Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 18-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #21
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny
I don't understand this statement. Did you mean that when taking picture using the Raw mode (using DSLR), higher ISO and lower ISO will not be easily differentiated by the untrained eye?

Cheers,
Yes Bro.
For most of the people who just take photo for fun(print of no more than super 8R,view through TV ,normal PC monitor) and not as a pro or
had gone throught some courses on photography I believe not many can detect the different in a correctly expose photo taking under ISO 100 or ISO 200 or ISO 400.
Maybe I am wrong.But this is what I observe.

Regards
Old 18-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
ashdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Adequate lighting is definitely important for a good pic.
But adequate lighting for photography and adequate lighting
for a tank can sometime be different.(Maybe I am wrong)
So investing in additional lighting just for a good photo may not
be justify unless you are going to take photo of your tank very often.
Not to mention about the running cost one had to bear with the additional light unless it is a requirement for the tank.
Just my 2 ct thought

Regards
Sherman, lighting comes in many forms. I know someone who takes increadable pics ,with a camera that you would never believe me if I told you.
It is not the camera that makes the photo ,although it will help give you that final edge.

This is not a great pic , but it was taken a while back by me with a 3 mega pixel lumix camera( Just an ordinary point and shoot camera) Tell me what you think?
Old 18-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #23
slooow

Quote:
Not to mention about the running cost one had to bear with the additional light unless it is a requirement for the tank.Just my 2 ct thought

Regards
imho, adequate lighting for any photography is the same... adequate means adequate... right?

and photography = photo + graphy = light [photo] + studies [graphy]

in simple terms means "the study of light" and how you capture it

i have 2x sb800 and 1x sb600 now... but if you ask me, i would still ask normal home users to buy more FL or PL lights for the tank...

more lights really helps... [of cos dont be like me... cos i use the flash for other events]

the last sentence of yours... [in bold] you only switch on ALL the FL or PL lights during photo session which may last 15minutes or at most an hour other than that, switch off everything lah

Last edited by slooow; 18-09-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 18-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #24
slooow

Quote:
Yes Bro.
For most of the people who just take photo for fun(print of no more than super 8R,view through TV ,normal PC monitor) and not as a pro or
had gone throught some courses on photography I believe not many can detect the different in a correctly expose photo taking under ISO 100 or ISO 200 or ISO 400.

Regards
you are still confusing me bro...

for example...
correct exposure 1/100 f/4 iso200
vs
correct exposure 1/200 f/4 iso400
vs
correct exposure 1/400 f/4 iso800
vs
correct exposure 1/640 f/4 iso1250
vs
correct exposure 1/1000 f/4 iso1600

what difference do you actually see?

cos for me, for my girlfriend, my mother ... and grandma... we all see a very big difference hehehe

Last edited by slooow; 18-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 18-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #25
LHman

I believe there is no such a thing as a perfect good exposure picture , a photo can be underexpose but what if what's within it give you the kind of mysterious mood and unexplained feel , that will draw more curiousity and attention to the photo be more interesting or rather would u prefer something that has the politically right expose picture but everything is flat and dull in it ?

Just my humble view .
Old 19-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
benny

Quote:
I'm sure we all agree on this point.

Quote:
No. If it's is bright enough for photography, it's usually too bright.

Quote:
I don't think spending a few hundred dollars on a new camera that's going to give you the same problem is a better investment. No more justified. In any case, most folks seem to think that compact or low end digital cameras are doom to take crapy pictures. Here's a field test that I did on an entry level 4 megapixel camera.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...highlight=ixus

Quote:
Not to mention about the running cost one had to bear with the additional light unless it is a requirement for the tank.
Which is why I suggested that it's only turned on when you need to shoot. Otherwise, too much light will cause algae and heat up the tank. Stress the fish too.

Cheers,

Last edited by benny; 19-09-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 19-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #27
benny

Quote:
Yes Bro.

Regards
You'll be surprised what a correctly exposed grainy picture looks like on a 3R picture, not to mention super 8R (8 X 12 inches for those interested). The lack of sharpness and resolution will be apparent, even on screen.

If you are interested, www.dpreview.com or www.clubsnap.com will be a good read.

Cheers,
Old 19-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #28
benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHman
I believe there is no such a thing as a perfect good exposure picture
A very radical concept. Perhaps it's easier to say one man's meat is another man's poison. But I agree that the subjective nature of the disclipine leave a lot of room in the definition of a good picture.

Cheers,
Old 19-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #29
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdavid
Sherman, lighting comes in many forms. I know someone who takes increadable pics ,with a camera that you would never believe me if I told you.
It is not the camera that makes the photo ,although it will help give you that final edge.

This is not a great pic , but it was taken a while back by me with a 3 mega pixel lumix camera( Just an ordinary point and shoot camera) Tell me what you think?
I never say you need to invest in a great camera in order to take a good photo.
A camera is just a tool so a great picture is always create by the man behind the camera.
Old 19-09-2006, 01:05 AM   #30
sherman

the last sentence of yours... [in bold] you only switch on ALL the FL or PL lights during photo session which may last 15minutes or at most an hour other than that, switch off everything lah[/QUOTE]

That is what I mean, do you want to invest in additional lighting just to ocasionally take your tank and fish photos .Other than that they are just idleing on your tank.
Or you want to run these additional lights as well and incur additional running cost although your tank do not need these additional light at all