Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
BettaCloud

Default Thermometer Inaccurate?!?!

Hi everyone, i wanna find out which brand of thermometer do u guys use? I am using analogue and digital type and both are inaccurate. The analogue type, i put 3 in same tank and only 2 show same temp but its different from my digital thermometer and different from my chiller.

Which brand should i get for higher accuracy so i can set my chiller temp correctly.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
marctan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCloud View Post
Hi everyone, i wanna find out which brand of thermometer do u guys use? I am using analogue and digital type and both are inaccurate. The analogue type, i put 3 in same tank and only 2 show same temp but its different from my digital thermometer and different from my chiller.

Which brand should i get for higher accuracy so i can set my chiller temp correctly.
I guess the thermometer can't be 100% accurate,will have a slight diff reading I thk
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
PierceTan
Dragon

You need to check what material and the thickness they are using for the casing also
PierceTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctan9 View Post
I guess the thermometer can't be 100% accurate,will have a slight diff reading I thk
True. In that case, how do u guys calibrate the chiller? Follow the thermometer?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Most likely thermometers we are using are the cheap ones and thus not exactly accurate. Do we need that high accuracy? If worried put in a few to see an average estimate.

Even clinical used thermometers used to measure body temperature is not 100% accurate for renown brands unless you are buying those costing in three digits.

Why do you need to be that precise, any particular reason?
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Xmant
Dragon

I would prefer analogue type rather than digital even both of them do introduce certain amount of errors. The error from digital tends to deviate from time to time whereas for the analogue type, the error is of systematic error. As long as one know the offset, the correct temperature can be determined.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
Most likely thermometers we are using are the cheap ones and thus not exactly accurate. Do we need that high accuracy? If worried put in a few to see an average estimate.

Even clinical used thermometers used to measure body temperature is not 100% accurate for renown brands unless you are buying those costing in three digits.

Why do you need to be that precise, any particular reason?
I saw my chiller showing 23.9 when my analogue thermometer shows 25 and my shrimps white portions starts to get faint and weaker. When i re-calibrate my chiller and it kicks in, awhile later my shrimps coloration gets better. Chiller stops when it reaches 23.9dc as i set it at 24dc. I was worried that my thermometer had that +-1dc that cause the chiller to be calibrated wrongly when i follow the reading.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

I'm only using Gex's analogue thermometer. Pretty good thus far
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
RonWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCloud View Post
Which brand should i get for higher accuracy so i can set my chiller temp correctly
IMHO, all thermometers have differences in readings, regardless of brand or type, ie. alcohol, mercury and digital.

If you've ever had the chance to pick 20 out of 60 units of lab-grade thermometers, you'll know that even the UK, USA-made ones have discrepancies, so it's either a case of all-correct or all-wrong.

FWIW, the temp readings is (at best) used as a reference point in whatever changes we make in a setup. The same goes for pH and TDS meters as well, hence the need for bi-annual recalibration.