Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 05-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #71
Fishfan77
Arofanatic

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveikan View Post
Looks likes Najib has to step down first before he can be prosecuted. But most likely it would not happens as he will be busy "whitenung" while at the same time get others to be immersed in the same muddy water, greased their hands too.

Btw One of my friends in Malaysia told me that the title Tun is suppose to enjoy immunity from court.
But remember Tun Ling was being charged for corruption in the Port Dickson case.
Yes. He is now trying to get tun not only for himself but also...you know what...his rosie wife. But his wife wont get la.
Fishfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #72
loveikan
Arofanatic

Icic.

Maybe Rosmah will throw her huge collection of Hermes bag at the authorities.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #73
globalcookie
Dragon

Malaysia's ex-PM Mahathir quits UMNO again
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has quit the ruling party UMNO.

Posted 29 Feb 2016 16:52 Updated 29 Feb 2016 18:37

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad and former party division leader Khairuddin Abu Hassan have quit the ruling United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party.

"I won't call it UMNO anymore, this is (current Prime Minister) Najib's party. I feel embarrassed that I am associated with a party that is seen as supporting corruption - it has caused me to feel ashamed," he told reporters as he announced his exit at a news conference.

"I am very much ashamed of all that is happening, I decided that I cannot be a party to all these things, so the least I can to do is leave the party," he added. "I'm giving up on Party Najib. There is no more a party UMNO."

In a statement, Mahathir also accused Najib of "hijacking" UMNO to keep himself in power and free from criminal prosecution, amid a graft scandal surrounding state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB). "I am trying to make sure that Najib will not continue to be the PM of this country," he said.

Mahathir denied that his exit was over his disappointment that his son Mukhriz Mahathir was not the prime minister. Earlier this month, Mukhriz had stepped down as chief minister of the state of Kedah.

Describing the party as "incorrigible", Mahathir said he had tried to find reasons to remain in UMNO, but the last straw came when former deputy prime minister Muhyiddin Yassin was suspended from the party. Muhyiddin had made a number of speeches and comments critical of Najib.

"There should be a core group to bring everyone who wants to see the removal of Najib together," he added.

The ex-PM said that he would not set up a new party or join any other party, and that he will return to UMNO if "it is revived".

"I dislike founding new parties, because invariably it results in more splits. Some will follow, some will not follow. The end result will be weak parties," he explained. "I am still, at heart, UMNO."

Mahathir, Malaysia's longest-serving leader, remains a highly respected and influential figure and has become one of the fiercest critics of PM Najib.

Mahathir previously left UMNO in 2008, when Abdullah Badawi was prime minister. Mahathir rejoined the party in 2009 when Najib became prime minister.

KHAIRUDDIN ALSO QUITS

Following the announcement of Mahathir's exit from the party, former UMNO division leader Khairuddin also said he was quitting, reported Malaysiakini.

"I am officially declaring to leave UMNO with immediate effect. From this moment onwards, I am no longer a member of the Bukit Tambun UMNO branch or Batu Kawan UMNO division. I have lost faith in the leadership who are headed towards destroying the party," he said.

Likening UMNO to a corpse, Khairuddin described the party as one that is "no longer relevant", reported Malaysiakini.

"The current leadership has strayed from the original struggle and power is abused to defend those who are corrupt," Malaysiakini quoted him as saying.

- CNA/Reuters/xq/yt
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #74
hkh
Arofanatic

Don't think Dr Mahathir will cause much stir unlike when he quit back in 2008.........
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #75
globalcookie
Dragon

PKR moves to support Dr Mahathir, says it is time to bring change
Published: 29 February 2016 8:01 PM | Updated: 1 March 2016 7:02 AM

PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's resignation from Umno is a courageous move and will have a long-term impact on Malaysian politics. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 29, 2016.

PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's resignation from Umno is a courageous move and will have a long-term impact on Malaysian politics. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 29, 2016.

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's resignation from Umno will have far-reaching impact on Malaysian politics, and the rakyat must seize this moment to bring about change, says PKR, a party formed to topple the former prime minister when he was in power.

