Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 10-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #31
KaLiB

Denitrators are not necessary, IMO. Its more of a supplemental piece of equipment, i personally do not use one. Its just to help remove nitrates from the water. There are other methods like macroalgae refugium, DSB, Plenums, liverocks that remove nitrates from the water.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #32
Fei Yi

oic ok ok
thats the case i use liverocks will do
Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #33
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Denitrators are not necessary, IMO. Its more of a supplemental piece of equipment, i personally do not use one. Its just to help remove nitrates from the water. There are other methods like macroalgae refugium, DSB, Plenums, liverocks that remove nitrates from the water.
I coem across this thing call chaetos(hope spelling is rite), heard its use to soak up nutrients, is it inclusive of nitrates?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #34
KaLiB

Yup, you got it right, chaetos, forgot to mention that. Its quite commonly used to do nutrient export. Its a type of macroalgae that absorbs nutrients including nitrates. You need to harvest it regularly though.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #35
Fei Yi

hi hi ,

i notice it from some discussion that chaetos often any how grow. then will be a big trouble if it grow all over the tank

althought i never saw it b4. from what i have google i found this picture

http://192.211.16.13/h/haddocks/pict...haeto.crop.gif

well it looks horrible is this how it looks?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #36
KaLiB

Chaeto looks like this:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...357/chaeto.jpg

Its 1 big ball of green stuff that needs to be harvested regularly but it would need to be kept under light. What i've seen people do is either keep it in the sump or in a modified hang-on filter to prevent it from overgrowing into the main tank.
Old 13-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
Fei Yi

hahahaaa

ic ic
woooo
very different from my picture errr
realise i have very little knowlegde of marine stuff hahaa
thanks
Old 13-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #38
jasvinlee
Arofanatic

bro kalib do you know where can we obtain the chaetos? are they purchased like aquatic plants?
jasvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #39
KaLiB

Well, your picture may not be wrong either, could have been a close up pic of the chaeto. Don't worry, if you continue reading up, you'll certainly know more in time.

jasvinlee: LFS may sell chaeto but i believe most of the time their traded amongst hobbyists. So far, i don't remember seeing any LFS selling it.
Old 14-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #40
alcohologist

have only seen chaeto in a store once, many months ago, irwana had a small clump for around 5 bucks each. i bought mine from a hobbyist, but it doesnt seem to be growing, if not i'd prune and give away the excess.