Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 27-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #31
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan View Post
Yes,for a while only,a day or two.Tried before when feed my lionhead.maybe the ah pek make it as food for carnivorous fishes?
er.... i dun think they fishes are carnivorous....
Old 27-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #32
Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
Today i saw 1 LFS at bukit timah shopping center...
the ah pek put some guppies in a marine tank and they survived!!!

Do some fresh water fishes able to make it in salt water???
some freshwater fish can live in brackish water...and you can actually train those fish to live in salt in a couple of weeks.
Old 27-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #33
Dirtbiker

brown colour stuffs growing on my LRs....
what should should i do to reduce or even prevent it from growing?
or is it normal in marine tank???

how to we consider a marine tank is mature???
Old 27-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #34
KaLiB

The brown stuff is most probably diatoms or brown algae. This is a common algae found in marine tanks but we can take measures to reduce or even prevent its growth.

Algae growth occurs when the water contains the nutrients it needs to grow. The 3 main fuels would be nitrates, silicates and phosphates. The best way to combat algae growth would be to attack the root of the problem, that is to remove the fuels.

Generally these are some methods:
Nitrates
- Reduce feedings
- Denitrator
- Use of a protein skimmer
- Regular maintenance of filter to prevent clogging up

Phosphates
- Use RO/DI water
- Usage of phosphate removal media like Rowaphos

Silicates
- Use RO/DI water
- Usage of silicate removal media, if i never remember wrongly, there's a product from Seachem that does it but i can't remember the name.
There's plenty of articles in the marine articles section that talks about combating algae. So do feel free to browse the section for the articles to find out more.

In general, a marine tank is considered to have matured after about 1year of running. Generally, signs that the tank is matured can be seen with the livestock fluorishing, liverocks full of life(like pods, worms etc..) and the growth of coralline algae.
Old 27-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #35
yan

Quote:

Bro, remove the effected LR and brush it off using old toothbrush.
Old 28-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #36
Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Listen to Kalib...and wait depending how much phosphate you already have in the tank and your water quality (Nitrate) New Tank Snydrome may last up to months...also make sure there's no direct sunlight into thetank too.

Quote:
Depending on what you are housing in your tank...once it's stable...meaning that water parameters don't change for a couple of months.

For example...if you are FOWLA...6 months you should be considered as just starting to mature

Reef only...12 months

Reef with Madarin gobies...never

It took my 300g reef about 9 months to reach a constant 0 on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate with WC every 3 months...with weekly RO/DI top offs
Old 28-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #37
Dirtbiker

this brown stuff suddenly out break right after i change my canister pump... from Hydor prime 30 to Eheim 2028...
this is the root cause...?

usually i feed once every 2 days with only half of the frozen brime shrimps cube.

should i add on a denitrator or have patient and wait till its mature???
Old 28-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #38
Madison

Quote:
this brown stuff suddenly out break right after i change my canister pump... from Hydor prime 30 to Eheim 2028...
this is the root cause...?

usually i feed once every 2 days with only half of the frozen brime shrimps cube.

should i add on a denitrator or have patient and wait till its mature???
In my opinion the root cause might be a change in your water quality...the stronger pump might have stirred up the bottom of your canister...what's the reading now?

Also when you added the denitrator the new media has not "matured" yet...give it some time and monitor your readings...

Hope that helps
Old 28-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #39
Madison

In your gallery...

The white mushrooms looking things are actually green mushrooms that are dying...need a blast of zoo's, planktons, cyclopeeze a couple time's a week...more light will help too

yellow thing ~ sponge...filter feeder ~ might turn brown and harden when the tank is stable
Old 28-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #40
KaLiB

Addition of a denitrator is useful if you do not have any means of dentrification, that is to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. However, a denitrator in general is quite costly so this may put some hobbyists off.

An alternative would be to use biohome as filter media. This media is supposed to have anaerobic zones within it to allow dentrification to take place. Biohome is also quite costly.

Either way, you would need to wait for the media to mature before seeing any effects of dentrification.

A change of filter is not likely to have caused the algae outbreak. It could have been coinicidence that the outbreak occured around the time you changed the canister filter.