Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
wandaywang
Arofanatic

Talking betta hammock or bed help please

Hi guys, wondering if any of you have ever made your own betta hammock or other kind of resting spot near the surface for your fish?

I've noticed my bettas have always liked to sleep right at the surface of the water and pretty much just slack around lying on something near the surface during the day.

Online i've seen products like a betta leaf bed and floating log, but i've also seen that some people overseas have connected silk plants to suction cups or made a hollow roll with plastic netting or weighed down a halved styrofoam cup.

Have any of you had experience making a betta hammock with materials in singapore? I have a 3foot community tank that i plan to make into a betta tank, so im trying to figure out how i can make natural looking resting spots for the fish along the surface of the tank. currently i have one fancy betta who is the laziest one i have ever had, he sits in the bottom of velcro's himself to the top of the piping from the cannister filter near the surface. So i would like to give him a natural space and create natural spaces for the other betta brothers that will eventually join him.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts, thanks!
wandaywang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
BettaFaNatiC
Senior Dragon

u shld try and update us! Your observations are right, betta tend to hide on these floating objects, probably nature's instinct to prevent attacks from crayfish or crabs haha
BettaFaNatiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
wandaywang
Arofanatic

My "velcro" betta passed away last week.. RIP Frosty Lips. so i guess i'll be ramping up my preparation for this since i dont have to worry about the young bettas disturbing the old man so much!

I am planning to get anubias attached to suction cups that i would put on the short side of the tank.

hopefully that gives a natural look!
Old 31-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Tarts

So sorry for your loss

You can try money plants or ketapang leaves. Usually I will put money plants in m spawning tanks. I noticed that the females like to lie on the floating leaves that are partially submerged, quite cute. For the ktp leaves you will have to change occasionally in case they rot. As for money plants so far mine have been in the tanks for quite long and all seems fine~
Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
wandaywang
Arofanatic

Trying with anubias:

I need to get more suction cups which have the circular rubber clasp type holder. Then I can chop my other anubias and make another glass attachment!
End goal is about 6 of these, my gobies (stiphodon ornatus) like to perch in high places too!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Jabby
Dragon

Nice creative idea.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Nice creative idea.
TS, looking good, thanks for sharing. Like to add...those angmohs also sell driftwoods with suckers so that u can stick onto side glass to give more dimension to the tank.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
wandaywang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
TS, looking good, thanks for sharing. Like to add...those angmohs also sell driftwoods with suckers so that u can stick onto side glass to give more dimension to the tank.
What does TS stand for? In singapore do u know anyplace that sells driftwood modified with suction cups?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandaywang View Post
What does TS stand for? In singapore do u know anyplace that sells driftwood modified with suction cups?
TS = thread starter. As for driftwoods with suction cups....you can DIY with this video below....hope it helps......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hstMrAHOmZ4
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, diy, tank setup