Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 18-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #21
Maxburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET8 View Post
Here's some pic, same camera same macro setup. Wish I have a better camera for macro
I like the runners plant, may I ask where did you buy it from? Nice tank and surprise you can find almost the same shape of rock like the Amano book...lolz. I like it cos very zen kind of feeling... keep up the good work!
Old 18-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #22
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET8 View Post
Here's some pic, same camera same macro setup. Wish I have a better camera for macro
POWER! Keep us updated on your tank. Good effort! Nice tank!
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
IKI

Very nice bro...........
Old 18-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #24
wasabi8888

ET8

I really tempted to do HC as well in my new set-up.....

Couple of questions:

1. you said you removed the HC from the brick and tied it to the mesh. After which you placed the mesh in the gravel. Why did you not fill up all the empty spaces with the HC mesh? Is is easier to tie HC to mesh?

2. Any algae problems?

3. My impresssion has always been that HC is a very challenging plant that requires high light and consistent Co2. Without that, i thought HC will melt and rot or algae will overtake the tank.
Old 18-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #25
ET8

Hi Maxburns,
I bought the HC from the shop beside 328. Couldn't remember the shop name. Alight at Clementi MRT, Exit MRT to the side that has HDBs (don't exit to the McD/Interchange side), there're few fish shops there. Price is reasonable. Was selling for $10 a brick.

The brick is around 4 by 6 inches. I saw it at other fish shopbefore. So it might be a pretty common plant to come by.
Old 18-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #26
ET8

Hi Wasabi8888,
1. Initially I was thinking of removing the HC from the brick, tie it a the whole wire mesh and plant it into the tank. The reason why I didn't do this is because I've shapen the gravel/soil unevenly-with humps and bumps. So to place the whole big piece of mesh would spoilt the soil shape. So instead I cut the wire mesh into little pieces, around 2cm x 2cm(roughly la..no need to be cun cun one), then tied the HC to it. Of course the HC is also cut to around 2cmx2cm. Tying wise, it's quite easy. I use a cotton string, cut into some length, round up the mesh and the HC. Now the HC and the mesh acts as a single piece and it's easy to plant.

I wanted to fill all the empty space but don't have enough HC. Also I think it's nice to leave some space for the HC to grow.

2. No algae so far, maybe because it's cold 22-24C. With fan, it's 20-24C

3.My first impression was the same, and the result from the first batch of HC was indeed it melted. This was using the submersed HC batch from Sam's Pet Shop. Later frusrated over melted HC, I bought the partial emersed HC from the shop beside 328, cut it up, tie it to the little cut-up mesh and plant it. I was expecting it to melt but it didn't. Been couple of weeks now and not a single leaf melted. In fact it turn greener. I caught an earthworm when the timer was turn on yesterday morning. So this evoked a thought - if an earthworm could survive in the soil inside an aquarium tank for couple of weeks, it must be having enough oxygen to breath. I wonder how the sufficient oxygen gets in. One thought is the ADA soil is used was newly thrown in and it traps the O2 and the worm gets its life from it. Just my guess.