe to say that ammonia is 0.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Dirtbiker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Actually, those bacteria boosters are not very useful as the cycling process would already encourage the beneficial bacteria these boosters contain to grow. Nothing wrong to add them, just that i find there isn't a need to spend money on them.

NH3 is Ammonia whereas NH4 is Ammonium. If i'm not wrong, Ammonium is the less toxic form of Ammonia. From what i recall(if i'm wrong, do correct me), Ammonium forms when the tank pH is higher(which is the case in SW setups), therefore in FW setups which have a lower pH the ammonia is less toxic.

No need to rush to go out and buy the NH3 testkit, you can just use the NH4 testkit. An alternative would be to keep an eye on nitrite levels, if nitrite doesn't climb, its safe to say that ammonia is 0.
oic..
just tested my seawater...

ph 8.4
kh 7
po4 1mg/l
no2 0.02mg/l
no3 <1mg/l
nh4 0.2mg/l
sanility 1.022SG
tempreture 26.9 degree C

Do u think my tank is ready?
or give it more time to conditioning...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
KaLiB

You need to wait for quite awhile more. Expect the ammonia and nitrite to rise a little as you just added in 5kg of liverocks, die-offs from them may cause ammonia and nitrite to spike a little.

A tank is only ready when ammonia and nitrite is 0. For marine, rushing would only result in failure. Better to wait and increase your chances of success.

Be a bit more patient and wait awhile more(may take another 1wk-2wk). You can use the time to do research on the livestock you are interested to keep. Remember to do a water parameter test to ensure ammonia and nitrite is 0 before stocking up. If your not sure, feel free to post here to clarify your doubt.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
You need to wait for quite awhile more. Expect the ammonia and nitrite to rise a little as you just added in 5kg of liverocks, die-offs from them may cause ammonia and nitrite to spike a little.

A tank is only ready when ammonia and nitrite is 0. For marine, rushing would only result in failure. Better to wait and increase your chances of success.

Be a bit more patient and wait awhile more(may take another 1wk-2wk). You can use the time to do research on the livestock you are interested to keep. Remember to do a water parameter test to ensure ammonia and nitrite is 0 before stocking up. If your not sure, feel free to post here to clarify your doubt.
ok...
Thanks for your patients and help....
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
Dirtbiker

redcross

Oh no.....!!!
My nudibranch has just layed thosands of eggs!!!
What am i suppose to do?!?
Need some experts advice asap.....
Old 10-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Dirtbiker

Think my tank is ready... about more than a month cycling...
Just tested my tank water...

ph 8.4
kh 8.75
po4 0mg/l
no2 0.02mg/l
no3 <1mg/l
nh4 0mg/l
sanility 1.024SG
tempreture 27.5 degree C

Just curious that my PO4 is zero but why there are still brown algae on my tank and sand bed???
Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #18
stash

how is the tank now? can post pictures
stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #19
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash
how is the tank now? can post pictures
sorry i dun have a camera now...
nothing much...
juz added some fishes...
Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Just curious that my PO4 is zero but why there are still brown algae on my tank and sand bed???
PO4 isn't exactly 0. There maybe small amounts present that we can't measure with the typical aquarium testkit. Besides PO4, silicates and nitrates also fuel algae growth so they can also contribute to the algae problem.