Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
alcohologist

Default crocodile fish

anyone seen fish like this around?

or have any experience, info regarding this family? very interested to add something like this to my sw predatory tank.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
JackFish
Dragon

Hi there, i see that u are looking at new additions... im sure it will be a great addition.. i always see this fella with stonefishes and scorpion fishes.. they adopt a similar way of blending into the environment. They may belong to the same grp. if im not wrong they can grow to quite large. I see them blending in broken ship wrecks.. Scorpion and stonefishes are poisonous.. their spikes on the tip of their fins are.. u can check them out... Keep us updated!
JackFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
alcohologist

yeah, want something more uncommon though. [just picked up a bluethroat trigger and a zebra moray today.] find the long slender body of this species attractive. never liked stonefish, scorpionfish or frogfish much unless they're outrageously coloured, and those specimens tend to be quite expensive. these crocodile fish behave a like stonefish but i dont think they have venemous spines. anyone know for sure? and jackfish, when you say you've seen them, do you mean in sg fish shops?
Old 13-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
maxteo98

crocodile fish spines are not poisonous. In fact, it's a real good tasting fish, anglers in Australia love it very much.

this species can also be caught in sg water too. did not see it available for sales in any lfs.

it usually lies on top of sandy beds hunting for any things that swims by.

it's has beautiful eyes http://www.visualdiving.com/pics/uw473_05.jpg
maxteo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
JackFish
Dragon

Hey... i have not seen it in shops.. i seen it while diving.. haha..
JackFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
dragonfly_sg

Locally there is a fish call "Flathead", it look almost like that in the the first picture but the side profile is more flat. You won't see it in the LFS, instead go around bedok jetty, and sometime they'll get caught. See if you can convince the fisherman to sell a live one to you.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
alcohologist

thanks for the info guys, yeah i find the eyes very striking. more cephalopod-like than fish.
does anyone have alternate species recommendations since it doesnt look like i'll be finding this fish in our LFSs? not interested in stonefish/frogfish though.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
davidw
Dragon

U can ask yur local LFS to import for u, a lot of exporters in US and all kinds of fish u can find from internet....... I usually do that with my LFS... thats what I normally do....
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
fleabag

Use to catch big flatheads when go casting at changi beach during the night is a food fish sometimes can see in wet market not easy to get live fishes in LFS as not much in demand .
Old 14-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Danny Archer

Very nice fish,looks fierce!!
Thanks for sharing