Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
alvinchan80

Default Mission to artificial hatch...

This morning went to my tank and saw an old berried female mama 'passed on'..
She stayed in the same position since last night but she was still struggling so I never disturb her but could tell that she might not survive..
She been with me for about a year now so all I could do is to save her offspring..

This is what I did... Let's hope these little 'eyed' fellas could make it... Removed them from the mama with a small spoon.. And in they go...
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
mincedmeat

You mean she was still carrying eggs? Is that even possible?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
alvinchan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
You mean she was still carrying eggs? Is that even possible?
Yes, she was still carrying eggs at the point of death.. But she was an old mama and maybe it's stressing to carrying the eggs in her age.. Hahaha... But this happens, only way is to 'save' as much as the offspring as possible..

And yes, this is possible and I believe quite a few shrimp keepers experience this before...
Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Koji™
Account Disabled

Can. Done before. Just constantly have a good gentle flow of water passing through will be fine. Good luck!!~
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
DarkMind

Interesting. You mean you removed the eggs from the mother shrimp and try to hatch the eggs artifically?

Any links which elaborate on this method?

Can this method work on fish like guppies or mollies too? (my female black molly just died but I think it has eggs in her)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
alvinchan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMind View Post
Interesting. You mean you removed the eggs from the mother shrimp and try to hatch the eggs artifically?

Can this method work on fish like guppies or mollies too? (my female black molly just died but I think it has eggs in her)
Yes.. Use a small spatula to slowly scoop out the eggs from the mama shrimp's under belly..

As for fishes, I really don't know if it will work.. You have to try it out but fishes means you have to cut open the tummy to extract the eggs?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Eugene THS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMind View Post

I thought guppies and Molly give birth live ?only fertilize egg will turn in to a fish then come out
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene THS View Post
I thought guppies and Molly give birth live ?only fertilize egg will turn in to a fish then come out
Yes, you have a point...Just wondering if there is any way I can save the babies...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
DarkMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinchan80 View Post
Yes.. Use a small spatula to slowly scoop out the eggs from the mama shrimp's under belly..

As for fishes, I really don't know if it will work.. You have to try it out but fishes means you have to cut open the tummy to extract the eggs?
I see...thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinchan80 View Post
This morning went to my tank and saw an old berried female mama 'passed on'..
She stayed in the same position since last night but she was still struggling so I never disturb her but could tell that she might not survive..
She been with me for about a year now so all I could do is to save her offspring..

This is what I did... Let's hope these little 'eyed' fellas could make it... Removed them from the mama with a small spoon.. And in they go...
this type of simple net cannot ensure high hatch rate. Use DIY eggs tumble is better especially for young eggs as it reduce the chance of getting moulded.

Last edited by silane; 09-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote