Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 14-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
KaLiB

You can install and run the skimmer around the same time you start introducing your livestock.
Old 14-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
sgslic
Arofanatic

Love ur thread bro! Been meaning to do up a IQ5 also..
sgslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Aces
Arofanatic

personal experience with IQ5.. the water parameter fluctuated alot.. temperature is quite hard to maintain in office since after office hour unsure of the temperature and the back compartment of IQ5 drained out quite fast. I also suggested not to keep so much stocks in the IQ5.. the most 2 damsel or clownfish.. and maybe just a cleaner shrimp. It's definately cool to keep marine fish.. I enjoy the most and too bad mine die off due to water change too much due to overfeeding.. Maybe it's my wrong not to intro any critters the food all stucked in the gravel.. zzz
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
illumnae
Dragon

Hi Aces, your iQ5 was the inspiration that made me seriously consider converting my office tank to marine! It took quite awhile, but I finally did it

I'm not using an iQ5 anymore, but upgraded to the Ocean Free 2 nano tank... it's about double the volume of the iQ5 (24 litres) and the design is such that the water evaporation takes place throughout the tank, not just in the IOS portion, so it's visible when water evaporates and needs to be topped up. Less aesthetically pleasing and more rudimentary design, but very helpful as a visible reminder.

I've put in 1 hermit crab and 2 trochus snails over the weekend. Wasn't in office yesterday and came to work today to find the hermit crab and 1 trochus snail actively moving around. The other trochus snail is chilling at the water line. Should be still alive as he's clinging to the wall, but not really moving all morning.

I've also found a hitchhiker that probably came from the live rock on the back wall of my tank. It looks like a fat caterpillar/flattish sea cucumber.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
illumnae
Dragon

Anyone can id this hitchhiker? It's crawling around my back wall.

Old 18-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Nice project u hv going on there. Where FTS?

My old 24G nanocube. Yes it was overstocked! Lasted almost a year until it crashed while I was on holiday

Last edited by elimmel; 18-09-2012 at 02:00 PM.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
illumnae
Dragon

Wow bro, amazing tank! I'm still a noob la, can't compare to the beauty of your tank

Still no FTS yet as I'm constantly playing around with the rock placement etc...so always stirring dust particles up...whenever it clears i go kacau again Now puttied the live rock together, but after it cures I want to shift the whole structure about 30 degrees anticlockwise, so it'll need another 2-3 days at least to fully be ready for FTS as I don't want to shift the structure until the putty cures.

Any tips for a newbie like me?
Old 18-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Nanoreef when done right can be amazing but really hv to keep up with the maintenance.

Here's where I went for my 'research'

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/
Old 18-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
illumnae
Dragon

I've been visiting there on and off. Unfortunately, it seems to be on a badly maintained server and I keep getting Error 503 when trying to visit. Some days it's ok, but many times I encounter the error.

I'm using a modified IQ Skimmer in order to keep up with the parameters - my water changes will be 20% every 2 weeks, so in the meantime the skimmer will help keep things in check.
Old 18-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
elimmel
Senior Dragon

If i remember correctly, i used a weipro 2011 skimmer.
Initially had a piccolo skimmer. Cannot handle the load.