Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Default Fan or no fan

Very often I see hobbyists here posting topics on fans - of course the rationale is to cool the water temperature down.

My question is that if a shrimp tank is without fan and it goes between 28 to 29 deg., will it cause the dealth of shrimps or juz that it's not as active? I've seen some posting by Kuni ( a Japanese in S'pore in another forum) that he mentioned that even for CRS, as long as it's below 30deg., it's fine.

So is that anyone here keeping shrimps without fan and is successful even to breed them? Thanks.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
plantmania

Wierd weather nowadays, water temp can hit 34.... without some cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli
Very often I see hobbyists here posting topics on fans - of course the rationale is to cool the water temperature down.

My question is that if a shrimp tank is without fan and it goes between 28 to 29 deg., will it cause the dealth of shrimps or juz that it's not as active? I've seen some posting by Kuni ( a Japanese in S'pore in another forum) that he mentioned that even for CRS, as long as it's below 30deg., it's fine.

So is that anyone here keeping shrimps without fan and is successful even to breed them? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Yes, whether is hot nowadays and time pour like hell like now haha. But I've put in a thermomether, and it shows 28 to 29 within a day range. Since last week, I'm checking the water temp. and so far highest is 29.2 deg.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Wild Ginger
Dragon

I think personally, ya shld have a fan to be on e safe side fr e shrimps. As e temp goes higher, e tolerance of these shrimps will fluctuate n when reached beyond 30 degrees, they'll start dropping like flies.

Placement of tank in e household plays an important factor in e temp fluctuations. Fr eg, near e windowsill, dat's not advisable unless e whole room's air-conditioned. Roughly, shld have e tank where air circulation is plenty so e temp wld be regulated evenly n kept ard 27-28 degrees or so.

Regards,
Phillip.
Wild Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
simcb

With 36w lights on my planted tanks easily hit 31 deg during the hot period without fan.

I currently breeding Malayan and cherries at 26-28 degs most of the time with lights is 27 deg. I notice malayan tend to die whenever the temp fluncuates alot cause of the recent drought. Now with Profantic Fan on 24hrs(prevoiusly controlled with timer) = less casualties refering to malayan. I feel that cherry are more hardy than malayan as for cherry zero casualties so far.

29-30 is critical point for malayan as can see they go into shock hiding behind filter or CO2 reactor. ALL turning black/dark blue or swimming franatically around. Usually they are either brown red or a bit a translucent(indicating they are happy )

Depends on whether you want your shrimps to be healthy,happy and active.
If your lights arent strong, low light plants + windy place with no direct sunlight then no need to on fan all the time. But just in case install a thermometer + fan.(see temp too high then on fan or $4 timer to on/off during the day)

Cant wait to go to the next level CRS!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Thanks guys. Are the fans noisy?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
simcb

Quote:
Profantic (so far not noisy for me)....i bought it at 40 bucks each(Been using for 3 weeks). Not sure abt other fan though. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Can this Profantic be plug directly to the ac main or require an adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcb
Profantic (so far not noisy for me)....i bought it at 40 bucks each(Been using for 3 weeks). Not sure abt other fan though. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
NGuy

Quote:
it will depend on the time of the day, ie. during the day or night.... basically, u will be able to hear the sound of the blade rotating and if the fan is on 24/7, u will be surprise by how loud it can get in the middle of the night.....
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
simcb

Quote:
Can this Profantic be plug directly to the ac main or require an adapter?
No need adaptor(large fan with cable didnt see any adapter)....its been modified..... 2 square pin head. Just plug and blow
Better cause dont have to worry where to hang the heavy adapter(DIY ones).....come with tank clips and braces...to clip on.

Expensive as compared to diy fans.(Which have to diy it yourself)