Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 27-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Limsteel
Arofanatic

Default 1½ft office (Planning Stage)

Start up a 1½ft nano tank for my office SOON. I will put more attention on the filteraton... I intended to outfit it with 3 Hangon filter... ASSUMING the 3 should fit nicely to the back of the tank.

1. HangOnBack filter attached with small PL light (using it as a Refugium, NO3 export)
2. Atman HangOnBack filter with surface skimming attachment. (Filled with Rowa, P removal)
3. Jebo or Jebao HangOnBack filter with Protein Skimmer function. (organic waste removal)
4. few small powerhead for circulation.

Anyone tried ITEM 3 before? (can't seems to find anything on jebo or jebao) any reviews?

SCAPE: Aragonite Sand, Rocks, later Mushrooms, Hammer, buttons, Star Polys,.

Lighting: 2 x 24W PL (1xwhite, 1xblue or 2x10000K)

LS: Clowns, gobies, shrimp (Blood & Cleaner)

Salt: RedSea or Corallife

Anyone got anymore suggestions?
Limsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
KaLiB

Quote:
1. HangOnBack filter attached with small PL light (using it as a Refugium, NO3 export)
As for using a hang-on filter for a refugium, i'm not quite sure if its going to be of much use due to the limited space. This is especially so when you intend to fit 3 hang-on filters(assuming all 3 fit nicely) at the back of the tank. This gives only 0.5ft(15cm) of space per filter so there would not be much space for the refugium.

Of course, this idea would work, just that the refugium may not be big enough for the setup so you may want to skip this. I'll leave it up to you to make the final decision.

Quote:
2. Atman HangOnBack filter with surface skimming attachment. (Filled with Rowa, P removal)
Any filter media besides Rowa to break down the organics that are skimmed from the surface skimmer? It should help to have some media in there.

Quote:
For salt, don't know about you or the others, but my vote goes to coralife. Its more soluble than Redsea salt. Have used both brands before, so far only complain is that Redsea is less soluble(always have residue).

Quote:
You have planned the filtration out quite well. I feel that you can do away with the refugium idea and use only the other 2 hang-on filters. Its good to see that you are doing some planning before starting on your project.

Just my thoughts on the things that you have brought up.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
dravan
Arofanatic

why not trade one of the hang on back for a prizm skimmer... the skimming capability will be better... nutrient export is important for a small tank... more important than anything else when compared with a tank with larger capacity. Note that salinity will fluctuate as a small tank with lesser water volume with high evaporation rate due to the lights will cause a swing in the salinity... better get a top up device or look at other ways to maintain the water level as constant as you can.
dravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
dUbBY
Arofanatic

hi, i'm also currently running a 1 1/2 ft tank currently. its been running for about 6 months now and its been going fine. i have done up only nano tanks so far due to a budget constraint. Haha...i even tried making a small sump for my 1.5 ft tank but that didn't work out... Well there are some suggestions i can give:

1. Be prepared for your nano tank to look very cramped and crowded as u are going to be hanging alot of stuff on it.

2. u HAVE to use a cooling fan. especially if u are going to have a FEW small power heads for circulation. For me i think the water circulation produced by my hang on filter is enough already. I'm also using the atman filter. i'm using the larger one which is approx. 8 inches wide. (It barely fits the side of my tank but i managed to get it in) So i guess the filter current can be quite strong. my tank w/o the fan has an average tem of 29degreeC. It can even go up to 30 sometimes. If u're going to have powerheads in your tank the temp's going to go past 30 man! But with my diy fan, the temperature stays at 26C and even goes down to 25 sometimes.

3. And yes, the atman filter's surface skimmer? It irritated the hell out of me.
since i'm using a fan and my tank's small, the water level grops very fast, i have to top the water up everyday (sometimes my mom helps me out. Its simple actually... I have a pail of aged water near my tank so i just scoop and add everyday. I'm gonna look at my tank everyday anw rite?). And sO... when i top it up too high, the water will not overflow into the damn thing. It has to be just rite. Like really precise! So...i ended up adjusting the thing whenever i felt like the surface needed a skim! LOL other than that i'll just push it down so that there won't be any air bubbles sucked up into the filter.

4. The hangon filter u intend to use as a sump will kinda work out. But only to a small extent. why do i say so? my hang on's rather large. i took out whatever the filter had in it (the activated carbon slot thing??? and the rectangular piece which has lotsa things sticking out) so its got even more space. I filled it up 3/4 with ceramic rings, bio home and some sand from my tank. the small space left on top i put some small pieces of live rock in...after awhile i could see some small critters running over the small live rock in my hang on. I left the cover off my filter for the light to get in. Then again the space in the hang on filter is rather small and if the flowrate is too strong then it won't be much of a help.

So far, through my experience, the only things u can really keep in such a small tank are clowns and damselfish. And some shrimps. I've been keeping boxer shrimps and i find them to be very hardy and aggressive! It ate my small cute spiny blue lobster! I stirr up the sand in the tank ocassionally so stuff won't get clogged up. DON'T try to get any small angels, butterflyfish or dragonites or blennies to keep or any other fish other than what i mentioned above. Cuz u'll just kill them. Such a small tank has absolutely no means to ensure their survival. Gobies i'm not sure, but i don't think they'll survive.

Have fun with your tank!
dUbBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
dUbBY
Arofanatic

oh...FYI the tank in my gallery is my previous 1FT tank so don't take any reference to that...it doesn't look anything close to what i have now...
dUbBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #6
mashmallow

Bro think you really need a skimmer and last thing why not a T5 light instead....
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #7
mashmallow

Default Bro think you really need a skimmer and last thing why not a T5 light instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limsteel View Post
Start up a 1½ft nano tank for my office SOON. I will put more attention on the filteraton... I intended to outfit it with 3 Hangon filter... ASSUMING the 3 should fit nicely to the back of the tank.

3. Jebo or Jebao HangOnBack filter with Protein Skimmer function. (organic waste removal)

Anyone tried ITEM 3 before? (can't seems to find anything on jebo or jebao) any reviews?

SCAPE: Aragonite Sand, Rocks, later Mushrooms, Hammer, buttons, Star Polys,.

Lighting: 2 x 24W PL (1xwhite, 1xblue or 2x10000K)

LS: Clowns, gobies, shrimp (Blood & Cleaner)

Bro think you really need a skimmer and last thing why not a T5 light instead....
Old 12-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
Sherman_Wong

Default some abits of advice...hopes it helps!!

Hello bro welcome to this world of marine hobby....

Seriouly I think the Refugium that you had planned out is still to small to treat the waste output from the main tank..... My ideal for a nano tank is to have small and neat display in the front and some lean and mean equipments behind...like this bugger
http://www.aqua-medic.de/en/service/...20_410.74_.pdf
with this piece of equipment in your list you can say bye bye to no3 forever.

Dont forget about Carbon also

Should post a product review in the forum to ask the bro on wat are their view with regards on this equipment.

For this I really need to ask you one question....have you though of how to bring the water temp down with all this equipment running at one go...one more thing I think you should change your PL light to T5 less heat to the water plus light spec can go deeper....

Have alot of fun reefing....