Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #21
Sunfire

Quote:
Heat is not lost through evaporation.
What I mean is that heat is not lost mainly through evaporation when this DIY radiator system is installed.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
VTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessito View Post
2 ft ,just started out doing . not sure to go into planted or shrimps tank.
cannot affort a chiller that is why DIY this cooler.
I guess it is a simple cooling system as i guess most of our concerns are
water top up. Having a low maintenance cost(electrical bill) is another advantage. Thanks...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #23
Exotic_chew
Arofanatic

ah ya... on ur air condition for 24/7 lah.. best solution!
Exotic_chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
elimmel
Senior Dragon

very good attempt

but may i ask this question to those who have relative smaller tanks like 2ft and below.
are you using fans at the moment and find topping up a hassle even thought the fans are very effective in reducing temps at a low cost?

question: is topping up REALLY a hassle?

imho, unless you are upgrading to a chiller, just stick to fans. another solution would be to get an auto-top up system.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #25
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
Let me guess, you bought one of those PCI slot radiator cooler systems? What exactly is it? You got me tempted to try it out.
It's interesting because it tries to cool water without evaporation, which, to me, is very odd. It seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics.
The system is based on heat exchanger and it is based laws of thermodynamics.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #26
armani1234sg
Arofanatic

very cool bro... neat as well...
armani1234sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
mtanec

for a 1 feet tank, a medium size fan running at 4watt can effectively bring the temperature down by 2-4 degrees or even more.. on hot days, the highest temperature I ever recorded is 26.5 and on cold raining days, it can be as low as 24.5 degrees..

running at 24hrs per day, electricity bill is around $0.61 monthly.. as for water, I only need to top up water with 1 medium size tub everyday..
Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #28
mtanec

from my personal experience, I guess when the temperature is higher on hot days, fan will introduce more evaporation thus I was able to attain more than 4 degrees off the ambient temperature.. on rainy days, when ambient temperature is around 26 degrees, the water temperature differences is only around 2 degree as evaporation is not so effective then.. thus I tend to top up more water on hot days and lesser on rainy days.. not sure is this the same for those who are using fan..
Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #29
Sunfire

Defying the laws of thermodynamics as in - making a system cooler than the ambient temperature while minimising evaporation with a fan and a radiator.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #30
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
Defying the laws of thermodynamics as in - making a system cooler than the ambient temperature while minimising evaporation with a fan and a radiator.
You are right with the explanation. It is impossible to achieve a lower temp than the external ambient temp using a pure heat exchanger unless it is in an aircon enivronment. There is also another method by adding on an expansion chamber in the radiator system similar to the aircon system. Heat lost due to sudden expansion. Sounds familiar?