Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 13-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #41
ralliart12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
Let the SeaChem Prime work it out first. Removing other chemical that may be heavy for the beneficial bacteria to handle to prevent it from killing the BB. Then Add Bt-09 BB to water after the water has been stablized or so "assumed" stablized.
That's what I tot, i.e. all the anti-chlorine, anti-chloramine & anti-ammonia in the SeaChem may just be "hurting" bacteria growth (at the very beginning).

Al right, will wait for the SeaChem to work it's magic for around a day before I dump the BT-9.

Thanks, "Planted".
Old 13-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #42
dragonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
And please, why use fish to cycle the tank when there are many other options, WITHOUT USING LIVES? Why commit more murder after you have killed 10 CRS due to your mistakes?

Goodness sake, cycle the tank properly. There are threads discussing about how to cycle, maybe even, how to shorten the cycling period. Using any life forms is torturing the life, be it fish or what. Why don't you move and live in a hazzardous environment instead? No? Than don't do it to animals or fishes, etc!
Truely agreed with what you said
Old 13-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #43
bettaism

Quote:
My dear bro, CR = ceramic ring. try to get the brand eheim biohomme. It is kinda exp but is good. as for plants, i do introduce them in during my cycling period so as to absorb the NO3.

Remember, cycling = waste-> NH3(toxic in high amount, may cause ammonia burn) -> NO2 (toxic to livestocks) -> NO3, (less toxic, harmful but can be reduced through plants.)

I wont recommend market prawn as raw prawns from the sea may contain harmful bacteria/parasites that is fine for big fishes but can be too strong for shrimps to combat. Using pellets is a good idea. Otherwise get commercial products like BT-9 to introduce the beneficial bacteria, and look out for products that contain nitrogenous bacteria. Iread from past post someone mentioned NiteOut II with another product from the same company MicroLift, and the company also mention it can speed cycling to completion within a day.

Bro, i suggest you read up more on the sticky threads guiding you to setup shrimps tank as you buy your items. remember to add livestock few by few so as not to introduce a sudden heavy bioload which the beneficial bacteria in your tank cant take it yet. The bioload will release high NH3 and inturn affects your ph, NH3, NH4, NO2 and NO3.

I hope my contribution helped you in a way or so.
it has helped me
Old 13-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #44
ralliart12

Question Started cycling

Started cycling my tank today. Will do a near 100% WC tml as per this guideline; THEN add in some BT-9.

Quote:
You take reading 3days after your water change or adding of chemicals.
Actually should I just wait till a week has passed then take my readings? I have already bought KH, GH, PH, NH3, NH4, NO2, NO3 test kits on standby any ways...

Quote:
My dear bro, CR = ceramic ring. try to get the brand eheim biohomme. It is kinda exp but is good. as for plants, i do introduce them in during my cycling period so as to absorb the NO3...
I bought Rein Biohome Plus; I think it's "sintered glass", but should work the same as ceramic ring, no? i.e. provide huge porous surface area to house BB. I threw quite a few of these into my 2 HOF (in addition to the original sponge that came with them (the filters). A bit concerned about the rough texture of the "pieces" scratching the plastic insides of my HOF(s)...

Also started cycling another tank to act as standby source of "safe" water for future WC. 1 thing though, for the WC that is to be conducted during tank cycling stage only, I'm supposed to replace with tap water right?

May I also use that standby tank of water to quarantine plants that I bought from LFS before I introduce them into main tank? Thinking of getting some fissiden to house in that standby tank till my main tank is ready...
Old 14-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #45
ralliart12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
...Also started cycling another tank to act as standby source of "safe" water for future WC. 1 thing though, for the WC that is to be conducted during tank cycling stage only, I'm supposed to replace with tap water right?...
After reading a second time, realized I'm supposed to use de-chlorinated water to replace the water I changed out. I will be using the water from my secondary tank, i.e. where it's only treated with Seachem Prime & a filter.

But I dun grasp the logic: change out treated water & replace with the same type of treated water
Old 14-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #46
globalcookie
Dragon

Change water during cycling is to get rid of e pH spite, any other perimeters of new gravel that can kill shrimps, etc....... Adding anti-chlorine/chloramine is to prevent killing e bb colony. Get it? I know u dun like my reply b'cos I'm not friendly like e others. I am NOT warm. Most info are avail, if u bother to search.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #47
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Change water during cycling is to get rid of e pH spite, any other perimeters of new gravel that can kill shrimps, etc....... Adding anti-chlorine/chloramine is to prevent killing e bb colony. Get it? I know u dun like my reply b'cos I'm not friendly like e others. I am NOT warm. Most info are avail, if u bother to search.
Bro globalcookie, your reply is direct imho, but what matter most is knowledge shared and learnt! thanks for even bothering to reply because i do encounter forumer who claimed to know alot but dont want to share. -.-" Cheers!
Old 15-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #48
Planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
After reading a second time, realized I'm supposed to use de-chlorinated water to replace the water I changed out. I will be using the water from my secondary tank, i.e. where it's only treated with Seachem Prime & a filter.

But I dun grasp the logic: change out treated water & replace with the same type of treated water
Bro globalcookie has mentioned the point. age-ing the water has some benefits, search up on ageing water for aquarium to learn more. you can use aged water to quarantime your plant, but please do not water change with the water used to quarantine the plant!

Usually for quarantine of plants, i will use another pail or container, give it a salt bath for a day or 2, then rinse it well, soak in normal treated water for another few days.
Old 15-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #49
globalcookie
Dragon

I'm thinking..... is there anyone who is able to write a post in the sticky, on the step by step setting up of new tank, cycling, duriation, different medias, different gravel, etc?

Explain it in better/clearer details, so there are lesser unknowns (like in this case, fellow hobbyist mentioned changing of water with aged/treated water, but not WHY).

My brain isn't working. Don't know how to write. Have not set up enough tanks to be experienced enough to provide so much info/input.

ANYONE? Believe it will benefit many!

-----edit-----
I tend to be 'unfriendly' esp when I realised 'attempt murder' concept is used to cycle tank. And in instances where questions and answers are readily available, I tend to end up sounding hostile. I mean, hey, there're stickies and the search function is there isn't it? I'm quite amazed by the wealth of info available in AF.

Last edited by globalcookie; 15-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
eviltrain

hee hee,bro GC

most of the time newbie don't even check out the stickies or read through threads.