Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 14-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
af2373

Can't remember the name of the plant in yr last pic. That is a fast grower, leave it floated oso can. Shld combat the initial algae problem which u mentioned. Else can consider to get more of it
Old 15-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
patson77

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
Can't remember the name of the plant in yr last pic. That is a fast grower, leave it floated oso can. Shld combat the initial algae problem which u mentioned. Else can consider to get more of it
yayayay... tats what the uncle at c328 say oso. algae will always be the worst enemy for aqua lovers.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
patson77

Default Updates

Still feeling stupid of not getting the soil to fill up the remaining part of the tank. Arrrrgh, what the fish, decided to go and get anyway.

Came back ard 1830 and started to do up my tank. Initially, wanted to de-strand the HC from the main patch and plant it like everyone does. Wah seh, taking off them oso very challenging. In the end, decided to cut them up into smaller pieces and plant it(based on what my fren say, they still grow)

Well, the followings(pardon for the milky water) are the much more or less completed layout and today marks DAY 1 for my tank undergoing cycling.

Full tank shot

the rocks forming the bolder are push in deeper so as to enlarge the size of the main rock

some of the HC not press deep enuf, a couple looks like going to float anytime. will rectify thrm tml.

the don't knw wat plants behind. (used to soak up extra nutrients and to cover the pipping.

the US fissiden I got from a fellow forumer.

My tiger (to hide the pipping oso when it grows larger)

My star moss

Currently set timer for lights to be at 8hrs (fm 6 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon). Since no fishes in it, CO2 dosage increase to abt 4 bps. The 4 sides of the tank are covered with cardboards throughout(think will cover for ard 6-8weeks to prevent any unwanted lights)

Now all can do is wait.....................
Wait for the tank to finish cycling
Wait for the plants to mature.

Welcome any comments and advice so that can further improve my tank. Thanks in advance.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #14
zonkkie
Dragon

Looks promising! But HC I tried both from filter sponge and rock wool before. Really better not to use those from filter sponge because:

1) High likelihood to contain unwanted pests.
2) Very hard to plant deep deep... so sure float. Now don't float, next time when it grows thick will float.
zonkkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
patson77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
Looks promising! But HC I tried both from filter sponge and rock wool before. Really better not to use those from filter sponge because:

1) High likelihood to contain unwanted pests.
2) Very hard to plant deep deep... so sure float. Now don't float, next time when it grows thick will float.
Yup.. i bought the kind u mentioned for my first tank. These few patches I bought doesn't come with the filter or wool, plainly roots. Hope they start to root themselves after a few days.
Old 15-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
Heuer
Dragon

Reduce your light period to 5 hr to begin with. Add half hr for every 2 weeks as the plants start to grow.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

get ready for some lots of pest snails.. buy some assasin snail will do the job.. agree with bro huer, 5 - 6 hours for the first 2 week. But dun need so long to increase lighting, i would say after 2 weeks, increase to 5 - 7 and when the tank hits 1.5 months, 10hours/day.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #18
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patson77 View Post

Bro is it your lens or is the frame bending?
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
patson77

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
Reduce your light period to 5 hr to begin with. Add half hr for every 2 weeks as the plants start to grow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
get ready for some lots of pest snails.. buy some assasin snail will do the job.. agree with bro huer, 5 - 6 hours for the first 2 week. But dun need so long to increase lighting, i would say after 2 weeks, increase to 5 - 7 and when the tank hits 1.5 months, 10hours/day.
Point noted. . Jus went to reset my timer from 6 to 11. Yap will be getting assassin snails within this 2 days. Intend to go get some cheap shrimps to help combat possible algae problem oso, any breed to recommend?
Old 15-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #20
patson77

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
Bro is it your lens or is the frame bending?
Woah.... got the scared of my life after seeing the photo. Went immediately to check it out. Took a few other photos and measure the height with a measuring rule. Deduce it is the camera lens and the angle of the shot