Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

another nice setup. bro
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Pikapig
Dragon

bro wat substrate are u using?

wats the fauna?

i believed i have used the similar substrate before..and it traps dirt inside....and water will foul v easily....unlike using soil u will need a good cleaning to remove all the dirt beneat it...if not, u will notice worms wriggling ard...
Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
a-lex-xas

wah bro, one word..
NICEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

just my 2 cents worth uh, i feel that the types of moss don't blend in well together. BUT, nonetheless, thumbs up bro!!
looking forward to see more expert scaping from you..
cheers
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
How about christmas moss? they are really nice. i haf a a few bunches in my 1 feet. they look like java moss, only they form triangular shapes.
Yeah, I've heard about christmas moss, but they are a bit on the pricy side?
Anyone here used mini java moss before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
very nice scape again by u jade..

im a fanatic of marimo ball too...they jus look awsome to me...got tons of them in my shrimp tank hehe..
heh.. I was planning once to order 30 of them from petmart for my new shrimp tank, but I had to back down because of the cost. Can't wait to scape my new shrimp tank.. guess I got to wait till Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleflare View Post
Bro JIG.. Yet another great scape... tot u cannot do any more new tanks? hee hee..

As usual, i got some comments... hope u wun find me a bother... i jus find that the structure isnt pronounced enuf... like too smooth a slope... maybe can have a bit of rock or wood jagging out in e middle of the slope. cos e mossball and java moss dun really "merge/blend".. jus my humble opinion... paiseh...
These tanks are special so can do.

Thats a fantastic suggestion! Someone else told me that too. But for this scape, I am gonna keep it as it unless I can find some really good hardscape to carry that out. But for my next small tank, I am thinking of doing a protruding hardscape to lend some nice detail to the scape.

Really glad you suggested this too!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong68 View Post
another nice setup. bro
Thanks bro leong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
bro wat substrate are u using?

wats the fauna?

i believed i have used the similar substrate before..and it traps dirt inside....and water will foul v easily....unlike using soil u will need a good cleaning to remove all the dirt beneat it...if not, u will notice worms wriggling ard...
I am using some inert gravel substrate. Hmm, this is really a concern if the substrate inside will get all dirty and breed worms. I have always held back using soil because it is expensive when compared to inert gravel and I usually do not plant plants so there is no need for soil.

I want to open this to discussion especially for all the scapers here who use both soil and inert gravel extensively, what would be better for a small tank like mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-lex-xas View Post
wah bro, one word..
NICEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

just my 2 cents worth uh, i feel that the types of moss don't blend in well together. BUT, nonetheless, thumbs up bro!!
looking forward to see more expert scaping from you..
cheers
Thanks bro!

As usual, another great comment highlighted by another bro too. I am gonna let the moss grow in a little and then see how, but most likely I am gonna leave it to soften the edges of the hardscape and to create continunity.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
Pikapig
Dragon

soil would be good if u are planning for it to last and judging from ur scape..its not easy to do some suction of the gravel beneath the plants...unless u realli takes effort in cleaning up the tank..if not, all the dirt trap in the gravel will be a problem....the parameter of the water...will be terrible for the fauna and flora...

Understand that it might be a little wasteful to use soil for plants that are not rooted...if that is teh reason, i would rather go without any base....like bro kencf design in another thread...no gravels no nothing...

Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
kencfk

No water flow or filtration? Looks like you gotta change water quite regularly eh.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
soil would be good if u are planning for it to last and judging from ur scape..its not easy to do some suction of the gravel beneath the plants...unless u realli takes effort in cleaning up the tank..if not, all the dirt trap in the gravel will be a problem....the parameter of the water...will be terrible for the fauna and flora...

Understand that it might be a little wasteful to use soil for plants that are not rooted...if that is teh reason, i would rather go without any base....like bro kencf design in another thread...no gravels no nothing...

Thanks for the info. What do the others think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencfk View Post
No water flow or filtration? Looks like you gotta change water quite regularly eh.
Water change is a cup of water, daily.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
ethan

[QUOTE=JadeIceGreen;6209401]Yeah, I've heard about christmas moss, but they are a bit on the pricy side?
Anyone here used mini java moss before?

polyart selling at $3 per bunch like any other moss, but must order.
C328 selling them tied to DW, can go from $18 to $28.
Buy some christmas moss for christmas. coming soon. heh heh.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
polyart selling at $3 per bunch like any other moss, but must order.
C328 selling them tied to DW, can go from $18 to $28.
Buy some christmas moss for christmas. coming soon. heh heh.
C328 and polyart is too far for me. I may try getting some from petmart soon. I may get some christmas moss, or I may not. Right now, I am very interested in mini java. Anyone knows what it is like?