Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #71
Sas
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_wong88 View Post
bro i manage to train mp on my one , but i very bad luck .......during water change i remove the partition answer call from my wife, and continue play game .......forgot to catch him.........than when i remember straight away jump and look for him,,,,,,,it was gone

i think swallowed by my reds

hua there goes $180 for my christmast present

i pengsan on the spot ......................my bad actually

just a bad day......its take mp already somemore i happy like hell......non stop eating

haizzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_wong88 View Post
haiyah bro when i go back indo, i bring u some lar eheheh
Adu kasihan amat! Don't give up man!

Haha bring back 1st then say la!
Sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #72
Spakase

Didn't know you are interested in Goliath!

Anyway, Goliath is fragile when young, it is true that under normal conditions, growth rate is slow. From my own experience Goliath don't take MP, but I guess some may be trained although starving may just kill the fish as they are fragile.
They thrive with lots of oxygen in the tank.

To differentiate a Goliath from a Vittatus, look at the "snout", a Goliath has a distinctive long snout. This is the most accurate way of telling the two short of counting the teeth.

Last Friday, I was at C328, and there was a Goliath in a tank marked "Goliath", next to the tank are a few ATFs that are like Vittatus (definitely not Goliath). So I went to ask Mrs Toh and she confirmed that there is only one Goliath in the shop, but she added a lot will be coming on Saturday. I didn't go back to see, it looks like Mrs Toh knows the diff between Goliath and other ATFs.

Price is 150 for a Goliath. Back in the days when CF was selling Goliath, I got mine at 100 only. Put it down to inflation? Vittatus goes for 70 only.

Here's a pic of my Goliath, watch the snout.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #73
yanki2
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tian ya ren View Post
bro yanki2 how about the uncle can ask him the fish how much there selling
uncle busy, i went int grab 2 bags of feeders and chao. can confirm these are gatf?

c328 better pricing or wu hu better?
yanki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #74
hengyi86

same same, sama sama both selling $150 haha. C328 confirm goliath. got 1 the 1 who had the fatest stomach. 1st day take MP
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #75
fishxotica

I went Wu Hu and c328 but price is a lil steep I got mine way cheaper than the above mentioned
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #76
yanki2
Endangered Dragon

thanks for clarification. i was there today and they look healthy and stable. good to have more of such fishes in town.

Q is can I com just 2 pcs in a tank?
yanki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #77
Spakase

Quote:
I went Wu Hu and c328 but price is a lil steep I got mine way cheaper than the above mentioned
That's good to hear, but do check the snout and make sure the fish is not Vittatus or Forskhali.

From my experience, some lfs sell Vittatus or Forskhali under GATF, either they imported the wrong fish (kenna played out by supplier) or they didn't know what they were selling (took from an importer). There are still such stocks floating around as GATF, do watch out!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #78
Spakase

two piece GATF comm, personally I would not do it. I have seen aggression and these are fragile fish when young. They get better when they are bigger. Neither should GATF be comm with aggressive fish that attacks them because they may not be able to defend themselves when young.
Basically, they can be considered "boring" fishes, they swim up and down and eat fishes that fit into their mouths. They do not beg for food unlike oscars or PBs (like puppy dogs). After a while, hobbyists can get tired of seeing the GATF go up and down the tank or "shake" every few seconds on the spot. That's how it is with these fishes including baracuddas, they look fierce, but they lack the character of cichlids. I like both the fierce looks and the character, heee, so GATF is still on my list of fish to buy.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #79
fishxotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
That's good to hear, but do check the snout and make sure the fish is not Vittatus or Forskhali.

From my experience, some lfs sell Vittatus or Forskhali under GATF, either they imported the wrong fish (kenna played out by supplier) or they didn't know what they were selling (took from an importer). There are still such stocks floating around as GATF, do watch out!
Hi Senior Senior I got mine assured as GATF coz the snout is squarish n not pointed like the VATF
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #80
Spakase

Quote:
Hi Senior Senior I got mine assured as GATF coz the snout is squarish n not pointed like the VATF
If the snout is longish, it should be a Goliath. Squarish, pointed? I don't know that description. Some Vittatus look like GATF, even fool the most experienced guy, when bigger, the difference emerges.
got a pic?
You call me senior senior, but here I am only posting as a fellow hobbyist just to share share. No senior junior here, we all equal.