Its deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali said Dr Mahathir's “drastic and courageous” move, who was instrumental in bringing Umno to the pinnacle of power and success, would have ramifications with long-term impact on the Malaysian political landscape.

“We are witnessing a sea change in Malaysian politics. The old walls of division built upon years of politicking are finally collapsing.

“The announcement today by Dr Mahathir means that he has finally turned his back on his party.

“The ramifications of such a drastic but courageous move are yet to be fully understood. Nevertheless, there is no doubt they will be far-reaching and will have long term impact on our political landscape,” he said in a statement.
PKR was formed with the sole purpose of toppling Dr Mahathir after he sacked former opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim back in 1999.

Dr Mahathir announced his resignation from Umno this afternoon, saying that the party was no longer the Umno he knew as it was now dedicated to keeping current president and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak in power.

Dr Mahathir, who was prime minister and Umno president for 22 years until his retirement in 2003, has since last year been criticising Najib over state-owned investment firm 1Malaysia Development Berhad and the RM2.6 billion donation from the Middle East.

This was the second time he has quit Umno, the first time in May 2008, over unhappiness with Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, the then prime minister who led Barisan Nasional to dismal results in the general election that year.

After quitting, Dr Mahathir said he agreed with opposition parties PKR, Parti Amanah Negara and DAP on the need to remove Najib as prime minister and would set up a core group to achieve this objective.

Azmin, who is also Selangor menteri besar, said Malaysians from all backgrounds, who were paying a heavy price for the alleged crimes of corruption and power abuse of the administration, should now take the opportunity to bring change.

“All the institutions of our constitutional democracy have been violated to an unprecedented level and the mother of all financial scandals have broken loose with the perpetrators going about with absolute impunity.

“The fundamental principles of governance such as accountability and transparency have been turned upside down. Never in the history of our country has so much damage been wrought by so few.

“I call upon all Malaysians regardless of political affiliation, race, creed or religion to come together for the time is indeed ripe for all of us concerned citizens to seize the moment and bring about real and effective change.” he said. – February 29, 2016.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #76
globalcookie
Dragon

Dr Mahathir to set up core group to oust Najib
BY JENNIFER GOMEZ

Published: 29 February 2016 5:40 PM | Updated: 29 February 2016 8:11 PM

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is planning to set up a core group to remove the current prime minister. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Kamal Ariffin, February 29, 2016.

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he agreed with opposition parties PKR, Parti Amanah Negara and DAP on the need to remove Datuk Seri Najib Razak as prime minister and would set up a core group to achieve this objective.

The former prime minister, who quit Umno today in protest against Najib, said he had no plans to set up a new political party but would look at starting a group.

"It has not yet been formed, (I hope) a core group can show their commitment by signing a declaration.

"We agree on one thing, that is to get rid of Najib," referring to opposition parties.

He did not say, however, if opposition parties would be part of this group.

But he acknowledged that there were different people voicing the same opinion on Najib separately, and this could cause confusion.

"We need to have a core group with a single objective, so that if anybody wants to consult or support or object, they can do so through this group of people who will form the core of citizens who want Najib to be removed."

When asked if he would be leading this core group, Dr Mahathir said he would be one of its members but would not lead the group.

When asked if recently suspended Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin would follow him, he said, "I hope so."

Dr Mahathir announced that he would leave Umno today at a press conference in Putrajaya, saying that it was no longer the Umno he knew as the party was now dedicated to keeping Najib in power.

The retired statesman has been a staunch critic of Najib for more than a year now and even attended the Bersih 4 rally last August, which called for the prime minister's resignation over alleged financial scandals.

Dr Mahathir said some people might say he was disappointed that his own son (Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir) was not prime minister but denied that this was true.

If it were, he said, he would have promoted his son while he was still in power.

"But you know very well that he could only enter politics after I resigned. I don't practise nepotism," he said.

He also disagreed with critics who blamed him for current weaknesses in the country's institutions, such as undermining of the judiciary and concentrating power in the hands of the prime minister.

"I don't accept this accusation that I undermined the judiciary.

