Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
visuall

Default Need some advice on start up please.

Hi people.. sorry, am pretty new to such a hobby.. so please bear with me.. i really need some advice and help.

I'd like to know how much would a large tank cost? mmm.. like those that we see in Seafood centres? the large ones.. and what do i need to for set up? e.g the pumps.. filters.. and all..

And is it true that there's this device that will automatically sense the Ph value and treat it? or some electronical device to alter the temperatue and ph value or water conditions automatically?

I've seen some really awesome marine displays.. was thinking of getting one myself too.. but how much would the set up cost? for example.. the pumps and the devices and most importanly.. the tank... haha~

Really appreciate the help and avice.. thanks again~
Old 04-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
kpk

You should start reading the useful sticky threads like this:

http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77883

Before you go into marine, do read and read up on this hobby.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Steven Lim

I agree with what Kpk said.

You should read up on the hobby. There is just too much information to tell you in forum here. Marine tanks are also more difficult than fresh water tanks.

You have to read up on cycling of tanks (Check aroboy's web links)
You have to worry about water parameters pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Copper, temperature, chlorine, chloroamine etc.

There are also other things to consider e.g compatibility of fish, type of lights to use, Aquascaping, the kind of filter suitable, planted or not planted, chiller, denitrator, carbon dioxide, different waters for different fish, illness.

You can check all this info from the internet.

Tanks' cost is subjective. Do you want it with iron stands, cabinets or what? Arcylic or glass, how thick? Shape of tank? Size of tank? 4 feet to 6 feet or you want custom made? Material? Cost varies by a big range. It would be good for you to check out the farms and LFS before deciding.

As to basic needs, you need
a filter (most likely cannister for such a big tank),
Lights would make your tank look good (different kind of lights for different kind of setup),
Air pump,
chiller may be needed for marine,

The rest like pH meter, thermometer, magnet algare cleaner, would be good to have.

I am doing fresh water tank so that is the maximum I can tell you. Maybe some brothers here can tell you more or tell you something additional.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
KaLiB

Firstly, welcome to the hobby. There's no short cut to the marine fishkeeping hobby, you must do your reading up prior to starting. Its good that you asked to find out first before starting.

For marine fishkeeping, there's simply too much information to tell you here as what bro Steven Lim has mentioned. Even just the basics could need several posts as can be seen by deep_end's article. The link to deep_end's article can be found in bro kpk's post. It would help answer your questions like "what do i need?", "how to setup?".

It would be far more effective to do your own reading up and then ask questions later when you still have doubts that you can't clarify.

Quote:
And is it true that there's this device that will automatically sense the Ph value and treat it? or some electronical device to alter the temperatue and ph value or water conditions automatically?
I don't know if there's any device that alters pH values, but there are devices in the market called electronic pH meters that read pH values instead of having to use testkits.

Example: pH testpens

Quote:
I've seen some really awesome marine displays.. was thinking of getting one myself too.. but how much would the set up cost? for example.. the pumps and the devices and most importanly.. the tank... haha~
This will really depend on alot of factors like exactly what type of setup your considering, size of the setup etc.. Bro Steven Lim has mentioned several of the factors to consider.

What setup your considering? Fish? Corals? Mix? What size? 2ft?4ft?6ft?

The price of a tank can vary greatly. Even a 2ft tank can cost anywhere from $100+,$200 to $1000+ depending on the type of setup. There's alot of factors to consider, so if you have an idea of what you want, you can list it down for us to try to have a better estimation of the final cost.

Overall, bro steven lim has given you some good points to ponder over as well as to find out about, like cycling, what sort of setup do you want? etc.. Do readup the article linked by bro kpk, its a good article that will give you an overall understanding of the hobby.

Of course, if you have any queries that can't be answered after reading, feel free to post them here for us to help you with. Rememeber, for marine fishkeeping, the key to success would be to be patient and do your reading up first before starting.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
visuall

ok ok~ Thanks for the info.. this forums' really great.. much neede the information and advice.. and honestly, i was quite surprised to see such fast replies and so many to be exact.. Thanks again.. looks like i've gotta do some homework before I even begin this hobby huh..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
KaLiB

Thats right, it would be good to plan out your setup, do your research before starting. This way, you would start of correctly and increase your chances of success.

There are plenty of useful articles in the articles section that would be able to help you along.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
Sherman_Wong

Default down to earth....or get burn in the pocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visuall View Post
Hi people.. sorry, am pretty new to such a hobby.. so please bear with me.. i really need some advice and help.

I'd like to know how much would a large tank cost? mmm.. like those that we see in Seafood centres? the large ones.. and what do i need to for set up? e.g the pumps.. filters.. and all..

Hey bro welcome to the world of reefing!!!

I think first of all you should get to know if all these equipment first. Are they what you really really wanted. Because sometimes infact most of the time getting your set cum equipment lay out in a simple way without all that electronical device could be better of. Simple equipment with very good proven results.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
blackwhale88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman_Wong View Post
Hey bro welcome to the world of reefing!!!

I think first of all you should get to know if all these equipment first. Are they what you really really wanted. Because sometimes infact most of the time getting your set cum equipment lay out in a simple way without all that electronical device could be better of. Simple equipment with very good proven results.

swee..nice setup
Old 27-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by visuall View Post

Welcome to an expensive hobby

Cost is relative...beside the hard cost...there are lot's of soft cost...such as time.

Take a look at my tank...5 years...over $25k invested but I am happy ~ priceless