Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 14-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
B.Tig

I would also wait out on getting a ray bro, maybe start off with something first to cycle the tank. Once you feel confident I would get a ray and start off with something easy like a motoro.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
iko

Sorry TS for hijacking .. Hmmm I'm scared to handle a ray with my hands. So if the stings are replaced and the rubber tube is off how do I put it back on?
Old 14-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
yanki2
Endangered Dragon

im just curious. do you all keep putting your hands into your tanks and play with your fishes? if not why worry about the sting? seldom you see other tankmates being stung by the rays let alone human. its often when we wanna catch them out and even so, its very rare that we will get stung. what i experience is even when I am washing the tank or redecorating my tank and I put my hand into the tank, rays normally shy away from us.

Why insist on putting the tube? peop put the tube so that the sting dont pierce the bags.

put yourself in the shoe of the rays, do you like to wear condom on your sting all the time?
yanki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Delon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki2 View Post
im just curious. do you all keep putting your hands into your tanks and play with your fishes? if not why worry about the sting? seldom you see other tankmates being stung by the rays let alone human. its often when we wanna catch them out and even so, its very rare that we will get stung. what i experience is even when I am washing the tank or redecorating my tank and I put my hand into the tank, rays normally shy away from us.

Why insist on putting the tube? peop put the tube so that the sting dont pierce the bags.

put yourself in the shoe of the rays, do you like to wear condom on your sting all the time?
Bro I totally agree with your statement. The only time my friend got stung was when he jump into the pond to do cleaning and accidentally step on rays, other than that precedent seldom come across rays stinging someone inside captive aquariums. Just my opinion
Old 14-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
taizi
Dragon

the rays normally doesnt even sting u when u touch them so why wanna put the tube ? just dun keep on hand itchy and touch them'
taizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Dwight Howard

Quote:

Totally agree with you bro. Rays are not as scary as you think. In fact, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. You try to touch them, they swim away. They will use their stinger as their last way of defense.
Old 15-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #17
iko

well i under stand the condom part LOL! but i scared i do cleaning or what get sting.. better to be save then sorry right? so how?
Old 15-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iko View Post
well i under stand the condom part LOL! but i scared i do cleaning or what get sting.. better to be save then sorry right? so how?
Bro,
if u need to do cleaning, use methods that do not involve yr hand waving around yr ray.

I suggest u read up on ray keeping, maybe visit other hobbyists' set up to get a feel of things.

All the ray hobbyists, ray breeders that I know who have been stung ( about 6 of them)are still alive and well.

This article is good to read and keep by yr tank for a start.
http://www.potamotrygon.de/fremdes/s...%20article.htm
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
haha! unfortunately, this "sting" doesnt renew every 6 months. hahaha
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
sebarau
Dragon

Fully agree with conchabullosa. Read and equip your self with the knowlegde on rays and then decide are you up to it or not from the perspective of equipmement and also responsibility. Err probably financial as well as we keep seing posting how to safe electricity by swithing of pumps/filter popping up every now and then.
sebarau is offline   Reply With Quote