Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 13-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Default Entry DSLR vs High End Compact Camera

We all know nice guppy photo are taken from DSLR camera with macro len.

The high end compact camera could take reasonable good guppy photo but could not reach the same effect from DSLR.

Two of the best photo taken by high end compact camera posted are :

Yaiksin using Canon Ixus using close up mode :
[/QUOTE]

Fireblade using panasonic LX3 with aperture f2.0, 1/20 speed ISO200 :
[/QUOTE]

For me using Canon 850IS with Macro mode, I could only achieve :

Recently the entry level of DSLR is selling around $900, see two models in today newspaper :
1) Nikon D3000

2) Sony A300L

I learn that we will need to set to Manual Mode with fast speed (either 1/250 or 1/125) with wide aperture (low value) to get good effect.

Could some one share whether the entry DSLR (like the above) would be able to take good guppy photo ? ie much better than the three high end compact camera cited.

Chiu
Old 13-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Lawrence Loh
Dragon

chiu,

I think it is inappropriate to post those camera advertisments in this forum.

sorry, no offence hor.........................
Lawrence Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

I think with the right equipment, we also need to have the skills and knowledge and lots of patience and practise..

wah! the Nikon is so good priced!!!!
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Lawrence,

I do not mean to advertise for them. There are a lot of models from Today edition for the Suntech IT Show event. I just picked up the entry DSLR with the price stated there. Just to give us some feel on the price level. These two models are so happened to be there at around $900 level.

The high end compact camera is also around $800-$900 level, so we have a choice now.

My focus is still on how to take good guppy photo. All along it needs to be DSLR with macro len. Now with the entry DSLR at a more reasonable price, will it help ?

Chiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Loh View Post
chiu,

I think it is inappropriate to post those camera advertisments in this forum.

sorry, no offence hor.........................
Old 13-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
foxwagon
Dragon

The DSLR prices have dropped these few years, the models you have mentioned are pretty decent.

You may wish to ask in the chatterbox section, there are discussion on cameras, you may get more attention to your queries there.

There is specifically a "photo" thread in chatterbox, there is also another thread on which DSLR to choose.

Have fun taking fish photos!
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

get the sony, nikon D3000 uses sony sensor.. or get the older version of the a330, the a300.. bigger battery life and better grip for guys.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
slypower50
Dragon

bro.. as a amateur, i used oly E510.. that is a entry camera like 2 to 3 years ago.. haha.. but i think it is enough as long as we have the patient to do so.. and most of the time the lens also matters quite a bit.. i will go for a entry-level body and a prime macro lens with flash.. just a tot..

also.. now SLR are getting rather cheap thus i think it is better to get them when compared to high end compact.. unless u wish for a more portable camera..

Last edited by slypower50; 14-03-2010 at 02:31 AM.
slypower50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #8
vaynard
Dragon

The pictures in my thread with the photos taken at the competition are being taken using Sony A330.
vaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #9

That is one intention of this post, we have a choice. If you are going for a high end compact camera, with the better pricing in entry DSLR, we could consider these, especially if it helps to take better guppy photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypower50 View Post
bro.. as a amateur, i used oly E510.. that is a entry camera like 2 to 3 years ago.. haha.. but i think it is enough as long as we have the patient to do so.. and most of the time the lens also matters quite a bit.. i will go for a entry-level body and a prime macro lens with flash.. just a tot..

also.. now SLR are getting rather cheap thus i think it is better to get them when compared to high end compact.. unless u wish for a more portable camera..
Old 14-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
SoToNgMaN

Senior Moderator

what is the usual deterant to get a DSLR?
- Costs, size, weight, attention grabbing & usage barrier (complicated)

what is the benefit to get a DSLR?
- flexibility to change setup, faster focus, more shots per second, perhaps better image quality

Sticking to canon & nikon you wont be wrong ... do not agree with point that getting a sony for the point of CCD made by sony ... if CCD made by matsushita (panasonic) ... everyone must get panasonic?

Sony has major problems with availability of 3rd party lenses/accessories & online references for sony setups are not as abundance in comparison to nikon & canon why speaks harder for beginners to pickup. Photography is all about self exploration & referencing how others take their shots.

The only reason why I would get a sony ... is that its the only system that supports AF with carl zeiss lenses ....

"Huo Dao Lao Xue Dao Lao"
Knowledge shall I seek till wither

Photography Gallery
http://www.watchsg.com
SoToNgMaN is offline   Reply With Quote