Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
skar'3

Default the requirements of substrate

Hi..
i would like to know..for a new tank what are the requirements of substrate we need to add for a planted tank.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
genes

Base ferts + lapis gravel will do the job. If got money to spare. Can go for ADA Aquasoil. These do not necessary need base ferts. The gravel itself it sufficient to support plant life.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
skar'3

wat about the medications to pour on a new tank?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
genes

Medications? Why would you need medications for a new tank? I think you mean liquid fertilizers right?

There are many liquid fertilizers around in the market, i am using Ferka and Dr. Mallicks. There are others like ADA, sera, nutrafin etc...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
moss_guy

Wink

I personally dont like base fert as it create too much mess when pulling out plant from tank during rescape. Prefer to use root monster instead. Adding liquid fert, powder nitrate & phosphate to the water column.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
binbeto

If u consantly pull up plant, it will get real messy.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
the_r0ck

Go to this webby to find out about planted tanks in general:

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articl...ges/index.html

Good thing about base fert is that it acts as a backup for rooting plants should the nutrients be insufficient in meeting the demands of the flora.

For the liquid fert, try to get a range that covers N, P, K and traces. (Products of Seachem and Dr Mallick's come to mind)

-Calvin
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
binbeto

If u need backup fert in the substrate, there is some slow releasing "pills" from Azoo. Maybe can consider.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
genes

Agree with Calvin. With just root monsters. I am afraid you may be limiting the variety of plants you can keep.

With base ferts, you can choose to go high tech anytime. You are not restricted to a low maintenance planted aquarium. Most of us use root monsters as a back up to supplement the base ferts. For example, in my tank with base ferts, i stick a root monster near to my tiger lotus to make it propagate more leaves.

Do not worry about rescaping and causing a mess in the tank. In the event you create a big mess after a rescape, large and frequent water changes will solve the milky/chalky water in no time. Have fun with this hobby!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
skar'3

thanks for the knowledge guys