Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
superFishy

Default 1ft marine tank

Hey!

tinking to setup a small marine tank. a ocean free 1ft tank.

not going into anything fancy. jus wan a plain tank with maybe 1-2 nemo or sumting. not too much rock/coral...

any suggestion on how i should start? heard that i can jus put sand in then add the saltwater bought from LFS then start the HOF running then can dump fish in liao sounds......alittle......tooo......simple....right ? haahhahaah

mainly the questions i can tink of so far are"

1. live sand for my tank need how much?
2. for the HOF what media to use? same like FW use cr and wool can?
3. what ornament to put in? as in rock or coral, intend to keep nemo and maybeeeeeeeeeeee one butterfly...can? haha
4. feed them what?
5. topping up of water...how it goes?

have been reading up....but ohmygod....very cheem ....LOL!

thanks for your help in advance
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
xaine
Dragon

Hi,

What you should be doing is to acquire some of the essential items
- Live rocks
- Some filter of sort
- Skimmer (preferably a small HOB skimmer)
- hydrometer
- testkits (ammonia, nitrate, as for calcium, phosphate those would be needed if you have corals)

Live rocks are very good bio-media as they can be colonies for your beneficial bacteria. As for sand, it is pretty optional for a 1ft tank, though good to have.

If you intend to keep clownfish, I would suggest getting the False Percula (A. ocellaris), they are not as aggressive as the True Percula (A. percula). And 1 pair is all you should have. As for tank mates, maybe a small goby would do good (provided you have sand)

Feeding is pretty simple, once they are comfy, they eat almost anything (frozen krill, brineshrimp, bloodworm, flakes....etc), so not to worry on that.

For water topping up, since your is a small tank, just get those distilled water from the supermarket will do. But I would advice to perform water changes as small tanks usually does not have enough equipment to remove nitrates well enough. You can purchase NSW (natural sea water) from LFSs for that purpose.

Can't think of more for now, need some triggering...
xaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
fisbike
Arofanatic

I saw those luminous fake corals, like quite nice, if your set up is only fish. But not sure whether can put in marine tanks, please check first.
For fish only setup, I think can put copper so that fishes will not die easily but the tank forever cannot put live corals anymore.
fisbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
KaLiB

You would need to cycle the tank first before adding any livestock. Basically setup the tank, add in the sand, saltwater and liverocks. If there are alot of die-offs in the liverock, you can skip putting the market prawn(though no harm putting in a small piece) and let the tank run on its own for at least 4weeks to let the beneficial bacteria establish themselves in the aquarium.

I'll try to answer the questions:
1) You should need only around 10-15kg of sand to get a 2"-3" sandbed depending on the dimensions of the tank. Unless your getting sand from an existing mature tank, I would suggest just getting coral sand(grade c0 or c1). The livesand(sold in a packet at LFS) are not really value for money IMO.
2) You can use wool but I would suggest against using CR. You can use media like broken pieces of liverock(not coral chips) or biohome.
3) The butterfly is not possible for such a small tank but the nemo(false percula clownfish) would do fine in such a small tank. I would suggest getting liverocks from LFS to put into the tank. They provide shelter, food and filtration. Around 5kg should be sufficient.
4) For clownfish, you can feed them a wide variety of foods: Pellet(for marine fish), mysis shrimp, market prawn etc..
5) If your sticking to fish & soft corals, you can use conditioned(make sure the water conditioner is for marine aquaria use) tapwater to top-up the evaporation.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
alcohologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superFishy View Post
Hey!

tinking to setup a small marine tank. a ocean free 1ft tank.

not going into anything fancy. jus wan a plain tank with maybe 1-2 nemo or sumting. not too much rock/coral...

any suggestion on how i should start? heard that i can jus put sand in then add the saltwater bought from LFS then start the HOF running then can dump fish in liao sounds......alittle......tooo......simple....right ? haahhahaah
yes, the tank still needs to be put through a short cycle.
actually, for such a small tank, usually the way to go is less complicated equipment, more waterchanges.

mainly the questions i can tink of so far are"

1. live sand for my tank need how much?
what are the dimensions of your tank? it really depends on how deep a sand bed you want anyway.
2. for the HOF what media to use? same like FW use cr and wool can?
live rock rubble will be best. you can probably buy just one piece and break it up yourself.
3. what ornament to put in? as in rock or coral, intend to keep nemo and maybeeeeeeeeeeee one butterfly...can? haha
some live rock will be very good, as it will provide shelter and biofiltration for your fish. the butterfly will not work in the tank. personally i would not put even a clownfish in such a small tank. could we get the exact dimensions please?
4. feed them what?
depending on what fish you choose, there is a wide range of prepared marine fishfoods on the market. pellets, frozen cubes of xxx, algae sheets, etc
5. topping up of water...how it goes?
conditioned freshwater from the tap will be fine. if you want to go the extra mile, distilled or RO water can be used also.

have been reading up....but ohmygod....very cheem ....LOL!
it's good to know all the ins and outs of marine aquaria, but you dont need as much "cheem" stuff in the smaller, simpler tanks
thanks for your help in advance
my input in red