"In my time, the judiciary could even find Umno illegal, do you think at present Umno will ever be found illegal by the judiciary?

"I don't think so because in the first place the attorney-general will not allow the case to go to court."

Dr Mahathir has hit out at Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali for not pressing charges against Najib despite investigations by anti-graft investigators.

He has also accused Najib of undermining democracy in the silencing of dissenting voices, whether the media, which reported critically on Najib's brainchild 1Malaysia Development Berhad, or individuals who lodged reports against the state-owned investment firm.

But critics had said Dr Mahathir himself had instituted such repressive measures during his rule.

The former prime minister said he had tried to find a reason to stay on in Umno but last week's suspension of Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin made him realise that the party was "incorrigible".

"Only supporters of Najib will have a chance to be a candidate in the next election.

"I love this country, this is my country, but this man doesn't care for the country, he only cares for himself.

"It is because of his doing, I decided to leave," he said. – February 29, 2016.

----------------------------

Would be nice if those who leaves UMNO sets up a new party and joins hands with opposition.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #77
globalcookie
Dragon

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has rejected a proposal to set up a new party following his decision to leave Umno today, saying that the country already has too many political parties.

According to former Umno leader Tamrin Ghafar, who met Dr Mahathir earlier today before he announced his decision to quit the ruling party, the former prime minister felt that a new party would not help their struggle in any way.

"No need, there are already too many parties.

"The break-up of Umno resulted in PAS, Tengku Razaleigh left Umno and formed Semangat 46, Anwar set up PKR, and Amanah is a splinter of PAS,” Dr Mahathir told Tamrin, four Amanah MPs and one PKR lawmaker who met him in Putrajaya today.
They are Datuk Dr Mujahid Rawa (Parit Buntar MP), Dr Hatta Ramli (Kuala Krai), Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud (Kota Raja), Mohamed Hanipa Maidin (Sepang) and PKR MP for Batu Chua Tian Chang.

In the meeting, Dr Mahathir told them that he had gotten together 40 influential leaders of the country and would prepare a public memorandum to be presented to the Conference of Rulers.

He said his decision was because Umno was no longer what it used to be and its focus now is to keep Datuk Seri Najib Razak in power.

This is the second time the former prime minister has quit Umno, the first time in May 2008, over unhappiness with Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi the then prime minister who had led Barisan Nasional to dismal results in the general election that year.

Dr Mahathir was also sacked from the party in 1969.

Following his sacking, he used the PAS stage to offer his views.

Recently, Dr Mahathir met two senior PAS leaders at his home in Country Heights, Selangor.

The meeting was held at the request of Dr Mahathir, who had wished to meet PAS deputy president Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man. Also at the meeting was PAS elections director Datuk Mustafa Ali. – February 29, 2016.

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianoutsider.com/....kW5a2hQH.dpuf
Old 01-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #78
globalcookie
Dragon

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s exit from Umno is going to make little difference to the party in the short term unless he can trigger a snowball effect where others leave the party as well, political analysts say.

The impact of his leaving, however, may be felt more outside the party if he continues to attack the Umno leadership from the outside, which could cause the ruling Malay party to suffer in the next general election.

As it stands, his resignation remains a solo act, Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs chief executive Wan Saiful Wan Jan said.

“I doubt his resignation from Umno will have an impact unless he is able to trigger even more resignations from other leaders. If this remains a lone protest, it will not make any difference.
“In order to produce impact, this has to snowball into a bigger protest,” he told The Malaysian Insider.

But Wan Saiful said this would be unlikely as his influence was not as strong as before.

“It will be difficult for him to pull tricks again.”

-------------------------

Rebel Umno leaders to decide tonight whether to leave party
Published: 29 February 2016 5:50 PM | Updated: 29 February 2016 9:25 PM

The Coalition of Branch Chiefs Malaysia members will hold an emergency meeting tonight to decide their fate with Umno after Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad left the party. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 29, 2016.
The Coalition of Branch Chiefs Malaysia members will hold an emergency meeting tonight to decide their fate with Umno after Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad left the party. – The Malaysian Insider file pic, February 29, 2016.
The Coalition of Branch Chiefs Malaysia (GKCM), a group of Umno branch leaders demanding party president Datuk Seri Najib Razak's resignation, will hold an emergency meeting tonight to decide whether to remain in the party or leave, following the departure of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

GKCM vice-president Rushdan Mohamed said the news of Dr Mahathir quitting the party was serious and reflected the political situation in the country.

