Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 29-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
berlinjs

Default co2 turn on for 24hrs

as above will the fishes die of co2 poisoning? lighting with timer however co2 is manual operated, forgot to shut it off.
should l do a water change? by how much if so?
Old 29-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
bbpippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinjs View Post
as above will the fishes die of co2 poisoning? lighting with timer however co2 is manual operated, forgot to shut it off.
Firstly in the day when light is on and co2 is on, Ph drops
At nite lights are off, co2 is on, Ph should drop even more because the plants cannot photosynthesize and as a result the co2 levels will build up.
Plants at nite uses oxygen and gives out co2.

So this will cause a greater reduction in ph and well as oxygen.
The fishes will be in a way starved of oxygen. and the main thing concern is the ph difference, this might be lethal to the fishes, rather then the oxygen starvation or co2 levels.

hope it helps.
Old 29-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
bengy

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinjs View Post
bro if is for 1 night it shouldn't be a problem. on lesser the next day... time to get a solenoid man.. hassel free but with solenoid i also become lazy never check co2 left in tank haha

anyway if you scared.. add air pump or create movement on water surface, this promotes air exchange with environment...
Old 29-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Emmanuel
Arofanatic

i'd my co2 on for weeks without turning them off(busy due to exams). fishes are all healthy and feeding. so i think there "shouldn't" be much issue at least for me. having cardinal, neon tetra and rummy noes. cherry shrimps, yamatos and otto.

all are fine =)

so i guess dun have to worry too much. if once a while forget to turn off like me "should" be ok =)
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

bro last time i used to keep my co2 on for a few months non stop.. no problem one.
anyway bbpippen, pH don't drop drastically.. therefore, its not lethal to fishes.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
the_r0ck

How much the pH drops should depend on 2 factors. 1 is how much CO2 you are injecting and the other should be your KH level (buffering capability).

If your injection level is not high then your fishes might do well with 24/7 injection. Also, if you have decent KH levels (4 or so) then the water should be able to put in some buffer so that your fishes won't suffer that much.

Ultimately the question comes back to the basics. Why are you injecting 24/7? Why not go for a solenoid if you are really into the hobby? I usually recommend people to either go with CO2 with a proper solenoid or just go CO2-less. Sometimes going without any CO2 is actually a good solution. Less lights and CO2, less headaches.
Old 30-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
bbpippen

different people has different opinions on setting the co2 on for 24/7 and some using solenoid to off during the night period.
While its not in the best interest for me to comment which is the IDEAL, or optimum method, ill prefer using my solenoid, saves co2 (why inject co2 at night when plants cant use it ?).

Of course to each its own =]
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Jon409
Arofanatic

Ultimately the question comes back to the basics. Why are you injecting 24/7? Why not go for a solenoid if you are really into the hobby? I usually recommend people to either go with CO2 with a proper solenoid or just go CO2-less. Sometimes going without any CO2 is actually a good solution. Less lights and CO2, less headaches.[/QUOTE]

hi rock,
i am interested in the Co2 less way ...how to acheive ...less light and co2 way...? light wpg? no co2 at all? thanks regards
Jon409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
elimmel
Senior Dragon

go solenoid if you want stable co2 injection rate as well as save on co2.

some pple with manual solenoid off and on manually causing fluctuations with injection rate. leaving it on 24/7 is ok if injection rate is low and buffer is sufficient. if still scared, put an airpump on a timer to on during lights off times.

Jon - with less light (less than 2wpg), you can go non co2 or low co2 injection.
remember it also depends on the type of plants you have. if you have plants that require high light, then not so good.
idea is to keep co2 level pretty consistant be it non-co2 or low co2. don't pump for a couple of months then stop, then after a few weeks pump again etc. such fluctuations can invite algae (eg BBA) even though low light. good thing is that algae growth is slow too... can manage easier.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Jon409
Arofanatic

Jon - with less light (less than 2wpg), you can go non co2 or low co2 injection.
remember it also depends on the type of plants you have. if you have plants that require high light, then not so good.
idea is to keep co2 level pretty consistant be it non-co2 or low co2. don't pump for a couple of months then stop, then after a few weeks pump again etc. such fluctuations can invite algae (eg BBA) even though low light. good thing is that algae growth is slow too... can manage easier.[/QUOTE]

thanks for advise ...in that case a 3 footer with 2 x36w ok?
so do i still dose fert?
wat about if really on high light demand plants?anyone try co2 less before on this plants? cause with high light ...algae will grow
regards
Jon409 is offline   Reply With Quote