Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
ralliart12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCloud View Post
Your tank is too small for so many shrimps....
May I know how many Sakuras & how many CRS I can safely keep in a tank of my specified dimensions?

Quote:
...I had green water...killed my ss crs n bds...
May I know what's "green" water, "ss" & "bds"?

Quote:
...Try to get a fan as inconsistent temp will affect shrimps too. ...
It's an office environment so the temperature should be more/less consistent. But what kinda fan r u referring to?

Quote:
...avoid anuabia if you want to play safe. im not too certain about this plant, so i avoid them. ...
Till now I'm still unsure if my plant is Anubia or mini nana...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
gex soil is capable to release small amount of ammonia...
But if the GEX soil continues to leak ammonia AFTER the water is cycled, isn't that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
...as for the noisy filter due to vibration,slit a airline tube and place it inbetween the contact point of the tank and the filter. it helps to reduce the noise level.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
You need to add anti chlorine like Mosura Shizhen into your new tank as well as future water top up...
Is this the "Old Sea Mud" thing I keep seeing people using (the small white bottle with red lettering)?

& u mean every small water change in e future I need to add this anti-chlorine? Or may I just use tap water that has been "seated" for a few days?

Quote:
For me I always soak new plants in salt water overnight then leave them in clean water for at least a day before adding to my tank.*
Soak a day in salt & a day before introducing it into the tank...got it. How concentrated must the salt concentration be?

Btw, if I leave the plant for a few days in the salt solution, wouldn't it die?

Quote:
...Is your office aircon switched on 24/7? If it is not then better don't get CRS
Yup (IT environment).
Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
jhyun

I've been keeping a 30cm by 15cm tank in office for the past 2 years. Just to share what I usually do.

- Setup your tank and let it run with the filter on first
- Get a couple of small hardy fish during this period and assist in the cycling process.
- During this period, I usually do around 20% water change every 2-3 days
- If no casualties after a week, should be good to go....
- If you want to play safe somemore, get some cull grade cherries and put them in for a few days... If no casualties then you can consider adding some more. But it appears your tank may be abit too small.

No idea if mini nana is poisonous to shrimps, but I have no issues with normal nana. You might want to consider getting something else just to play safe.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
newlife
Dragon

Bro....like all bros said....
Your tank is too small....
Proper cycle & correct water parameter is needed...

Get a 2 feet tank....water parameter more stable too....
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
avex30

1st tank too small minor adjustment to parameter will cause a dastic changes.
if you really want to keep don't do it once....

Determine what shrimp you want to keep crs,bds,king king, wine red,PRL etc. (Alot of people jump straight to these) But it is advise to start for hardy one. Since you already experience your 1st setback.

1) get a bigger tank i think if space problem at a 1.5 ft
2) invest in a canister (for more media if german brand too costly get china brand)
3) do a search and you can see a few thread regarding soil from there you should be able to get which soil is better.
4) Patience is the key cycle tank properly.
5) add shrimp slowly
6) most tank crashes at 3 to 4 th month (i learn from my own failure and from alot of helpful bros whom provide info and searching thru googles)
7) Chiller might be require for temp demanding shrimp. But if you start slow with hardy ones you can slowly look at the market for 2nd hand chiller.

I guess the rest is etc etc. Most of the bros already highlighted good luck.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
Navanod
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
Actually, if I intend to let it sit for a week, with filtration, would adding these 2 be unnecessary? i.e. let the water age & aerate naturally over time? If it's still necessary, may I know what brands (& model) of anti-chlorine and anti-chloramine to buy? As the LFS I patronise is a bit like SLS, i.e. price is decent but you have to know what you are looking for, as the storeowners is a bit bo chup the patrons one (pros & cons).
Chloramine is now in our PUB water and it does not break down naturally over time. You MUST add anti-chloramine to the water or your shrimps will die from having their gills burnt by the bleaching effect.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
ralliart12

Red face

Correction: my tank is 27.5cm (L) * 14cm (B) * 17.5 (H). Previously I measured wrongly (not that this corrected measurement made my tank significant bigger; it's still a small tank).

But nonetheless, actually I tink the verdict here is, I can forget about proceeding further unless I can afford the space for a bigger tank.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
BettaCloud

Bro, I think your tank, u try to keep 5 to stablize first. Once u know they are safe for say 1mth, increase by another pack of 5. Of cuz now that u mention its 27.5, 10-15 i dont see a problem if parameter is stable.

Green water = algae infested water, my water literally turned brownish green.
SS is the grade of CRS.
BDS means black diamond shrimps

Get a small fan like dymax brand at $6-8. As office air con is off at night, temperature will run up to 30without fan due to the running motor in the filter.

If i am not wrong, nana petite/mini nana belongs to the anuabia family which when cut will release sap that is harmful to shrimps.

Ensure the tank is properly cycled first. Can use niteout II from lfs, coupled with beneficial bacteria. Then measure the parameter in 1weeks time.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
Bettas4life

Quote:
Bro, I think your tank, u try to keep 5 to stablize first. Once u know they are safe for say 1mth, increase by another pack of 5. Of cuz now that u mention its 27.5, 10-15 i dont see a problem if parameter is stable.

Green water = algae infested water, my water literally turned brownish green.
SS is the grade of CRS.
BDS means black diamond shrimps

Get a small fan like dymax brand at $6-8. As office air con is off at night, temperature will run up to 30without fan due to the running motor in the filter.

If i am not wrong, nana petite/mini nana belongs to the anuabia family which when cut will release sap that is harmful to shrimps.

Ensure the tank is properly cycled first. Can use niteout II from lfs, coupled with beneficial bacteria. Then measure the parameter in 1weeks time.
bro, i suggest you stay away from CRS first, keep some more hardy types first like cherries. After you know the way around it, then slowly progress. Keep plants simple in the tank. Moss or some java ferns will do.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
ralliart12

Question

Quote:
...If i am not wrong, nana petite/mini nana belongs to the anuabia family which when cut will release sap that is harmful to shrimps...
Then in that case, should I just one-shot change the filter media as well? Got what filter media to recommend? Or should I cycle for a couple of weeks with activated carbon first (to really reset") THEN switch to "normal" filter media after that?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
jhyun

Your tank size about the same as mine.... just get a simple HOF will do.... media wise, sponge will suffice. If your filter has space, add a couple ceramic rings in if you want. There's no need to use carbon, just allow some time for your tank to cycle first, before adding shrimps in.

And avoid adding alot of shrimps one shot.
Maybe start with hardier shrimps like cherry and see how it goes first.
Once you know what to look out for, then slowly upgrade.