"We had a closed door meeting with Dr Mahathir a while ago and he assured us that he will always be with us although he has left 'Party Najib'.

"It is very sad that we have reached this state that the man who built this country has made a decision to leave the party."
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #79
globalcookie
Dragon

The Wall Street Journal continued with its expose of Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s bank accounts, reporting today that the prime minister received more than US$1 billion – hundreds of millions more than previously identified.

The US-based business daily said its sources said global investigators believe much of it originated with a state investment fund, 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

The WSJ began its expose of Najib’s personal bank accounts last July but has yet to be sued by the prime minister, who has denied all allegations.

Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali said in January there was insufficient proof to charge Najib with any wrongdoing over the US$681 million found in his bank accounts.
But WSJ said the investigators’ belief contradicted the A-G’s conclusion.

The A-G had said that US$681 million deposited to Najib’s account was a legal donation from a member of Saudi Arabia’s royal family and most was returned.

Apandi said there was nothing improper and it was time to stop scrutinising the deposits, a notion echoed by Najib.

But today, WSJ also reported that investigators in two other unidentified countries, agreed that most of the US$681 million was ultimately returned as announced by the A-G.

Yet, it said the investigators believe the money originated from 1MDB, which has consistently denied allegations that its funds were used for other purposes than investments.

The WSJ said investigators believe the money moved through a complex web of transactions in several countries and with the help of two former officials of Abu Dhabi, a Persian Gulf emirate with which 1MDB has deep ties.

“The investigators are focusing on an entity they believe was a crucial conduit: a firm with a name almost identical to that of a state-owned Abu Dhabi company called Aabar Investments PJS,” WSJ said.

In its filings, 1MDB reported paying more than US$1 billion to Aabar – not specifying a full name.

Rather than going to the state-owned Abu Dhabi company, investigators believe the money flowed to the similarly named firm, which was registered in the British Virgin Islands, and US$681 million made its way circuitously from there to Najib’s account, the newspaper said.

1MDB was set up in 2009 as a strategic investor but was the focus of several investigations last year when it racked up a debt of RM45 billion.

Probes began in Malaysia, the United States, Switzerland, Singapore, Hong Kong and Abu Dhabi, according to the WSJ.

The WSJ reported last year that some of the funds went towards projects which helped Najib’s ruling Barisan Nasional retain power in a close 2013 general election. – March 1, 2016.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #80
globalcookie
Dragon

Najib arrives in Jeddah for working visit
Published: 1 March 2016 10:07 AM

Datuk Seri Najib Razak has arrived in Jeddah as part of a working visit to Saudi Arabia.

The Malaysian prime minister is expected to have an audience with King Salman Abdulaziz Al-Saud.

Najib and his wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, were welcomed on arrival by Malaysian ambassador Zainol Rahim Zainuddin as well as Saudi officials.

The special aircraft carrying Najib and his entourage touched down at the King Abdulaziz International Airport at 11.50pm (local time) on Monday. Malaysia is five hours ahead of Saudi Arabia.
Najib will kick off his visit to the kingdom by performing the umrah in Mecca today.

Tonight, he is scheduled to share his views on private-public partnership when he delivers his keynote address at the Jeddah Economic Forum 2016.

Besides Jeddah, the prime minister will also visit Riyadh.

Also in his itinerary is visiting members of the Malaysian armed forces currently based at Hafar Al Batin.

Accompanying Najib are Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein, Ministers in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom and Datuk Seri Abdul Wahid Omar, as well as senior government officials.

A Foreign Ministry statement said the working visit would help boost efforts to further enhance and strengthen existing bilateral ties between both countries.

Politics, economy, defence and haj affairs are among key areas where the two nations share close relations. – Bernama, March 1, 2016.

----------------------

Maybe preparing escape route