Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 18-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #31
lincolngoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post
trueBlu goldies are fugly... hahaha bulletHeads smallsmall n short pectorals w small tails but COLOUR intensity isssh No Horse RUN
Frankly for the added size, broadness, finnage, gold head and crossing(not sure about this), I can forgive the lost of 10% on shine.

Last edited by lincolngoh; 18-02-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 18-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #32
Castbug
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohow View Post
I'm still not very sure abt HB are pure low grade XBs.
how does the farm graded the xb as low grade?
if it's xb, y can't they sold it as XB instead of hiback instead?
is it due to later growth of the shines does not cross over level 6?
(not to mention able Xb pearl development yet)
It varies from farm to farm. So you gotta know the farmer to know what you are getting.
Castbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
Castbug
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
Frankly for the added size, broadness, finnage, gold head and crossing(not sure about this), I can forgive the lost of 10% on shine.
Me too man.. Guess the color intensity is everything in an xback.
Castbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #34
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromaniac View Post
Wow…..never expected so good and overwhelming the responses, feedbacks, debates, Q & A received….it’s really good and positive inputs…….learning and sharing………thanks a lot to some bros and sis in participating to help give the right inputs and correct answers……… I also learnt a lot new knowledge from all of u…..well, let this orang lama sit back a while to let the old diesel engine to run smoothly b4 trying best to dig the facts or what I know to answer and to share with all further……..don’t hesitate to correct me for I do make a lot of mistakes too…..to err is human……being orang lama, I consider myself made the most mistakes in life among all of u……..I am still learning and dying to learn more correct stuff too……
Sorry huh uncle,

my angmo no good 1....u made mistake nevermind, u want to post anything oso can........BUT dun bring us to HolLan
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #35
UncleTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromaniac View Post
Also be advised that since the present famous strains of XBs are hybrids, so you do not expect all the offspring come out the same. Some fries may even turn out to look more like Super Reds or RTG. It is going to take still a long time to stabilize the strain.
So far I haven't seen any Arowana as a hybrid.

Since i started with flowerhorn, i may be able to share a little. There is a hybrid call 'Blood Parrot Fish'. ( http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/bloodparrot8.jpg ).

This hybrid is a creation from different Cichlid breed. As the biological of blood parrot is different from its parents thus is name as a hybrid.

Note that crossbreed of Cichlid doesn't means that it will produce a hybrid. Most cases would be another mix cichlid and still under cichlid family.

By crossing the hybrid blood parrot with a cichlid will give you a another new type of fish which we call it 'Flowerhorn'. It support to be a category by itself but till now most people still classified it under Cichlid Family.

You can crossbreed flowerhorn and give you various colour, size, shape and shine of flowerhorn. And the result is still flowerhorn. Due to hybrid, there is a possibility that the offspring can have fallback gene. Some will look like cichlid. Once u stable the crossing. You will have a new breed of flowerhorn.

So in summary, you can have crossbreed for cichlid, or crossbreed for Flowerhorn. Blood parrot is a hybrid and not a crossbreed.

Arowana have different breed and you can cross breed them. And the cross breed is still arowana and not a hybrid from arowana crossing. Ton Yan is a crossbreed and not a hybrid.

Think your friend have to re-write his article since you say he has post in different forum.
Old 18-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #36
jwhtan
Barney

Flowerhorn are hybrids.

Arowanas have crossbreeds.

When two completely different genus are put together, that's a hybrid. Like say, if Human can breed with Monkey, that's a hybrid. But when Indian breed with Chinese, that's a crossbreed.

In arowana terms, that's akin to a jardini breeding with an asian. Two different species altogether. If u can do that, then that's a hybrid. But when a red cross with a gold, that's a crossbreed.

If u can't even get this simple thing right, then the rest of what u r trying to put across leaves even much more to be desired.

And oh well, the MG is called Malayan Gold and not Malaysian Gold.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #37
cucumber
Senior Dragon

1st time I see people say RTG gold tone is better than XB...
cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #38
Sas
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber View Post
1st time I see people say RTG gold tone is better than XB...
http://www.aroclubindonesia.com/foru...ead.php?t=7469

This RTG tone swee boh? Just a bit paler than xback?
Sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
cucumber
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sas View Post
http://www.aroclubindonesia.com/foru...ead.php?t=7469

This RTG tone swee boh? Just a bit paler than xback?
I used to have one just like this from Panda.... very niceeee... and body shape also swee swee... This type of RTG not so common lah ...
cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #40
Newcovenant78

thanks for sharing. .Good info. . learn something new today