Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 27-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
cwoon

Default New Tank advice

Dear Bro n Sis

Am new here!

Recently got interested in Thai Calico Oranda. Bot 2 ard 2-3 inches.

Am interested to get 4 more to make it 6.

Now planning a new tank.

I only have max 3ft for the tank Length. I was thinking the width at 20" and height at 28" so that the water volume is high enough to accomodate 6 Oranda when they eventually grow big.

Any comments on whether the tank size can fit in 6 orandas in the long run?

Am oso thinking if I shd go for sump tank setup.

For the above setup I got a quote from a tank maker who quoted me with tank (10mm thickness) + cabinet + pump + media with delivery all in at $1180nett. Is the price reasonable?

Appreciate some advice!

Tks for your time!
Old 27-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoon View Post
Dear Bro n Sis

Am new here!

Recently got interested in Thai Calico Oranda. Bot 2 ard 2-3 inches.

Am interested to get 4 more to make it 6.

Now planning a new tank.

I only have max 3ft for the tank Length. I was thinking the width at 20" and height at 28" so that the water volume is high enough to accomodate 6 Oranda when they eventually grow big.

Any comments on whether the tank size can fit in 6 orandas in the long run?

Am oso thinking if I shd go for sump tank setup.

For the above setup I got a quote from a tank maker who quoted me with tank (10mm thickness) + cabinet + pump + media with delivery all in at $1180nett. Is the price reasonable?

Appreciate some advice!

Tks for your time!
more water change is needed if you want to keep 6 pcs and want them to have a better place to live and grow in.
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish&koi View Post
more water change is needed if you want to keep 6 pcs and want them to have a better place to live and grow in.
With a sump tank am prepared to do alternate day 20% wc .... is that enough?

Am bro can comment on the quotation given by the tank maker? Will need to quickly make a decision to make the tank cos the itch is getting stronger.

It will take a few more weeks even after getting the tank to enjoy the fish swimming inside.
Old 28-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Enough water change or not have to see how much u feed and how much ur fish poo.
As for the price for the tank I dun know as I Nv custom make a tank set b4. But I think is all up to ur budget an also after seeing the simple pic of the tank set u going to do, do u like it?
Old 28-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
cwoon

Quote:
Enough water change or not have to see how much u feed and how much ur fish poo.
As for the price for the tank I dun know as I Nv custom make a tank set b4. But I think is all up to ur budget an also after seeing the simple pic of the tank set u going to do, do u like it?
Noted on the WC.

I guess becos of the kinda dimension I wanted for the tank, the cost is managable.

Just read thru 34 pages to find out more abt setup and problem pple faced in keep GF. Have learnt alot but I guess will encounter some of the problems.

I'm jus concerned abt the WC directly from tap. Even with anti-chlorine am not sure how far it will harm our fishes.

Cant imagine keeping tubs to aged the water cos I stay in a small 2 bedroom apartment. definitely not enough space for the tubs. I read somewhere some bros using carbon filter to filter the water from tab before the water gets into the tank. Not sure how effective it is.

If I were to setup a new tank and by using a used wool from a canister will it be sufficient to introduce fish into the tank immediatly?
Old 28-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
goldfish&koi
Dragon

No matter what filter u use new tank needs a good wash and cycle. For goldfish I dun think canister filter is good.
Old 28-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
swlk
Arofanatic

Default Old is better

Hi, wonder will you consider second hand tank as they are established and cheaper. No new tank syndrome. Search in the forum for some bro who post to sell and some of the tanks condition are not bad. To me sump tank system is ideal as the water volume is higher and easier to maintain. Just my 2 cents input.
swlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
cwoon

Quote:
No matter what filter u use new tank needs a good wash and cycle. For goldfish I dun think canister filter is good.
Hahaha ... ya canister definitely not for the new 3ft tank. My current 1.5ft tank is using cannister filter. But wat I'm trying to say is that I get the "used wool" from the cannister filter and put it inside the new sump tank to introduce bacteria into the new tank, will tt be sufficient?
Old 28-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
cwoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlk View Post
Hi, wonder will you consider second hand tank as they are established and cheaper. No new tank syndrome. Search in the forum for some bro who post to sell and some of the tanks condition are not bad. To me sump tank system is ideal as the water volume is higher and easier to maintain. Just my 2 cents input.
Tks Swlk. I have look at the forum but it seems no one is letting go a 3ft tank with cabinet. Well the new tank oso to "convince" my OC that the new tank will not "ruin" the house deco. Alot of consideration on bringing hobby to home. I'm sure some bros here have experience this.
Old 28-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
swlk
Arofanatic

Default Yup

Hi bro, understand the need to match the tank with the house decor. Hope you will be able to find a second hand one if not run the new tank till the filter is fully loaded with beneficial bacterias before adding the fishes. Enjoy yr hobby.
swlk is offline   Reply With Quote