Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 13-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
whiteice

Default To All Seahorse Lovers

Dear all,

I'm interested in starting a 2ft cube seahorse tank. Although I have been in touch with marine tanks, it's my first time dealing with seahorses so all input is much appreciated.

Can seahorses be kept with other fish and shrimp like cleaner/fire shrimps and anteas and chromies? Was thinking it would look kind of bare if the seahorses were alone. Any special vegetation that seahorses need to survive?

Also, do you need a skimmer if there are no corals in the tank?

Thanks
Old 13-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
optimus prime

best kept seahorse only tank. seahorse are not like kranji horse. they are super slow.so feeding is a problem if mixe with others(unless they are super slow too)
Old 13-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
IKI

Any idea sg where got sell seahorse?
Old 13-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
KaLiB

Quote:
Can seahorses be kept with other fish and shrimp like cleaner/fire shrimps and anteas and chromies? Was thinking it would look kind of bare if the seahorses were alone.
Its best to keep seahorses alone as they are very slow in movement like what bro optimus has mentioned. Reason being, before they can reach their food, faster moving livestock like fish would have eaten the food and in the long run the seahorse would be deprived of food and die of hunger.

Quote:
Also, do you need a skimmer if there are no corals in the tank?
Nope, though it would be good to have one if budget allows. A skimmer would help improve overall water quality.
Old 31-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #5
Terryz_

Seahorse requires a tall tank for them to swim as they swim vertically more than horizontally...
As for the equipments, a skimmer, proper filtration is a must... Chiller is optional if you can keep the water under 28C...
As for lighting a normal FL will suffice...

You can try getting some Tonga Rock for them to hang on to... Or buy those red bamboo for them... although the red bamboo will die off quite fast..

They are not easy to feed also... It is best you get CB specimen before you try WC ones... CB are of course more ex than WC... And be sure to FW dip them before addin them into your tank... Will prevent transferring of parasite from the new SH to the old SH...

Reborn will have WC and CB SH from time to time... Not very often... They recently have a shipment of WC H.comes and H. Kudas...

My 2 ct worth..
HTH
Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
mansiz

You can get thin plastic rod that have two popper at both ends also. They can hang on to that. But of course, if you want it to look natural, then its better to get other kind of stuff like coco tube worm, branch rocks etc.
Old 15-11-2005, 04:06 AM   #7
zhenming86
Dragon

i feed my seahorse wif small ghost shrimps..i learn tis from scv channel 12 LOL,they document their eating behaviour and put ghost shrimps running all over and they happily eat all
zhenming86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenming86
i feed my seahorse wif small ghost shrimps..i learn tis from scv channel 12 LOL,they document their eating behaviour and put ghost shrimps running all over and they happily eat all
wow, must be super small shrimps to fit into the seahorses' tiny mouths
Old 15-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
mansiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenming86
But shrimps are rather fast swimmers, no matter they are fresh or salt water shrimps, they are quite fast. Any idea how they are able to catch them? My anthias sometimes can't catch the shrimps I threw in.
Old 16-11-2005, 02:05 AM   #10
Terryz_

You need the Seahorse to be in small tank when training them to eat before adding them to the maintank.. If your main tank is small enough den nevermind... They will be able to catch it... They will stalk it first and snick, the shrimp is gone...