Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #501
Aro77
Dragon

RIP , Sorry for your loss. looked quite sumo like
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #502
murphys33
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
Clarity tower is a commercial foam fractionator. The link I supplied earlier is how you can DIY one for about $150-200. I need to build one soon for my own pond. Got most parts except the bio balls.
You may be better off buying a second hand protein skimmer used for reef tanks - there is someone who used it for freshwater - search in youtube.
Alternatively, you may want to try ocean free hydra stream. I have been talking to qianhu staff and they advised that the hydra stream can break down DOC
murphys33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #503
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
RIP , Sorry for your loss. looked quite sumo like
Thanks bro... she is sumo to me

I just notice all my pictures didnt show up anymore... disappointed with photobucket
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #504
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Thanks bro... she is sumo to me

I just notice all my pictures didnt show up anymore... disappointed with photobucket
Time to switch to imgur bro.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #505
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphys33 View Post
You may be better off buying a second hand protein skimmer used for reef tanks - there is someone who used it for freshwater - search in youtube.
Alternatively, you may want to try ocean free hydra stream. I have been talking to qianhu staff and they advised that the hydra stream can break down DOC
Yeah looking at a v6. It's a bit ugly tho lol. Not have a lot of space in the garden.
Old 24-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #506
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Bro did you ever manage to deal with the nitrate problems? I have been doing some research into anoxic filtration using biocenosis baskets. Turns out the raw materials can be purchased locally.

Interested in giving this a go?
Old 28-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #507
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
Bro did you ever manage to deal with the nitrate problems? I have been doing some research into anoxic filtration using biocenosis baskets. Turns out the raw materials can be purchased locally.

Interested in giving this a go?
Didnt test nitrate for a long long time as it always give me that red red result. Guess it is hard for me to solve this nitrate problem...

What is biocenosis baskets? Have u tried it out? Any pic or info? How is the nitrate in your pond?

Cheers!
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #508
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Haha the nitrate in my pond also red red. 40-60ppm by the looks of it. Now looking for means to make good this for the next pond. With 70+ tons, water change cannot be done efficiently.

I heard from koiphen folk that biocenosis basket properly applied can bring nitrates down to 10-20ppm easily.

Here is the site to read up on if you are interested.
http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html

I am planning to set up a trial soon to see if there is measurable effect.

1 basket in a rectangular bin into which I was pass through a small amount of pond water. If there is a significant delta in nitrate levels when comparing ingress and egress water, I will know the basket is working. In another basket, I will try 2-3 cermedia 8x8x4 cubes.

The trial might need a few months tho. The type of bacteria in biocenosis baskets take a long time to mature. I think it will cost about S$50-$60 a basket based on the price of the type of cat litter I need to buy to make it.
Old 28-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #509
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

btw I decided not to go with the Hydrastream. It doesn't really do anything my shower doesn't do already.
Old 28-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #510
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Good news! There is a local distributor for oil dri premium absorbent - which is the same material as the kitty litter that is so hard to find. Even better, it isn't treated with deodorants like the kitty litter.

One bag of 50lb is under $30. I think that will make 2 biocenosis baskets easily. I am now looking for the laterite which is needed for the basket's core. That will be a bit pricier, though there are alternatives available.