Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #41
six0one
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Red View Post
Impressive setup with auto water top up
Equipped . No hassle on WC !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markvtec2 View Post
Can ur "3-stage" tap water filter comprising of 1 x sediment and 2 x carbon remove chloramine and chlorine. Wanted to have auto top up system like yours as i water change 70% new water each time.
here's a detailed look at my sump auto WC system as well as my moss "nitrate remover"...

here's my sump set up again...there's at least 20kg of Momotaro providing the biological filtration which is complimented by the OHF K1 filter. Also in my overflow compartment, I have about 20-30kg of pumice stone acting as the dry trickle filter(sorry no photo for that.

Water passing through all the Bacteria House overflows into the last compartment and passes through my java moss which is kept in place by black sponge. Water then gets pumped back to main tank.K1 OHF by a Laguna Max-Flo 6000.

to further help control the nitrate/nitrite level, I've got a small Dymax pump rated at 200l/hr hooked up to a timer. The timer is set to switch on twice a day for 15min each. This will discharge about 75l of water down the overflow pipe. As the water is discharge, drop in water level will trigger the auto top up to activate.

six0one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
Nic73
Dragon

Thumbs up

Very nice full cabinet tank and the livestocks looks good too!
Nic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Very well design and plan for auto water discharge system. That really gives a goodmidea for bros looking to change tank. Thanks for sharing. Is there any reason why your sump is so small?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #44
six0one
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Very well design and plan for auto water discharge system. That really gives a goodmidea for bros looking to change tank. Thanks for sharing. Is there any reason why your sump is so small?
my wife needs the rest of the cabinet for her SHOES!!!!! that's why I maximize all the space I have to support my "mini" sump i.e. K1 OHF (which I've come to believe is an excellent bio-filter) as well as making my main tank overflow compartment as a trickle filter. So far my water seems ok with the current bio-load. *fingers crossed*

Last edited by six0one; 06-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #45
gereld_hor
Endangered Dragon

Thumbs up

nice tankset and setup.. have a ssimilar idea in mind, but onli worry is the higher moisture content will cause the shoes to turn moldy..
gereld_hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #46
six0one
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereld_hor View Post
nice tankset and setup.. have a ssimilar idea in mind, but onli worry is the higher moisture content will cause the shoes to turn moldy..
Hmmm don't think so as shoe cabinet and tank do not share common compartment so I do no think that moisture will "seep" across cabinet compartments. The sump and main tank compartment are equipped with exhaust fans on the side of the cabinet to draw out moist air. Will share photos later when I have time.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #47
bian27
Dragon

Default Auto change

[QUOTE=six0one;9201998]here's a detailed look at my sump auto WC system as well as my moss "nitrate remover"...

here's my sump set up again...there's at least 20kg of Momotaro providing the biological filtration which is complimented by the OHF K1 filter. Also in my overflow compartment, I have about 20-30kg of pumice stone acting as the dry trickle filter(sorry no photo for that.

Water passing through all the Bacteria House overflows into the last compartment and passes through my java moss which is kept in place by black sponge. Water then gets pumped back to main tank.K1 OHF by a Laguna Max-Flow

to further help control the nitrate/nitrite level, I've got a small Dymax pump rated at 200l/hr hooked up to a timer. The timer is set to switch on twice a day for 15min each. This will discharge about 75l of water down the overflow pipe. As the water is discharge, drop in water level will trigger the auto top up to activate.

Bro, base on 75L x 2x per day, work out to be 1050L per week.. That's abt 2 x volume of water for your 5ft tank.
bian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #48
Squirt168

Quote:
Originally Posted by six0one View Post
here's a detailed look at my sump auto WC system as well as my moss "nitrate remover"...

Water passing through all the Bacteria House overflows into the last compartment and passes through my java moss which is kept in place by black sponge. Water then gets pumped back to main tank.K1 OHF by a Laguna Max-Flo 6000.

Hi Bro, how do you grow moss in your sump?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #49
six0one
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=bian27;9204783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by six0one View Post

Water passing through all the Bacteria House overflows into the last compartment and passes through my java moss which is kept in place by black sponge. Water then gets pumped back to main tank.K1 OHF by a Laguna Max-Flow

Bro, base on 75L x 2x per day, work out to be 1050L per week.. That's abt 2 x volume of water for your 5ft tank.
OMG! you are so right! Back to the drawing board to scale back on the auto water change. Looks like I've got to whip out my stopwatch and 1.5L COKE bottle to have a better gauge of amount of water discharge. Will update you guys on changes made.
Cheers bro, Upzzz to you for spotting that
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #50
six0one
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt168 View Post
Hi Bro, how do you grow moss in your sump?
Hi bro,
the moss was from my planted tank. How well it is going to grow in the sump is still not known as this set up is only about 2-3 weeks old. I hope it does its intended job, i.e. suck up nitrate. Will update this thread as the tank matures a bit more. I'll hope to document test kit results to show if this set up works or not....fingers crossed