Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 28-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlk View Post
Hi bro, understand the need to match the tank with the house decor. Hope you will be able to find a second hand one if not run the new tank till the filter is fully loaded with beneficial bacterias before adding the fishes. Enjoy yr hobby.
Tks bro. How long you recommend for the filter to be fully loaded?
Old 29-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
swlk
Arofanatic

Default Fyi

Hi, To speed up the biological filter, you can add beneficial bacterias either in liquid or powder form which you can get from LFS. Using black sponge in the filter system also help to speed up the growth of BB. The nitrogen circle usually take 2 weeks to a month to establish. Test the water with some cheap fish first and slowly increase the GF population. Remember to guarantine all new fishes.
swlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlk View Post
Hi, To speed up the biological filter, you can add beneficial bacterias either in liquid or powder form which you can get from LFS. Using black sponge in the filter system also help to speed up the growth of BB. The nitrogen circle usually take 2 weeks to a month to establish. Test the water with some cheap fish first and slowly increase the GF population. Remember to guarantine all new fishes.
Tks for the advice.
Old 29-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
whtan1
Arofanatic

for people doing cabinet tank, usually it is because of inbuilt sump or/and asethetic reason to flush with the decoration of the house.

so what u are paying is effective a cabinet and tank and a deco item....

ultimately it must be worth yr worth to do this.....
otherwise a simple 3 feet tank is abt S$70 w/o media/pump, u buy lights and a seperate stand, less than 200.

those standard cabinet sold is less than S$500. QIAN HU was selling the entire set after aquarama fairly cheap. u may enquire.

custom made- u pay slightly more of course. but normally it is laminate within the sump and it change colour and peel bec of mositure...and humidity
whtan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtan1 View Post
for people doing cabinet tank, usually it is because of inbuilt sump or/and asethetic reason to flush with the decoration of the house.

so what u are paying is effective a cabinet and tank and a deco item....

ultimately it must be worth yr worth to do this.....
otherwise a simple 3 feet tank is abt S$70 w/o media/pump, u buy lights and a seperate stand, less than 200.

those standard cabinet sold is less than S$500. QIAN HU was selling the entire set after aquarama fairly cheap. u may enquire.

custom made- u pay slightly more of course. but normally it is laminate within the sump and it change colour and peel bec of mositure...and humidity
Tks bro ... I went for the custom-made tank. Need tt becos of the space requirements.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
goalkeeper

bro, good to see more gf kakis! In my opinion 6 in 3ft tank is a stretch considering growth of the fish. for six, think at least a 4 ft but sounds like you have space constraint. alternatively consider smaller quantity first and see how it goes before adding, especially if you are starting a new tank which needs time to mature. on wc, I don't age the water and so far no problem since wc not 100%. the quote sounds reasonable based on my first custom made tank....but also depends on what you get. example cost will be higher if eheim pump vs other brands. good luck with your new hobby.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalkeeper View Post
bro, good to see more gf kakis! In my opinion 6 in 3ft tank is a stretch considering growth of the fish. for six, think at least a 4 ft but sounds like you have space constraint. alternatively consider smaller quantity first and see how it goes before adding, especially if you are starting a new tank which needs time to mature. on wc, I don't age the water and so far no problem since wc not 100%. the quote sounds reasonable based on my first custom made tank....but also depends on what you get. example cost will be higher if eheim pump vs other brands. good luck with your new hobby.
Bro, tks for the advice .... I shall stick to 4gf for a start. Sometime when u see nice gf ard the heart over rule the mind ... hahahaha! I'm happy with the quote. My custom made tank is 36"(L)x24"(W)x28"(H) ... the sump tank I got the tank maker to stretch to maximum width of the cabinet. Including media n normal pump ... all in at $1.1k including delivery n installation.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
cwoon

I need some advice from Bros here.

My new tank has arrived. Am now filling the water and have used the old tank water to the new tank.

My question is how often should I do water change with my new tank that has got a sump tank system?

Wat percentage of the water change should I go for?

The capacity of the new tank is around 350 litre.

Cheers
Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
goalkeeper

I guess that's the weakness for most of us : cannot tahan when see nice fish. I am guilty of this for a long time.....to the extent I give away or sell at a huge loss and buy news ones. But now I'm very selective....rather for quality than quantity. Also minmize disease due to poor water quality. Good luck with your tank and eager to see the tank when done.....do show us some pics!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
goalkeeper

For me, I change twice a week. 30%-50% change even though I'm using sump system too. I used to change only once a week initially but realize fish could be more prone to disease. I've been doing two water changes for months and touch wood....no problems with the fish so far. Got to add I feed quite heavily. Will take a while for your tank to be cycled so suggest light feeding in first few weeks to prvent water foul. Good luck.