Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
ostrava

Hmmm i have a question abt UVC filteration, is it ok to use in a marine reef setup?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #12
KaLiB

You definitely can use UV filtration in a marine reef tank.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
Sunburst

Mine is running 24x7 ....
Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Fei Yi

Default UVC filteration ??

UVC filteration ??
UV Filters are able to kill the majority of bacteria and viruses ??

hmm if use bio home as well will kill good bacteria?
actually i dont know about UVC filteration. then went to google to find out what is it haha.

which layer should we put UVC filteration ??
but actually i still dont know how UVC filteration can be used or purchase
Old 01-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
KaLiB

UVC filtration is not a physical filter media like biohome, wool. It is the process of running water through a casing with bulb emitting UV rays. The bulb is enclosed in this casing. This filters water by killing anything(good and bad) in the water that passes through the case. It does not physically remove or breakdown anything, it merely kills stuff in the water. Its more for supplementing the overall filtration system. IMO, this piece of equipment is optional.

Care must be taken not to expose yourself to the bulb when it is switched on as UV is harmful to us as well. Normally, the UV sterilizer is connected after the filter media in the sump.

An example of UV filtration would be the Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer.

Biohome would not kill the good bacteria, the design of the media is to encourage the good bacteria(both the nitrifying and dentrifying bacteria) to grow in it.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
Fei Yi

hmm ic ic . . . well kill both good and bad bacterial . . . then i think not very good to use liao for me.

as at times u need some good bacterial in tank
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
davidw
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Yi View Post

thankyou for all the suggestion.
Some of the tank set up is suggested by a aunt at china town level 2.

Tank:
=====================
my Tank size will be using black tinted glass
Pls note that I'm only recommending tinted glass for the internal overflow sump (IOS) divider and not the entire tank, as bro Kalib correctly opined that tinted tank will ruin fish & corals colors. Whether the IOS is located at the side or back portion of the tank, the tinted glass is meant to shield the unsightly filter wool, biomedia, return pump etc. Eventho a major portion of the IOS can be blocked using liverocks, you can still see through to the sump, thus a lot of prefab nano tanks use either black/blue opague plastic as the IOS divider. Most tank makers would also recommend tinted glass for IOS and since it is submerged (both sides) and need to be applied with silicon, not practicable to use blue or other (oyama paper).....
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
davidw
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Yi View Post
hmm ic ic . . . well kill both good and bad bacterial . . . then i think not very good to use liao for me.

as at times u need some good bacterial in tank
if you place the UV filter after the filtermedia/biohome compartment in the sump, it would not kill all the beneficial bacteria which has already colonised the biohome..... and u need not switch it on 24/7... anyway UV is more of an optional item....

a good filtermedia is more important ..... use biohome instead of ceramics rings for reasons mentioned by bro Kalib....
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
Fei Yi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw View Post
Pls note that I'm only recommending tinted glass for the internal overflow sump (IOS) divider and not the entire tank, as bro Kalib correctly opined that tinted tank will ruin fish & corals colors. Whether ..................
opague plastic as the IOS divider. Most tank makers would also recommend tinted glass for IOS and since it is submerged (both sides) and need to be applied with silicon, not practicable to use blue or other (oyama paper).....
hihi thanks for the highlight is ok. well actually i dont know what is different between tinted glass or ? but the glass i saw is not totally bright clear glass but it looks nice as i saw a sample. hmm i thought its call tinted glass. . . nvm this week end go some tank shop to see see and find out more.

and tank shop to recommand?

the IOS part is cover with blue plastic or i think got blue some thing stick on glass ( i dont know what is it call ). but i saw a sample looks still not bad.

heehee thanks for the information provided.i still got many thing to find out.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #20
KaLiB

The typical glass used for aquarium(be it fresh or saltwater) would have a slight tint of green. Usually, for thinner glass(12mm or less), should not be much of an issue unless your very particular. From what i know, there are two possible alternatives to this, either using expensive starphire glass or opt for an acrylic tank. Acrylic is significantly clearer than glass but very prone to being scratched. Depending on how deep, the scratch may end up being permanent. There are also other issues like light placement, hot metal hallide bulbs can have a negative effect on the acrylic due to the heat.

The blue thing that you mentioned, that is stuck to the glass, is most likely oyama paper. It would be good to either use an opaque piece of plastic or tinted glass to keep the IOS compartment out of sight.

If you live at the East, you can check out the pasir ris fishfarms. They have quite a number of tank sets(you can even look at their display tanks for ideas) on display at the fishfarms there, you can have a look and get ideas on how you want your setup to look like. For saltwater setups, its best to have the tank custom-built as most ready made tank sets are for freshwater use. The glass thickness for these tanks are too thin to be safe for use in saltwater as it places more pressure on the glass than freshwater.