Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 31-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
TKS1970
Arofanatic

Alvin,
looking good! Do you plan to keep all equipment in the right cabinet?
TKS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS1970 View Post
Alvin,
looking good! Do you plan to keep all equipment in the right cabinet?
Thanks
Indeed, the right cabinet is 3 feet and has 60cm allowance inside - it is going to fit all the equipment. This is the only way I can have a very low-profile tank main cabinet. Project will take another 2 months I reckon - taking it very slowly as home renovations are ongoing and a lot of things are incomplete.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
TKS1970
Arofanatic

Yah, setting up is always the most fun. You can slowly enjoy
does the cabinet come with doors? Heat dissipation for the chiller? As for the light, can consider go for hanging type, like ADA's.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Chiller will be in the cabinet as well . It will be situated at the right-most part of the equipment cabinet.

The backpanel of the chiller is intentionally left exposed - I will need to use some simple plastic panels to fabricate an 'exhaust tunnel' for the chiller so that expelled warm air does not re-enter the cabinet.

Air is drawn in from a large square cutout at the left corner of the lower cabinet so that the air going in to the cabinet is relatively cooler. The air intake is about 8-9 feet away from the exhaust. I may add a fan at the intake portion.

Lighting

I am still uncertain of how I can hang the lights. I have a used set of lights that does not have a hanging kit. May need to drill holes to do so - or purchase a new set of lights with come with proper hanging kit. I will use the light stands in the beginning.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
TKS1970
Arofanatic

Alvin,
May I know what is the software you used to produce this nice nice 3D drawing, Solidwork?
I feel that it may be a bit cramp to house all the equipment in that cabinet...
Maybe you can add these items into your drawing to have a better picture
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Hi TKS1970,

The software used is a freeware by Google, called SketchUp 7 that I found off the search engine.

Regarding the 3 feet equipment holding area, it may indeed be too tight. I will heed your advise and try to test the positioning at home and possibly adjust my plans. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
ngphon

[quote=Alvin Koh;6996781]Calvin, didn't know that Oyama paper is bad. I probably haven't been reading up enough on them.. When you say paper backings, I reckon the application is just to leave the cardboard behind the tank without any direct pasting on to the glass? I will search the forums for the reasons.

steroiduser88.

I haven't ordered the tank yet. I am going down to havelock road LFS maybe later to check it out in person and to find out the prices as well. May order online depending on the cost difference. Online sites are showing $550+.

I think the reason for the protrusion is because 4 feet converted to centimeters is slightly longer by a bit. I am also a newbie regarding planted. [/quote]

no not truth,it is due to the light holder,both end,the end cap.normal type will look something like our,t8 light holder.if you opt for those waterproof end cap.whereby the tube end is embedd inside the cap,therefore the total length of the casing will not exceed 4ft.those china or taiwan brand,most of them will be longer then our tank,due to end cap and switch being attach at the side.if the switch is at the top,with waterproof end,it will fix nicely with some allowance even.