Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
lweegp

Default newbie question on aro

hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in aro-keeping and I have some questions which hope e experts here can give me some insights.

previously I hv commed 2 aro abt 6in each but with divider in between them. recently I intro another one (slghtly bigger) in n I take away e divider. all seem well (I observed them for a few hours). next day I realised e tailfin of one aro was bitten off n e other one showed signs of being "terrorized" too.

how I can prevent this from happening again? quite heart pain to see broken finnage n stressed aro. also what's e purpose to comm other fishes together with aro? any reason or just to make it nicer? last nite I comm my 3 tigers together with my 3 aro n it seems much better.

any advise will be appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
tenchu
Arofanatic

Comming needs a heart of steel. I had a 2pc com for 5 years.....
Endure tho. But must check if the fights r too intense introduce the divider again.
Just my two cents view
Cheers
Good luck!!
tenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
harrysoo
Dragon

Imho, success rate of 2 pc comm is rare. Introducing tankmates only can distract these fellas awhile, after that fights resume.
TS, you may try adding wavemaker or if possible intro more aros. But by doing so, may not 100% stop the fight too.
harrysoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
lweegp

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysoo View Post
Imho, success rate of 2 pc comm is rare. Introducing tankmates only can distract these fellas awhile, after that fights resume.
TS, you may try adding wavemaker or if possible intro more aros. But by doing so, may not 100% stop the fight too.
bro harry does that means having 3 pieces in the same comm will make it worst?

I have 3 aro right now doesn't want to see any casualty resulted...if this is not visible then I might have to intro the divider again...
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Aro77
Dragon

the more this fish in the comm the less the fight is as they have less space......
at that size its easy to buy aro that already comm from young so wont fight....
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
lweegp

hi bro aro77,

I have tried to comm them from young but sad to say only one survived...these 3 I bought them separately except for the latest addition from the lfs which already >6in when I buy him.

so it's to intro more aro into the comm? mine currently is a 3ft tank so if I intro more will be over congested?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Aro77
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lweegp View Post
hi bro aro77,

I have tried to comm them from young but sad to say only one survived...these 3 I bought them separately except for the latest addition from the lfs which already >6in when I buy him.

so it's to intro more aro into the comm? mine currently is a 3ft tank so if I intro more will be over congested?
hey bro actually u should be looking for comm aro when they already 6-7 inch i think at mainland saw some nice ones that day already commed but if u dun wan u can juz throw some other fish inside like those cheap cheap 4-5 inch which u can find at lfs
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
harrysoo
Dragon

Quote:
bro harry does that means having 3 pieces in the same comm will make it worst?

I have 3 aro right now doesn't want to see any casualty resulted...if this is not visible then I might have to intro the divider again...
Bro, having 3 pc comm may or may not make it worst, nvr try nvr know.
I've tried from 2 pc to 7 pc comm b4, all failed. But that doesn't means that all comm will fail, there are many many successful comm. I believed Luck aso play a part on it
harrysoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
lweegp

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysoo View Post
Bro, having 3 pc comm may or may not make it worst, nvr try nvr know.
I've tried from 2 pc to 7 pc comm b4, all failed. But that doesn't means that all comm will fail, there are many many successful comm. I believed Luck aso play a part on it
thanks bro harry. will introducing a silver aro helps? the lfs owner recommend me to intro one silver aro...
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
thanks bro harry. will introducing a silver aro helps? the lfs owner recommend me to intro one silver aro...
Yes and no. Depending on how aggressive or passive that silver is. I have seen silver more aggressive than asia arowana when intro into the com of asia arowana. Ended up all the asia arowana are terrorized by that newly intro silver.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote